Hunting Socks/Liner Socks

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a new pair of hunting boots to break in this year. I think i want to go to a two sock system. The boots are un-insulated and will mostly be used for mild weather (bow season stalking and upland hunting). Does anybody have any recommendations on a good wicking liner sock/outer sock combo? In the past i have always just used a single synthetic or merino sock.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a synthetic wool blend sock all year. Mostly nylon and wool in a 30/70 blend. I can walk for pheasants as well as sit for deer without issue.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, just buy a couple different brands of high quality wool/synthetic hiking socks - of varying different thickness, and combine those with a "girl's" sock (liners) under them. Reason I say "girl's sock" is because they remind me of all my mom's socks when I was a little kid - almost like panty hose.

I think the reason liners are preferred is because the liner holds good to your skin and the liner slips across the outside sock when needed. That prevents blisters and has a magic way of feeling pretty good even when your socks get soaked, etc. Without a liner when your sock gets soaked it starts grabbing your skin and working up blisters or just starts wadding up and feeling crappy.

I started wearing liners 20 years ago and once you do you can't go back. Just buy two quality liners and two quality socks and you'll be happy with one of the combinations IMO.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish they made something like that for my sack.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, but you will probably feel "pretty" every time you slip them on... ha ha ha.

Honest to gosh I actually felt a little femmy putting them on for the first time 20 years ago.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they will keep me more comfortable and in the field longer, I give a damn. Blisters Suck!!! Besides, I could probably use a good dose of "pretty" as I obviously can't get enough beauty sleep.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
if i wear these do i get a tiara also? because i'm totally down if i do... ;:;popcorn

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are very attractive in many ways KD. Anyone who says otherwise is a tool.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
First lite mountain athlete or darn tough socks who have a life time warranty so if they get a hole send in and get a new pair.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with Guy. The liners and wool blend socks work good.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A quality pair of socks like darn tough do not require a liner. They are a little pricey up front, but the lifetime warranty helps ease the pain. They make a variety of options to fit everyone's needs. I've worn the same pair for 7 days with no issues or smell. If blisters are a concern, apply Leukotape P Sports Tape to the blister prone areas BEFORE the blisters start to form.

Socks Addict and GoBros usually have some pretty good sales on quality socks.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW, training recruits and keeping their feet in good shape don't go together very well so we were the guinea pigs for the government testing labs and the liners were the ticket but that was in San Diego and Parris Island so I don't know about the cold. All of the hats wore single wool/poly mix Thorlos and SmartWool mountaineering socks. Look into hiking and mountaineering for quality shit, same goes for hunting undergarments and base layers.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, just buy a couple different brands of high quality wool/synthetic hiking socks - of varying different thickness, and combine those with a "girl's" sock (liners) under them. Reason I say "girl's sock" is because they remind me of all my mom's socks when I was a little kid - almost like panty hose.

I think the reason liners are preferred is because the liner holds good to your skin and the liner slips across the outside sock when needed. That prevents blisters and has a magic way of feeling pretty good even when your socks get soaked, etc. Without a liner when your sock gets soaked it starts grabbing your skin and working up blisters or just starts wadding up and feeling crappy.

I started wearing liners 20 years ago and once you do you can't go back. Just buy two quality liners and two quality socks and you'll be happy with one of the combinations IMO.

Do these liners go all the way up to your waist? Do they have a fly zipper, or do you sit down when tinkling?

I'm only kidding.

Do they come in one set of colors for before Labor Day, and another after?

I'm only kidding.

Can they be purchased at Claires, or 5-7-9, or both?

I'm only kidding.

Will the hooves that I call my heels (barefoot most of the summer) chew right through them, or are they infused with carbon fiber threads?

Not kidding about that last part...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32