Ice reports

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
nelson lake is froze over. unit 2 at minnkota has been down since the early part of sept. so the lake is not nearly as warm as usual. it will be comin back online next week though.
Well you can't sit in the hot tub without the jets going.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
do they stock lake george or salt lake or is too salty for freshwater fish.
Does anyone know biology well enough to know if lakes like George could be stocked with fish that live in brackish water or one of the fish such as salmon that can live in both salt and fresh? Be a cool little twist to have a lake with fish you would not normally think of being here. They would definitely need to be able to handle fluctuations in salinity from the wet years to the dry years but could be fun.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
dean nelson;119255[U said:
]Does anyone know biology well enough to know if lakes like George could be stocked with fish that live in brackish water or one of the fish such as salmon that can live in both salt and fresh?[/U] Be a cool little twist to have a lake with fish you would not normally think of being here. They would definitely need to be able to handle fluctuations in salinity from the wet years to the dry years but could be fun.

I don't know Biology but I surf google,

Zander (Sander lucioperca) is a species of fish from freshwater and brackish habitats in western Eurasia. It is a popular game fish and has been introduced to a variety of localities outside its native range

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice Report:

Ice is formed @ 32F and below. Ice is unique in that when it solidifies from it's liquid form it increases in volume whereas other substances decrease in volume as they solidify.

Ice is hard, cold, and slippery.

The end.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know biology well enough to know if lakes like George could be stocked with fish that live in brackish water or one of the fish such as salmon that can live in both salt and fresh? Be a cool little twist to have a lake with fish you would not normally think of being here. They would definitely need to be able to handle fluctuations in salinity from the wet years to the dry years but could be fun.

Bull sharks then have the hippies go swim there

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
With conditions like the next 7-10days. Single digit highs at the warmest and lows in the (-) each night how long does the big lake take to officially freeze over? I've never really paid much attention to that . Will it take more to freeze that over than the next 10 days?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not talking like ice fishing safe etc but when they declare it froze over for good

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
With conditions like the next 7-10days. Single digit highs at the warmest and lows in the (-) each night how long does the big lake take to officially freeze over? I've never really paid much attention to that . Will it take more to freeze that over than the next 10 days?

Pard in Devils spoke of "Deadliest Catch-esque" type waves in the road going S outta town. Those big waves make for lots more surface area and it sucks the heat outta the water faster. Devils slicked over over night after the wind subsided.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know Biology but I surf google,

Zander (Sander lucioperca) is a species of fish from freshwater and brackish habitats in western Eurasia. It is a popular game fish and has been introduced to a variety of localities outside its native range
The question for me is do these lakes have sufficient oxygen to sustain fish or not. As for brackish fish pike are a big one but I personally would love to see something different somthing more like stripped bass or snook although the snook probably wouldn't be big fans of our winters. I assume there's a catch in there somewhere or someone would have tried it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
OAHE is skinned over from Yates to at least Pollock now. I took 1806 tonight to Mobridge and I couldn't tell but it looked like north of the train bridge was froze. I would bet from Mobridge North is ice. The Grand was froze to the singing bridge. The steam coming off the water around Mobridge was impressive, and it looked like it made a cloud. Had I had the time a few pics would really have been cool into the sunset. With the temps we are having should be able to fish next weekend easy.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The temps we are having I bet guys will be out there tomorrow ...ice fishermen are the craziest group of sportsman around. we should be sitting pretty but next weekend and we will get to watch the reports of trucks going through because some people failed math class.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
From Carey at 6 Mile Corner Bait & Tackle

The Store will open for Winter Hours starting on Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m. and will be open 7 days a week.

Lake Audubon Ice Report.

To my surprise the lake is probably about 98% ice covered. I did not check any ice thickness but with the temps the way they are I am sure we will gain and inch or 2 a night for awhile.

So that is the good news. The bad news is most access is blocked due to snow drifts. Here is a list of access and condition;

Totten Trail-good access

3 Mile-access is blocked

Cabin Site boat ramp-road blocked 3/4 way in by one snow drift, would be about a 100 yard walk to the ramp.

Culvert on hwy 8-good access

Velva Bay, road blocked from the north and from the east.

Old Church Bay, road is blocked to the gate but you can get to the corner.

Canal-access plugged.

Nelson Bay-good access.

Refuge access's-good but ice is all drift ice and looks terrible.

Remember there is really never "SAFE" ice, use a spud bar as you walk out on these areas because there is open holes all over the place......

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be checking Sweet Briar and Crown Butte today I'm guessing guys have already been out on the ice at both of those places but I'll try and give an official report.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I drove by crown butte on Thursday there were two people out fishing. I'm really curious how thick it is.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member

Salinity is not nearly as much of an issue as oxygen, depth, PH, and forage base. Ive caught perch, carp, stone crab, and bluefish off the same dock, i think most fish can thrive in brackish water, spawning is another story.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rolled by Hobart today and it's all froze over. No geese that I could see keeping a hole open anywhere either. Be Safe Guys!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46