ID help

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dip shit as i did not read the whole post and am enjoying my beer so no guess from me. db

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess Mink. Fishers look nearly as big as a fox in the wild.

Seeing a Fisher is a bit like seeing a wolf. When you see a wolf, you don't have to wonder if it's a wolf or a coyote. When you see a Fisher, you'll not mistake it or have to wonder if it's a Mink.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bottom picture is 40 minutes later and is leaving a whole new set of tracks in the snow. So you have TWO DIFFERENT ANIMALS to begin with. The last one looks to be a porcupine, and the top one is much more difficult. I'm guessing a mink.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Otter is most likely not the answer as no water close enough for them, I was thinking mink or fisher but the location being north of Mandan, it isn't an area they say Fisher inhabit. 3 Years ago I seen an animal I thought was a Fisher climbing a tree in this same area, but it was too far off to get a positive ID. this is the first picture on this type so was trying to get other opinions on what others thought. I would guess mink or fisher but not sure which it could be. This is a picture of a fox at the same hole the next day for another size reference. 1st fox I've had on camera in the location in over 10 years, a lot of weird stuff on camera this winter
80fox1.JPG

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The OP is only wondering about the first animal, in the first two pics. In the original post, he states that the last pic shows a porcupine for size reference only. He knows what a GD porcupine looks like.

*smugly shaking head while eating handfuls of popcorn...

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's under the snow that they are sniffing out ?
we put mineral you mix with the soil and Big & J blocks out throughout the year to help them get thru winter healthy when we can get out there. Too much snow this year so hadn't been there since mid-deer season, it is probably 2-3 deep or more there when that picture was taken. Not sure what a Mink or Fisher would smell there to dive in and check it out but once the first hole was made a lot of critters checked it out. Have pictures of porcupine, fox, coyotes, rabbit, squirrels all going in and out. guessing food been scarce this winter and they were checking out anything that could lead to something to eat

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
we put mineral you mix with the soil and Big & J blocks out throughout the year to help them get thru winter healthy when we can get out there. Too much snow this year so hadn't been there since mid-deer season, it is probably 2-3 deep or more there when that picture was taken. Not sure what a Mink or Fisher would smell there to dive in and check it out but once the first hole was made a lot of critters checked it out. Have pictures of porcupine, fox, coyotes, rabbit, squirrels all going in and out. guessing food been scarce this winter and they were checking out anything that could lead to something to eat
Mink or fisher would eat the porcupine, rabbit, squirrel, mice, and every other form of vermin you can think of. Hunting ruffs in MN I once bumped a fisher off of a fairly fresh deer carcass. The fisher didn't kill the deer, I suspect wolves had, but the fisher was going to town on what was left.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Shed hunting yesterday. Too much snow but found a buck with buttons just starting to come out. Looked good, not skinny with no marks on him. Damn. Fair number of deer running around in area. I believe between the plane and thermal scopes well over 70 coyotes have been kill in that one spot. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 179
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90