Marine electronics

NodakBob

Honored Member
Hummingbird hds9 side scan…didn’t want a touch screen because my pontoon fishes the Missouri almost exclusively…I thought I would scratch the shit out of a touchscreen with all the sand in the boat. Going from 5” to 9” screen was a paradigm shift! And I couldn’t afford anything bigger…

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^Biggest screen you can afford, regardless of brand. I've switched from Lowrance to Garmin, but mainly due to Livescope. I'd say live mapping isn't as good as Hummingbird, side scan seems good, Livescope is awesome. Switched from 7" to 9" and it's a world of difference, especially for side scan.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lowrance because that's what I was sponsored with when I fished tournaments many moons ago and I am used to how they work. Yes, bigger the better run two on dash two up front with trolling motor all networked together and one up front is active target. Seems like alot like birds they are very nice.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lowrance & bird side by side. Bird for the maps and I take one bird off each winter for ice fishing.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garmin because we bought livescope for ice fishing and figure I my as well run the unit on my boat as well.

Btmbncr

I run 2 Garmins. A 7 inch out the back and a 9 inch Livescope off the side. This is on a tiller boat. They both work great and each show and mark the same signal. Very easy to operate also!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
garmin bird at the wheel 9 inchers-- 7 bird at the bow. i want to upgrade the bow bird now that i do more bass fishing Black friday coming soon

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bird for the whole boat network. Current boat has 2 helix 10s on the dash and 1 up front, all networked with Mega SI, DI, Chirp and Mega Live, and connected to the BT I-Pilot Link Ulterra. Going to Solix 12's on next years boat, going to be a bit of a shift moving to the touch screens and some different menus.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Garmin, Lowrance, Bird all have something they do better than the others but having a fully networked systems that talks between units is really nice. Bird probably has the weakest live-imaging but great mapping and SI. Lowrance has fantastic 2D sonar and Garmin is still king of the live sonar with their livescope. Cann't go wrong with any of them.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Garmin. Their setup seems to be much more user friendly than bird.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I run 2 Garmins. A 7 inch out the back and a 9 inch Livescope off the side. This is on a tiller boat. They both work great and each show and mark the same signal. Very easy to operate also!
I pretty much mimic your set-up in my tiller. I run a 7" for 2D/DI when trolling. Used to split it with the map but once I starting bring my 9" ice bundle in the boat for livescope I started using the 9" screen for my map.

Each screen is portable and runs off a lithium ice fishing battery. I'll use my 7" while mounted on the quad this winter for mapping and then transfer it to an ice set-up to use as a flasher for run and gun. Of course the livescope will be used in the winter for those slower sitting days. I did run and gun with my livescope in Canada last January and it wasn't as big of a pain as I thought it would be.

I'll probably look at getting another 9" echomap at some point to replace the 7"

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garmin for me. I’ve fished with all three quite a bit and garmin is just way better from my experience.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Humminbird for me. LakeMaster has the best mapping of Sak and plays nice with the birds. I've been pleased with all aspects of the helix units. As others have said they are lacking in the forward facing sonar department.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
could a fella hook the graph up to a 32 inch smart TV, I think this is the ticket.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
2- 12 inch Lowrance lives
2- Garmin 12s
1- Garmin 16

Got rid of all of my Humminbird stuff.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157