K Drill and a Milwaukee savings.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Not sure V, it comes with stainless flat blades. They sure seem to stay a lot sharper than my curved blades on the Strikemaster Lazer. Dull blades has not been a problem at all with this setup.

Thanks. I just ordered the setup. Going to give it a whirl.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Doing some research on the internet found some good information on clam plate with the 8'' lazer auger posted 1/2/2016 just go to clam plate ice auger- archive from Walley Central. Some good information.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So going off of quick internet numbers...

KDrill (250$) + Milwaukee combo kit (250$)= ~500$

Eskimo auger (50$) + Clam drill plate (60$) + Ion extension (30$) + Milwaukee Drill Combo Kit (250$)= ~390$

Is there a hand auger that uses chipper blades? Or a good flight for reopening holes? Would be nice to have that option if needed.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone run the dewalt on the K-drill? I have always been a dewalt guy but I would have no issues getting a Milwaukee as I know they make good tools. However, Acme has the DCK299P2 kit (hammer drill, impact, charger and 2 5AH batts) on sale for $250 and you also get a free 5 AH battery for a total of three 5 AH batts. Plus, they make an adapter so I can use the 20V batts on all my 18V tools. The drill in this kit is the DCD996. Thoughts???

I’ve used a DeWalt with the K drill for years. The Milwaukee thing was just a promotional sales thing. I know guys using Ridgid and even craftsman drills that work fine. I did finally break down and get a clam plate this year for it. No good reason why, I just did.

- - - Updated - - -

The Dewalt is brushless, right? Look at the torque specs between the two and if they're close you should be good.

Also, don't know why everyone is drooling over the k-drill. Go buy an Eskimo 8" hand auger for $49 and an Ion auger extension, hook them to a Clam plate and never look back. Been running this setup for the past 3 years. It cuts faster than the k-drill, but you can't reopen partially frozen holes with it.

I drool over the k drill because they cut old holes in a fish house which is important to me. What’s more important is I can overlap holes with that auger which works great for cutting blocks out for minnow traps as well as spearing. I have 2 sets of blades. If I dull one, I ship it in and they sharpen it and it’s back in a week.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
So going off of quick internet numbers...

KDrill (250$) + Milwaukee combo kit (250$)= ~500$

Eskimo auger (50$) + Clam drill plate (60$) + Ion extension (30$) + Milwaukee Drill Combo Kit (250$)= ~390$

Is there a hand auger that uses chipper blades? Or a good flight for reopening holes? Would be nice to have that option if needed.

I found an Eskimo 7" for $32, and a DeWalt drill (996) for $89, plus a 5ah battery for $49.99.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
When you go out hard water fishing with your cordless do any of you anglers take your gas auger as a backup? or do you have that much faith in them you dont need the gas auger, 90% of my ice fishing trips are over 100 miles so i will take my Mako as a backup to be on the safe side really sucks when your equipment takes a dive. :icegif:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use a Dewalt 20v brushless drill with my 8" hand auger and an adaptor. The drill is on sale at Lowes right now for $99. Still figuring out how much i like it. Not as great as a K-Drill auger, but will work until i'm in more than 15" of ice.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you go out hard water fishing with your cordless do any of you anglers take your gas auger as a backup? or do you have that much faith in them you dont need the gas auger, 90% of my ice fishing trips are over 100 miles so i will take my Mako as a backup to be on the safe side really sucks when your equipment takes a dive. :icegif:

We started out with at least one of us bringing a gas auger as a backup. We quickly learned that it was not needed as we gained confidence in the cordless drills. Now unless we are going to Winnipeg, we run cordless only.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sold my 8 inch model 30 a year ago after sitting in my garage for a couple years after going cordless. Even though it brought tears to my eyes sending it down the road after it being a stallion for all those years, I quickly adapted to my k drill/Milwaukee and am a happy camper.:cool: I bring my 10 inch model 30 with extension if I ever am looking for exercise and feel like punishing myself, or have some young guns along who think they are up to punching a ton of holes a day just for the fun of it. In other words, just cordless for me.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t bring a gas auger with anymore. Mine hasn’t even been started in 2 years.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
IMG_1819.jpg

Cost me $114. (I had the drill already)

It's very ... festive.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
tumblr_mcqj8bljTh1qm9g3do1_500.jpg

Cost me $114. (I had the drill already)

It's very ... festive.

Looks very similar to my set up, but I didn't buy the Ion extension. Instead picked up a 12" adaptor from Scheels for $15. I need some new blades for mine, but will wait til after this weekend to see how she's cutting and how thick the ice is.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88