• Propane

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • Electric

Votes: 121 50.4%

• Total voters

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weight on new augers is becoming a non factor. All the new 4 stroke lite versions are pretty light overall. I switched to electric for the simple reason it’s one less motor to take care of. I get sick and tired of changing oil and whatnot on 15 motors. With the Strikemaster 40v and two batteries I’ll be able to drill more holes than I care to in a day. My plan in the near future is to drill even less. With all the new graph technology coming out like Panoptix etc, drilling 100 holes panfishing will be a thing of the past. In most situations I don’t have to drill many holes to walleye fish. The rare exception of Winnipeg I’ll figure it out. We generally have a ton of augers anyways so 40 holes a day or so is achievable with two batteries. Plus I can recharge the second battery in the fish house. Easy. That’s my personal take. To each their own.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Say what you want. I fish the hardwater more than most. But forget me, what would I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Pussies need base plates.......

- - - Updated - - -

Or a justified reason for spending more money, added weight and bulk.

Must be a few here sponsored by clam.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a gas Eskimo that I bought twenty years ago that has ran like a charm the whole time I have owned it. It has drilled literally hundreds of holes. I just fired it up the other day and it runs like the day I bought it. The thing has really impressed me. If it ever takes a crap I’d have to go with another Eskimo.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ I've had zero issues with mine as well Sum...only 2 seasons. I've never cut more than 15 holes in a day tho...so trying to sell the gas-will buy electric if I do. But the Eskimo has been bullet proof for me so far...

Sold my Eskimo...gonna pick up the 8 inch Strikemaster Lithium 40v this weekend.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a K-drill and haven't used the Jiffy since. Love it! Light weight, drills plenty fast enough for me and got an inverter to charge the batteries when needed. Can use the Milwaukee drill year round and never have to mess with gas or oil.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
AS long as it goes voom-voom with out yanking your arm off or zing-zing when you pull the trigger.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

Anyone giving the pistol bit a whirl?

I am personally not a fan of the shaver blades, but anxious to hear feedback on these.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^I'm confused by the Eskimo Drill bit. Why would i pay $250 for that when i can buy the Eskimo hand auger for $50 and attach it to a drill? It looks like they even use the same blades:confused:. I also think the K-drill is way overpriced for what it is, but at least i get some good blades that wont dull in dirty ice with that thing.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
^^I'm confused by the Eskimo Drill bit. Why would i pay $250 for that when i can buy the Eskimo hand auger for $50 and attach it to a drill? It looks like they even use the same blades:confused:. I also think the K-drill is way overpriced for what it is, but at least i get some good blades that wont dull in dirty ice with that thing.

My thoughts exactly.

Picked up a new Eskimo hand auger bit, 7" for $35, and put it on a Clam Plate. Slick and cheap!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's got that ring around the bottom so you can use it to open old/partially frozen holes. You can't do that with the hand auger, but yeah, I agree. I have been preaching the Eskimo hand auger on here for years but very few have listened. It's an awesome setup with the Clam plate and an Ion extension. This will be mine and my friends 5th year using this setup. Last two years we've gone two weekends to Winnipeg and have used nothing but this electric setup with zero issues.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone around the Minot area wants to try the Eskimo hand auger bit with ion extension you’re more than welcome to try mine. I put one together then decided I needed the k drill too so I no longer use the Eskimo. I’ll sell it real cheap cuz it just sits in the garage now.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I put an Eskimo Quantum bit on my clam plate now. Thinking it will be similar to the video above. I'll report back. Hopefully I get out this weekend.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Monday was the "maiden" trip for the Strikemaster Lithium 40v...smooth as butter...but of course only 5 inches of ice. Real test comes in about 6 weeks when it's gotta cut through 30 plus inches.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's got that ring around the bottom so you can use it to open old/partially frozen holes. You can't do that with the hand auger, but yeah, I agree. I have been preaching the Eskimo hand auger on here for years but very few have listened. It's an awesome setup with the Clam plate and an Ion extension. This will be mine and my friends 5th year using this setup. Last two years we've gone two weekends to Winnipeg and have used nothing but this electric setup with zero issues.

Why the Ion extension?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I realize this thread is mostly 'bout the fancy 'lectric mcsnizzle augers. But I have a 30 year old jiffy that I broke out this week. It needs a carb kit but still made holes. My question is: Has anyone taken the gear case apart, mine seems noisy?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I realize this thread is mostly 'bout the fancy 'lectric mcsnizzle augers. But I have a 30 year old jiffy that I broke out this week. It needs a carb kit but still made holes. My question is: Has anyone taken the gear case apart, mine seems noisy?

Yes , Not much to them. must be dry . Is there a grease zerk on yours ?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 198
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57