Making a buck knife

gripnrip

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking to make my son his 1st buck knife. What is the best steel to use that doesn't have to be forged That can just be shaped and sharpened. Also what thickness. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve tinkered with that some.
9220FD0B-DB3B-4999-BDCB-C376AB3EE2BF.jpg

I just used old table saw blades. Drew out the design I wanted and then used a dreamer to cut it. Used the same dremel to give the heavy lifting on the beveling down the edge and a file and wet stone for the rest. For safety’s sake, you’re going to want a better finger guard than I did.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, it’s sharp.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made them out of old files and sharpen up real nice. I made some yrs ago out of #4 long spring traps. There really cool looking and sharpen up ok.

lindy1420

If I was you i would use 1084 or 1095 hi carbon steel. Shape, grind, everything but don't take the edge down to its final sharpness just yet. Heat knife with a rose bud until a magnet doesn't stick then quench in vegetable oil. Wipe the blade clean then into the oven at 400 degrees for 2 hrs, let cool then 400 degrees for 2 more hours. Now you have a heat treated and tempered blade. Finish as you wish and the edge will hold its sharpness. Any questions just pm me i make knives for a hobby and will help you if you need.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to use old leaf and coil springs from cars, trucks and other stuff.

gripnrip

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which steel is better and how thick of AP should I start with. Is there anywhere localTo the Bismarck area where you can buy it or do you have to order online.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch the quench, man. It can be tricky. Kidding, just watched too much forged in fire.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to use old leaf and coil springs from cars, trucks and other stuff.

Old School primitives :;:thumbsup Those were the days. I made a whale skinner out of a pitchfork tine when I was a kid . No whales here but it sure worked good on cockelburs .

lindy1420

you will pay out of the nose if you buy it in bismarck way cheaper online i would start with 18"x1.5"x3/32

- - - Updated - - -

Which steel is better and how thick of AP should I start with. Is there anywhere localTo the Bismarck area where you can buy it or do you have to order online.

They will have to order it for you in bismarck cheaper to buy online 18*1.5*3/32

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought about using some of the flat disks off a John Deere no till drill to try to make some knives. Father in law is replacing a lot of his and could get them for nothing and I have a cnc plasma cutter to make short work out of the cutting part but just am not sure how the steel would be for a blade.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33