KXMC

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What the hell happen to our local new out of Minot, no need for news from Bismarck when you live in northwest ND, tried calling KXMC and got no answer

E-Tech

I have been wondering the same thing. Turned on the news and Tom was the only one I recognized.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went on their facebook page and it does not mention anything. But yes I think this past Monday was the first day they started to cover the news from Bismarck. Not sure what is going on but I don't like it. I don't give a crap about Bismarck news.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe a studio remodel or somthing? Is it different in the morning as well since all we used to get was the minot feed.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure it is more corporate cutting. Why finance two stations when you can get away with one and a half. Just look at what WDAY has done to WDAZ. They stripped it clean and now are not even on Directv. They can barely put together a news cast and what they do have is hard to watch. It is just the sad truth of the TV biz in North Dakota.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same issue with KMOT, the NBC network, morning out of Bismarck and the rest used to be from Minot. Now even the noon and evening are at least partly out of Bismarck. I would guess it's a cost-cutting scenario. Less news people to pay. Not good for the viewer as it does cut back on the amount of local news that each of us receives.

Reminds me of the first weekend of HS football a year ago. It was the first weekend so only 9-man teams were playing. There are several 9-man teams in the Minot area and one of the stations had a new sportscaster. (no longer there) The station sent out camera crews to 5 different games. Televised highlights from all 5 games and gave the score each time one of the teams scored. Never did give the final scores. In effect I watched highlights from 5 different games, never hearing the final score from any of them. When they went back to station TV I was waiting to hear or at least see a list of final scores from the other area games. None given. In essence I watched the sports to find out which teams won on that opening weekend and at the end I never heard or saw a single score. When they get a good one I wonder what it costs to keep them?

Newspaper seems to be getting even worse. Most of the news printed is from an AP writer from somewhere in the US and only a few local stories. Check this weekend, I'll bet in the Minot Daily News you'll have an easier time finding write-ups about games in the B10, SEC, or PAC12 than you will any other college game in ND other than MSU and NDSU. In case you haven't checked lately there are at least 8 other collegiate FB teams in the state.

Oh yeah, I forgot, it's all available online. And they wonder why subscriptions are down.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get rid of the TV and become a radio geek with a remote control: Will not stop one from getting pissed at Faux News; in fact I'm not sure of any true benefit except local sports.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait....Minot had it's own news station? I thought the only real news came from out East????? Shouldn't everyone get our news so you stay up-to-date on real happenings?

(I better clarify this is true sarcasm before I get the dreaded negative rep!)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
On another note: I was wanting to be a champion for "The Blaze" until Beck went dumbass against Trump.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait....Minot had it's own news station? I thought the only real news came from out East????? Shouldn't everyone get our news so you stay up-to-date on real happenings?

I don't know about that minots good for a shooting every five days or so so at least they keep it interesting!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
About half the news KX12 reports anymore is all about something new that's being built in Williston or Watford City. And the other half used to be about looking at some damn tree in JohnR's backyard in Dickinson.;:;banghead

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Even in Casselton you're not safe. It's pretty well accepted that most of the news media in GF and Fargo don't realize that anyone lives west of I-29.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even in Casselton you're not safe. It's pretty well accepted that most of the news media in GF and Fargo don't realize that anyone lives west of I-29.

Touche - yes, I know French. I was taught in school (after French class) that the world was flat west of I-29 and one best be careful to not fall off the edge. Not true? Retired.....I'll take your word over my 5th grade teacher since I dropped out in quarter 1 of 6th grade. Again, sarcasm....I don't get out west often enough but always enjoy when I do! My wife was like "What! There are hills and beauty in ND?"

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

My favorite part about "news" in Fargo is when they report on a story and say, "the state legislature is considering legislation that would..." or "the governor is calling on..." and then I about shit my pants until I realize they're referring to MN, not ND. They really do think Fargo is in MN. Haven't watched local or national news on TV in quite awhile as I would rather push an ice pic into my eyeball.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Reiten family sold the KX Network and the new company is streamlining to make it most profitable (less labor). The new management somehow consolidated where newscasts are conducted. For example, the morning show has 2 Minot folks and one Bismarck gal (Amber Schatz). I think Amber moved from Bismarck to Minot to join the group because she recently married and her hubby works in NewTown. So, now the morning show is produced in Minot. The Noon, 6pm, and 10pm news might be cast out of Bismarck, with local weather & sports segments cut away back to Minot/Williston.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
KX went to shit when Tom and Jared left. I cant stand either of those new basterds. I hate to say it nut Henry is the most coherent weatherman in the area now! Shit KX cant even update there news App anymore.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Reiten family sold the KX Network and the new company is streamlining to make it most profitable (less labor). The new management somehow consolidated where newscasts are conducted. For example, the morning show has 2 Minot folks and one Bismarck gal (Amber Schatz). I think Amber moved from Bismarck to Minot to join the group because she recently married and her hubby works in NewTown. So, now the morning show is produced in Minot. The Noon, 6pm, and 10pm news might be cast out of Bismarck, with local weather & sports segments cut away back to Minot/Williston.

I can understand the Reiten family selling the business. If the profit is there and there is no one in the family interesting in taking over that happens all the time. I suspect the selling price was substantial, (I think I remember reading about the agreement) and everybody has their share. What really hurts is the whole community. There are fewer and fewer good businessmen(women) who not only want to make a good living but also are concerned about the community as a whole. You don't read about current business owners doing as much for the entire community as in the past.

Why is that? When the whole community is successful, so is every business that works to support that community. Have no idea whether that was ever taught is any business class but it should be in 101. Chet Reiten was such a man.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I'm not a fan of the new setup either. So did they get rid of too tall in Bis? From what I see they just have Tom Schrader doing the evening weather now..?

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the Reitens, Olson's and Schrader put together in Minot blew every other news station out of the water. From production quality, to reporting to the weather modeling and graphic offering in general. It was better than most big metropolitan broadcasts I watch when traveling. Were they perfect? No. But it was good.

Now, it's just disconnected and disenfranchised or something. I need to make a phone call and voice displeasure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33