marine batteries

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wally world 29maxx here --- I have used sams, sears and fleet farms in the past -- they all performed similar What I noticed this purchase is the dates at sams were old old old ---

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a starting battery in the boat do you have to use a so called marine starting battery? I am looking for a group 27 starting battery and I can't find any other brand than the interstate.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sold my boat 3 years ago with AC Delco batteries that were 5 or 6 years old with no signs of letting up. The most positive hint to making them last that long is a little LUCK and hook the charger up IMMEDIATELY after you back your boat into the garage. EVEN before you cut up the fillets. ASAP, ALWAYS, FOREVER, is my motto to keep them for an extra year or two. No matter what brand.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just plugged mine in from sitting in an unheated shop all winter. 10 seconds later the charger showed green. UNREAL.

- - - Updated - - -

Bought them in 2011 on sale for $120 I think. You do not have to plug gels in immediately after discharge BTW.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine show green every spring too within seconds--- then you use them -- if light ok -- if real heavy they don't hold like a normal green charge.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My old wet cells suffered from some sort of parasitic discharge if I left them in place in the boat over winter.

tommygun23

Established Member
Is a marine cranking battery acceptable to run a trolling motor? Bought a boat with an Interstate cranking battery 24 series for the 55lb trolling motor. Will this battery get the job done or not? Seemed to die fairly quickly within a couple hours.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My old wet cells suffered from some sort of parasitic discharge if I left them in place in the boat over winter.

Wet cells will discharge at a much faster rate than an AGM or Gel when stored.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy %&*, those batteries are 97.6 lbs each!!!!???

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member

hey guy, you're a science "guy"... can you splain to a simple mind what changes take place between lead plates and water/acid/gel that make a battery go bad??? i mean it's not that complicated a piece is it??? maybe it is...

i wonder if these batteries they give us $5 for get a new plastic shell ($10), and sold back to us for $200 again...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha ha. Sorry, I have looked that up and read it a dozen times and it never soaks in.

- - - Updated - - -

Wet cells will discharge at a much faster rate than an AGM or Gel when stored.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy %&*, those batteries are 97.6 lbs each!!!!???

I had some stress cracks from my old set and completely rebuilt the battery racks before intalling those 31s.
They did seem heavy dropping them in. Glad I rebuilt the racks twice as strong.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Twas more than I bargained for like most things I get myself into.image.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I absolutely hate batteries, and the sonsabitches who convince me theirs are better than the next guys.
All I want is to spend my 100 bucks a battery and have no worries for the next 5 years, WTF is wrong with that, doesn't seem a guy should not be entitled to that simple ease of purchase.

Why would they even, ever go bad? Seems a battery should be rechargeable for a million years, why wouldn't it, other than the lack of selling more

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess we have a battery dude on NDA, just confess, it's a GD scam isn't it?
No way to sell more batteries if you make them work right, right?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It doesn't seem to matter what the hell I use. I get 4-5 years out of WalMart batteries, and 4-5 years out of Interstate batteries.

What I need to do is start putting in "new vehicle" batteries. Seems like every new vehicle I've ever had gets 6-7 years out of its first battery and then after that I replace them about every 4 years. WTH?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
hey guy, you're a science "guy"... can you splain to a simple mind what changes take place between lead plates and water/acid/gel that make a battery go bad??? i mean it's not that complicated a piece is it??? maybe it is...

i wonder if these batteries they give us $5 for get a new plastic shell ($10), and sold back to us for $200 again...

If I remember correctly, the lead plates get coated in PbSO4 (lead sulfate) which 1. lowers the acidity of the battery acid, and 2. is not the elemental lead required for the battery to operate. Lead sulfate is very insoluble so once the battery plates get coated in it there's no cure other than disassembling the battery and resmelting the lead. What I don't remember is what leads to the formation of the lead sulfate, or speeds the process although I'd guess having it low on charge is a part of the equation.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I look around and see who offers the best or longest pro rated warranty and buy using that rather than brand.

Another thing to remember when buying marine batteries or deep cycle is a misnomer that they have more reserve or can crank longer than a normal battery which is false. Deep cycle batteries have heavier or thicker plates which allows them to be discharged further and then recharged at a faster rate than what normal batteries can handle. If one discharged a normal automotive battery as often and as far as a deep cycle batt then try and recharge it fast the plates will warp and this causes contact with other plates and short out cells.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with gel because they are, by their nature, quite resistant to mechanical failure (plates touching or coming loose and going to crap).

That and the ability to say "meh" about getting the charger on them after fishing - even though by now in my life I do it ASAP by habit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 181
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57