K Drill and a Milwaukee savings.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, handing in my man card right now....why does it have to be brushless? I have the Dewalt DCD985, brushed version of the 995. No good? 20 volt, 5ah batteries, but brushed. I have the Eskimo auger, could do this really cheap if the 985 would work. Is it strictly battery life or am I risking damage to the drill?

the drill has to be brushless

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, handing in my man card right now....why does it have to be brushless? I have the Dewalt DCD985, brushed version of the 995. No good? 20 volt, 5ah batteries, but brushed. I have the Eskimo auger, could do this really cheap if the 985 would work. Is it strictly battery life or am I risking damage to the drill?

Brushless drills take take less power to turn and don’t overheat as easy. Will it wreck your drill that all depends on how many holes you want to drill.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think k-drill recommended Milwaukee brand as they said it was the only one with the all metal gear housing AND a 5 yr warranty.
And longer lasting battery in colder conditions.

Last edited:

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Anybody seeing any recent deals on the Kdrill and Milwaukee drill?
Mills Fleet Farm 8'' Kdrill for 219.00 best price i have seen. Cabelas Clam plate 60.00 as for a Millwakee Drill might try Acme Tools or Fastenal.

- - - Updated - - -

Mills Fleet Farm 8'' Kdrill for 219.00 best price i have seen. Cabelas Clam plate 60.00 as for a Millwakee Drill might try Acme Tools or Fastenal.
You might want to see if the Outfitters in Minot could match the price. Since the store is around your area. Just a thought!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I saw it on the Mills website, but by the time you add shipping and taxes, it brings the total close to 260$.
Outfitters in Minot does not have the 8" in stock and have not clue when they will get more in.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
I saw it on the Mills website, but by the time you add shipping and taxes, it brings the total close to 260$.
Outfitters in Minot does not have the 8" in stock and have not clue when they will get more in.
Sorry thought they would have free shipping. If your in the Bismarck area i know Landers Conoco has the 8 ''Kdrill for 229.00 plus tax.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cheapest I have seen is at Reeds. Create a VIP account, and Free shipping and no tax the 8" is at 238$.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
On black Friday-cyber Monday Acme tools had 20% off any one item on website. Could have had 8" for $200 + free shipping, i almost pulled the trigger but don't really need another auger. I saw them at the end of last season a few places for $200 as well.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.glensoutdoors.com in Grand Rapids, Mn has them for $229 if you are headed east for the holidays. That store is a must visit anytime we are headed to Duluth to visit the father in law.Thumbs Up

littlefish

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by CatDaddy

i bought a milwaukee drill right before the brushless ones came out, it works on ice up to about a foot but after that my drill gets hot and just quits

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just and update on the clam adapter plate. Love it! Can't imagine opening old holes without it ever again. That drill puts out some torque and when things catch, it's nice to have the plate to hold on to.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
After reading some of these threads and testimony from friends, I made the purchase of the Milwaukee/kdrill/clam plate combo. Only have used it once but man is it slick! Drilled 15 holes in 17 inches of ice and still had half a charge left. Just FYI Milwaukee has a promotion right now where you get a free battery with purchase of a drill. Good deal since batteries are over 100 bucks. I won't be missing gas fumes and heavy augers, haha.

4Buck

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Dewalt is brushless, right? Look at the torque specs between the two and if they're close you should be good.

Also, don't know why everyone is drooling over the k-drill. Go buy an Eskimo 8" hand auger for $49 and an Ion auger extension, hook them to a Clam plate and never look back. Been running this setup for the past 3 years. It cuts faster than the k-drill, but you can't reopen partially frozen holes with it.

Bringing this back up. Will the regular red Eskimo extension work or does it have to be the Ion?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone using the dewalt drills with their k-drill? If so, how does it work compared to the Milwaukee? I have a set of 20v dewalt already and don't like mixing brands if I don't have to. I would likely sell my current 20v drill to get one that could be used around the house and with the k-drill.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone using the dewalt drills with their k-drill? If so, how does it work compared to the Milwaukee? I have a set of 20v dewalt already and don't like mixing brands if I don't have to. I would likely sell my current 20v drill to get one that could be used around the house and with the k-drill.

My brother inlaw uses a Dewalt, works just fine. I think he has been using it the last year or 2

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I use the 20v Dewalt and have zero issues as well. Milwaukee probably has more torque, better batteries, etc. Personally i think the size of the battery is the biggest issue a guy will encounter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88