Last year's deer tag break down

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the stats nice...but..my name is already in the bucket....now for the nasty 3 month wait for finding out if I draw...lol

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think getting a resident tag in two different states has ever been legal.
One little loophole that can be used is buying a lifetime license (if offered in your state) before becoming a resident of another state. I did this for MN deer archery so in a way I get to hunt both states for resident pricing

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
One little loophole that can be used is buying a lifetime license (if offered in your state) before becoming a resident of another state. I did this for MN deer archery so in a way I get to hunt both states for resident pricing

Ditto

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I was guiding I too could have applied for the outfitter tegs. The key word here is applied because even during the good deer years getting tags in units like 2K2 was not easy. The nonres get a crack at 1% of the tegs and outfitters get a % of that. If there are multiple outfitters applying getting a tag was far from a sure thing. The way its set up is way more then enough to make it impossible to truly run a deer guiding service based on anything other then bow hunting. Deffently would not want to see outfitters get more unless it came as a trade off with having to allow people on their land and that would be very hard to monitor so one half of one percent or what ever it is works for me.

The whole 2E thing is just a cluster F and don't like seeing 0% draw in any unit and I don't think baring a closed season that should be allowed. Hell nonres are guaranteed 1% so I don't think 10% would be asking too much for the residents! Will this ruffle some landowners feathers sure but ohwell.

- - - Updated - - -

One little thing is I wouldn't post that on a website because it may be a way of getting the tags but it may very well not make it legal as the law goes. They can most likely nail you on the fact that you agreed to the fact you make no claim to residency in another state when you applied for your ND licence.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe it is legal Dean. The lifetime license for MN is valid even after changing residency to another state. The only state I claim residency in is ND

EnglishCocker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you guys find the tags available for each unit for this year? I can't seem to find it on the GF website.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you guys find the tags available for each unit for this year? I can't seem to find it on the GF website.
http://gf.nd.gov/licenses/license-availability/deer

- - - Updated - - -

I believe it is legal Dean. The lifetime license for MN is valid even after changing residency to another state. The only state I claim residency in is ND
Could very well be true but know back in college my buddy always took his out of his wallet because he had trouble with it before and he was a full time multiple year ND resident at that point. The thing is by having a resident tag in any form from another state the game and fish definitely could play that card if they wanted too.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

97A.455 NONRESIDENT STUDENTS; FISHING, SMALL GAME, AND BIG GAME.
(a) A nonresident that is a full-time student at an educational institution in the state and resides in the state during the school year may obtain a resident license to take fish, small game, or big game, except moose, by providing proof of student status and residence as prescribed by the commissioner.
(b) A nonresident that is a full-time foreign exchange student at a high school in the state and resides with persons in the state may obtain a resident license to take big game, except moose, by providing proof of foreign exchange student status as prescribed by the commissioner.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=97a.455

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol it's law to give out 1% to non-residents . . . oh the pain of us 1%ers!

You think that's bad. I applied in 2F2 last year as a non-resident, there were 8 buck tags - 4 went to landowners and 4 went to outfitters, none remaining for regular applicants, probably been that way for years, which is why they likely don't publish those stats.
that has to be fixed then. initiated measure time I guess

- - - Updated - - -

Really you dont hunt out of state for anything???

Its a state law for one thing. I live in N.D. for 51 yrs and moved out of state. My children still live in the state and I hunt with them. Yes I would like to get a tag. But im not going to piss and moan if I dont get one.
nope I don't

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

there shouldn't be a single outfitter tag being given out in any unit if there is a resident denied in that unit. what the hell is wrong with this picture. this shit needs to be changed. it's beginning to become very clear how corrupt this whole deal is.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was one of MN's big selling points for lifetime licenses, you could buy the resident version while you live there and they would still be good if you ever moved out of state.

The G&F could play that card, but I'm afraid it wouldn't hold up in court very well.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
that has to be fixed then. initiated measure time I guess

- - - Updated - - -

nope I don't

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

there shouldn't be a single outfitter tag being given out in any unit if there is a resident denied in that unit. what the hell is wrong with this picture. this shit needs to be changed. it's beginning to become very clear how corrupt this whole deal is.

Well good thing other states don't follow that line of thinking because suddenly there would be no chance to ever get a sheep tag or a tag for any good area for elk or just about anything else for us. One percent is crazy low compared to pretty much everywhere else. I know we aren't everywhere else but it's not an unreasonable number in the slightest in my opinion.

Last edited:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes Outfitters get tags. When I guided in N.D. I had a outfitters lic and I could get as many as 4 tags a yr.

Thats BS. Why is their private business deserving of a gift from the State of ND? All the while leasing everything out and locking the gates...

I suppose its not much different than the state of WY requiring non residents to hire a guide to hunt federally owned wilderness. Stack the deck.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well good thing other states don't follow that line of thinking because suddenly there would be no chance to ever get a sheep tag or a tag for any good area for elk or just about anything else for us. One percent is crazy low compared to pretty much everywhere else. I know we aren't everywhere else but it's not an unreasonable number in the slightest in my opinion.
I think any state that would endure the serious shortage of any big game we have would eliminate non residents right off the bat.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
But they don'the and I'm glad for it. Allot of it comes down to the fact that most DNR departments being funded by tag sales and one nonres tag brings in the same as ten res. Not saying it's right but they need to be funded someway. We are one of if not they most restrictive states when it comes to letting in nonresident hunters so I'm not going to bitch to much. We would run the risk of other states banning north dakota hunters if we banned them and I know you don't leave the state but many of us do so 1% is a very small price to pay. Hell a guy has still been able to get a buck tag in this state pretty much every year if they wanted but they might have leave their home unit.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
But they don'the and I'm glad for it. Allot of it comes down to the DNA being funded by tag sales and one nonres tag brings in the same as ten res. Not saying it's right but they need to be funded someway. We are one of if not they most restrictive states when it comes to letting in nonresident hunters so I'm not going to bitch to much. We would run the risk of other states banning north dakota hunters if we banned them and I know you don't leave the state but many of us do so 1% is a very small price to pay. Hell a guy has still been able to get a buck tag in this state pretty much every year if they wanted but they might have leave their home unit.
no other state has had these issues. and no state is going to bitch if we stop non-resident hunting while we try to recoup the herd. they would understand. if they don't, then we certainly don't want them hunting in our state anyway. because they would have proven they have no respect for out animals or residents here.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
no other state has had these issues. and no state is going to bitch if we stop non-resident hunting while we try to recoup the herd. they would understand. if they don't, then we certainly don't want them hunting in our state anyway. because they would have proven they have no respect for out animals or residents here.

If they wanted to seriously recoup the herd, they'd stop all hunting. Plus the fact that banning nonresidents and giving those tags back to residents would have no affect on the herd as there's still a hunter filling that tag.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
For someone who doesn't hunt out of state you sure know allot about them. For instance the massive EHD die offs in MT and IA a couple years ago that killed off huge areas. Herd numbers especially in western states get smashed just like ours it's not just a ND thing.

Other states would understand! That's laughable at best. So when we capped nonres duck hunters at 30,000 and MN sued us that was understanding?

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's a good map to show where to start. Some of the drops were awile ago some more now. If you want to see big drops check out the wolf Ipacked elk heards especially ID.

Harvest as Percent of Peak.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 181
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59