musty camper

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a pickup camper from my dad. He hardly used it and it's in great shape however he stored it in a pole barn with a dirt floor downhill from the rest of the yard so when it rained it ran through, and kept the floor moist. It has a musty smell very literally wet dirt. It's been airing out and is getting better don't want to use anything that just covers up or is strongly scented. The baking powder has met its match on this one.

Tips or tricks?

Also the clear waterlines were moldy, I flushed the tank and lines with bleach now the lines just look a little discolored. we probably wouldn't drink the water but any good advice on getting that back to tip top shape.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
vinegar and lemon juice through the lines will help.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
ground coffee in sock or stockings will make it smell better and pull moisture, old movers trick for fridges and freezers. I have a fridge in my garage that I need to put a defroster part in and have coffee in it and no mold or bad smell.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fill water tank half full and add a quart of bleach run through the lines and let sit for a few days. As far as musty smell during the flood people washed every thing with bleach and through bags of charcoal in the basements of the houses. Guess the it helped pull moisture and odor from the air

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also when you do get it where your happy use Bounce fabric softener sheets for storage. Keeps the mice out and your camper smelling great. I have been doing this for over 20 years with my boats. "0" mice and good smelling!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damprid it's available everywhere, it is like a giant silicate package and will pull a ton of moisture out, then just through it away

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go with Johnr's advice. We used that stuff when our basement took on water due to sump pump fail. Works great. Then follow up with the dryer sheets, not to strong and it keeps the mice out.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
An extension cord and a couple of dehumidifiers inside with all the interior doors open, windows closed, and linens removed wouldn't hurt either along with the previous suggestions for mitigation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40