How do you clean fish?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
with Big City Nights by the Scorpions playing in the background...

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, very efficiently. More so to the point i cant stand watching people massacre fish at the cleaning station that I offer to help.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't get through the whole video. Did they keep the cheeks or throw them away?

Other than that. I fillet and de-bone fish with an electric knife. I clean fish with cold water, or, sometimes I'll throw fillets into a cooler with ice and water and let the ride home scrub the fillets clean.

HuntFish4life

the right way, I to offer to help, when I can clean 15 in the time it takes one person to clean two, and it happen just a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe it. crazy, the new ion rapala is awesome.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fish anatomy is pretty crazy when you think about it. Like underwater aliens

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
the right way, I to offer to help, when I can clean 15 in the time it takes one person to clean two, and it happen just a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe it. crazy, the new ion rapala is awesome.

Nice of you to offer. Of course though, they learn by doing.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am likely a weirdo, but I keep fish from getting in contact with water as much as possible. After growing up with fish frozen in milk carton mushy icky fish, I happened to read an article and took it to heart. Basically filet, remove bones, rinse to remove any internal junk, pat dry, refrigerate over a bed of ice, then vacuum pack. I don't have a vacuum packer so I tightly wrap in saran wrap (individual pieces, like 8 per fish) and then into a freezer bag. To thaw put as many pieces as I want in a ziploc bag, seal and put in cool water, or just air/fridge thaw if I have ample time. Much better tasting than my old method, anyone else do something similiar?

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am likely a weirdo, but I keep fish from getting in contact with water as much as possible. After growing up with fish frozen in milk carton mushy icky fish, I happened to read an article and took it to heart. Basically filet, remove bones, rinse to remove any internal junk, pat dry, refrigerate over a bed of ice, then vacuum pack. I don't have a vacuum packer so I tightly wrap in saran wrap (individual pieces, like 8 per fish) and then into a freezer bag. To thaw put as many pieces as I want in a ziploc bag, seal and put in cool water, or just air/fridge thaw if I have ample time. Much better tasting than my old method, anyone else do something similiar?

holy shit man someone needs to buy your cheap ass a vac sealer for christmas

- - - Updated - - -

Father's Day. boom! tell your kids

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
for most fish I use a cheap electric bread knife, its a bit duller than my electric fillet knife I won and I dont cut through the backbones and butcher the fish as bad lol but I have to make sure I keep my knife hand dry as I have been "tickled" a few times as they are not water proof. When I have a bigger catfish I just skin it and then bone it out, then cut into smaller pieces just before cooking.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, very efficiently. More so to the point i cant stand watching people massacre fish at the cleaning station that I offer to help.

It is amazing what you can get people to do if you act incompetent ;) Nothing better than standing back drinking a cold beer while someone else cleans your fish or field dresses you deer.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty much do the same other than a partial freeze before I vacuum seal

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It takes a world class ego to walk up to a stranger and offer to clean his fish because you don’t like the way he does it

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep F that. I'll just stand and watch someone BUTCHER their own fish. "Practice makes perfect" is one of my mottos. ;:;popcorn If camping, I will ice down my fish and come back when the station isn't so busy, if not camping I'll take them home and clean them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33