• Minnkota

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Motorguide

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to upgrade my trolling motor to a bow mount 12 volt 55 lb thrust motor. I am stuck between the terrova with iPilot and the xi5 gps pinpoint. I am not looking to link the system with electronics so that is not a factor. What are the battery life differences between the two? Does anyone have an opinion on one over the other? Thanks guys!!

Brian J

Motorguide all day long. If your around minot id be glad to show you how well it works.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't tell you difference in battery consumption but if you see me running a minnkota again, I either have a gun pointed to my head or I'm in someone else's boat. Not only are they less expensive, I like motorguides customer service better.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately I am not in Minot. The Minnkota is actually less in this instance. The terrova with iPilot is like $1170, while the xi5 with GPS pinpoint is $1255. Unless the gps pinpoint is actually a step above the iPilot. I know that the standard xi5 without pinpoint can be used via remote (which is what I am looking for). However, it does not have spotlock and the other features that iPilot and pinpoint have. Is the pinpoint more comparable to iPilot link?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My league partners boat is having issues with the spot lock on his year old terrova 112 ipilot. Their explanation and fix is to twist the wires in the head because there might be interference happening. Since I put my Xi5 on, all I need to worry about is hitting the button in time. If the current is really fast, I've been blown off my mark before, but not often.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a last year model 80 lb Ulterra on my Lund. It held the boat amazingly well while fishing an eddy in 15+ mph winds last week. Very happy with it!

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new Minnkota with the blue tooth is fricken awesome. I fished out of a 20' 620 this weekend and the new spot lock blows mine out of the water. The new minnkota is every bit as good as the motorguide in reference to the spot lock/anchor feature. I have a 1 year old minnkota and the spot lock sucks. The foot pedal suits my style of fishing the best on the minnkota for the rest of the year so I deal with the spot lock for a month and a half.

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I have seen, the xi5 had better spotlock. But the 1 year old minnkota I guess is not the greatest representation, because they just redid their GPS algorithm for spotlock. However, battery is a huge concern for me. I cannot run an onboard to charge the battery with my big motor running. This is because I run an old 71 Johnson seahorse. So once the battery is done than I can't run it until I charge it on shore. I also like the led screen the remote has on the minnkota. I do not want to use the foot pedal.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
wireless foot pedal with the xi5 is kind of nice. Not that I run it in the back of the boat, but its one less bundle of wire to trip on. I don't charge my trolling batteries off of the main either. I can run all day in the river with my motorguide but that's more about the quality of your batteries unless you're running at 10 all the time.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Is it possible to update the software in the early gen minnkotas to fix the spot lock issue?

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think your mind is already made up, just checking for reassurance as to not have any buyers remorse?

I personally have a motorguide and love it, however I run lowrance with it so I'm biased. If you have no intention of linking your motors and the only thing your worried about is battery life, I'd just get the motor you want (looks to me like you're leaning toward the minnkota). I don't have much experience running a 12V motor so not sure on battery life, but I can't imagine the MG or MK would be much different. I will tell you, if you plan on running the spotlock for long periods of time, especially in wind, it'll drain your battery quite fast. If there is any way you could get a 24V system (no clue on cost difference and too lazy to look), that would be by far your best way to get more battery life if that's your main concern.

Make sure you buy a quality battery always leave the dock with a full charge

That's what I have seen, the xi5 had better spotlock. But the 1 year old minnkota I guess is not the greatest representation, because they just redid their GPS algorithm for spotlock. However, battery is a huge concern for me. I cannot run an onboard to charge the battery with my big motor running. This is because I run an old 71 Johnson seahorse. So once the battery is done than I can't run it until I charge it on shore. I also like the led screen the remote has on the minnkota. I do not want to use the foot pedal.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
can you jog Terrova now?

- - - Updated - - -

probably - since I just switched to MG from MK ;:;banghead

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little off topic but I picked up a Minn Kota Endura c2 50 lb thrust from Walmart last week for $49 which comes to $27 after $25 mail in rebate. Looks like the Walmart in Dickinson has the 30 lb thrust on clearance still for $25 with $10 mail in rebate. They also had the bow mounted [FONT=&quot]Minn Kota EDGE 45 on clearance for $89 with $25 mail in rebate but I'm not sure if that one is in stock. [/FONT]

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Is it possible to update the software in the early gen minnkotas to fix the spot lock issue?

No, its a whole new system. It utilizes different hardware in the head, uses Bluetooth for remote communication (and there is a control app for your phone that works surprisingly well too if the remote dies). It also now has a compass puck that you install on the back of the boat, and hook to power only, and it communicates via Bluetooth with the motor up front. I'm thinking I'm going to sell my ipilot link terrova and upgrade to the new one, it is that much better. I was really surprised. Hopefully I can sell mine before the prices of the older stuff completely tanks, these damn things are expensive.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member

I am hearing rumors that you may be able to upgrade your old style terrova next year. I hope so, but I would really like the anchor button on the foot pedal like the new ones.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the poll for what you HAVE or what you PREFER? I have never used a MG so don't know if I would like it better or not. I wish DM would tell us which he prefers instead of dancing around the subject.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Motorguide was chosen as the official electric motor of Skegosaurus[SUP]Ⓡ[/SUP] Steering Systems so....

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly, with how great the new ultrrra is, the price of the new Helix units, the new lakemaster cards with aerial overlay, chartplotting live, auto chart pro's ability to color code bottom density and Birds ability to change water levels for the reservoirs or rise and fall of DL....I don't know why anyone would want to run the new expensive ass lowrance units with motorguide. But it's just features and price I guess....not sure what else to judge them one but....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33