Help with Four wheeler winch cable

Aquaholic

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep having my cable shred and snap for my snow blade. Couple times last year and twice this winter;:;banghead. What is causing this? Its snapping at the entrance to the winch, leaving my hook to the blade with a 8 inch tail. Am I sucking it up too tight? Can I put a protective cover on it? My cable snapped this last time as I was pulling it up after pushing a pile of snow. I can hear the strain of the winch when I pull it back up through the pile. It does have a black stopper cushion on it. The break happens before the cushion.

Thanks for any help.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has to do more with the angle than anything. Get yourself a synthetic cable and you should be good to go.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out amsteel and I believe you can get it at rigging and tool in Bismarck.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got a synthetic rope on mine with protective sheath and have only broke 1 rope in 3 years and I do allot of plowing... the key in keeping the rope in good shape is make sure the sheath is over the rope at all times where it goes over the rollers of the winch. I stop every so often while I plow to check and make sure it's covered cause of your doing allot of constant up and down I noticed the sheath likes to ride up and not protect the rope..... good luck and hope you make the switch to rope

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have a roller fairlead on your winch. You could also put a cable stopper on it.

Your cable should be going straight up and down for the most part.
812iFcQR4OL._SL1500_.jpg

dsharp83

Founding Member
Founding Member
back away from the pile and then lift the blade may help also

Aquaholic

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks. I will try all those tricks. When I was a kid we had a lever for our four wheeler blade. I can't believe I still have a knee cap as many times as that thing flung back when cruising and blading.;:;badidea

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I go along with velvazv18. I never used the steel cable. I bought the synthetic right away and that was 10 years ago. At first I broke some, but closer inspection it was cutting on the blade mount. I installed a syntheric three inch side boat trailer roller. I had to make my own mount, but the new synthetic rope is five years old now and has not broke once. Like dsharp83 mentioned back up slightly before lifting. I didn't do that thinking of the rope, but the way it pulled down on the 4 wheeler I thought it may wreck my front end.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
What kind of four wheeler is it? Its more then likely the angle like some other had mentioned. I had to buy a pull system for my blade because my winch was mounted too low and it was drying to pull the blade into the 4wheeler versus lifting it. I also have had issues with my cable and it fraying. I just keep cutting chunks off till its too short and then I will replace with synthetic rope I have waiting patiently on my shelf.

link to pulley system - https://www.denniskirk.com/518150.s...i5pCh3cgAOoEAQYAiABEgJWCfD_BwE&ad=46766398717

my set up

Screenshot_20180306-191728.jpg

pulley system.JPG

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
As stated above,agreed dump the cable and get the rope,also less wear on the wench while pushing snow slowly lift the plow as you get to the end of the push,whole lot easier on your equipment this way rather than lift from a dead stop,3 years and only re-tied the rope once,wore the sleeve out long ago so I use the handy man's secret weapon these days..."duct tape"

Also for guyz thinking about buying a wench beware,lots of options out there but if you intend to plow with said wench upgrade to steel gears in the wench,composite gears are about $100 less but will wear out more quickly maybe less than two season if you plow alot.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go with the synthetic rope, make sure you buy a new fairlead. The old cable probably chewed up the old one and said fairlead will cut your new synthetic rope.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 35