Moles

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Hey all,looking for advice on how to take care of a mole problem that is starting to happen on my property. Anyone have any experience with trapping/poisons, etc..? Have two dogs that have to be careful with on what I use and not sure what the best plan of attack is or really wear to start. When mowing the property last week I noticed 3 or 4 dirt mounds in the yard. I do have pocket gophers also as a problem, but have been shooting them as often as I see them (got 12+ already).They have hit my neighbors really hard and are spreading towards mine. Hoping to nip this in the butt before it gets to out of hand. Going to have a chat with my neighbor also to see what his plans are or if he just going to let them take over his place. lolTIA,ktm450

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
C5539D6B-2143-4E84-9A2F-512888D76074.jpg
Type "moles" right into that search bar and you'll have enough reading to keep ya busy for a good couple hours on past topics.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the Black Hills type voles. Leaves a mound like a mole . They love wet conditions .

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a couple a few years ago. Bought a trap from Runnings, cost maybe less than $20. Caught all 3 of mine within minutes of setting them. Using a stick you find the main hole and dig it out. Set trap and cover edges with dirt. Come back every 15 minutes or whatever and done deal. If you live in Bismarck, I would have no problem with you using it. Safe with kids and other above ground animals. PM me.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pocket gophers are way worse. Took me a couple years to get rid of them. Thought it was moles but that didn’t work but once I got the right bait they started dying off. Last one I flooded the tunnel and shot when he popped his head out. Probably one moving in now since I mentioned it.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ktm, what you are calling a mole is actually a pocket gopher. The ones you are shooting are either striped gophers or richardsons ground squirrels. Pocket gophers are the ones that leave the big dirt mounds and are rarely seen above ground. They are easy to trap.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vole
vole.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pocket gopher :
img-3608-2_orig.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Richardson squirrels ;
Richardson's-Szmurlo.jpg

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got rid of mine in Texas many years ago by hooking a used radiator hose to the exhaust pipe on my mower and poking it into the gopher hole. Tamp dirt around the hose and let the mower run for an hour or so ... all gophers/moles go to sleep permanently. No poison to be concerned about.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I still can’t get over how evil a pocket gopher looks. Such pointy teeth and hooves

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got rid of mine in Texas many years ago by hooking a used radiator hose to the exhaust pipe on my mower and poking it into the gopher hole. Tamp dirt around the hose and let the mower run for an hour or so ... all gophers/moles go to sleep permanently. No poison to be concerned about.

Yup and add a few drops of oil to the gives them extra smoke.......

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
eons ago we had big problems with moles. We tried trapping them but they just kept plugging the trap with dirt. We had a catahoola dog at the time. She caught on what we were trying to do. Next day I found a dozen dead ones laying in the yard. They dig at night and the Catahoola would go find where they were digging and just dig in there and kill em. It was crazy.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if it's moles, voles, deer mice, meadow jumping mouse, or squirrels, but I am getting really fricking tired of varmints eating the damn wiring of my stuff. Couple years ago the damn UTV had some wires chewed off, and now my trap thrower has had the power cord stripped off its insulation.

WTF?!?!?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if it's moles, voles, deer mice, meadow jumping mouse, or squirrels, but I am getting really fricking tired of varmints eating the damn wiring of my stuff. Couple years ago the damn UTV had some wires chewed off, and now my trap thrower has had the power cord stripped off its insulation.

WTF?!?!?

Maybe get some old junk wires to lay around so they have something easier to access to chew on, like a diversion!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
well I use last winters auger fuel,use a steel prod poke holes about every 3' along the tunnel cpouple drops of fiel in each hole drop a farmers match at each end of hole and "Poof" up in smoke diesel fuel works good as well smokes more and doesn't explode....:D

- - - Updated - - -

eye what about stuffing dryer sheet around engine compartment? ,bait stations placed around your barn will help as well worked for me.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rabbits love rubber or plastic coated wire and pocket gophers love buryed electric cabe or phone wires. evan 4 ft deep as I found out this spring to the tune of a THOUSAND just to splice the wires.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
grandson and nephew were out to our place on the weekend. I had shot about four gophers in my wives horse pasture a few weeks ago. told them there were a few more left. It's about seven acres this pasture. Well over the next four hours they shot 35. How in the hell is there that many in seven acres

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
eye been a long winter, gophs must be catholic to reproce that much over a few months.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 85
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31