Natives gill netting~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious what you folks in north dakota would think of gill netting/spearing walleyes on devils lake?

This practice here in Mn has put our #1 walleye lake in a tail spin,started in 1999,the 8 tribes that par take in harvesting walleyes during spawn put our lake into total collasps 5years ago,so much so our walleye season is catch and release only for non-native sportsmen/women.

We deal with this issue every year since 1999,to make things worse every spring we find these ghost netts full of dead rotting walleyes the natives lost to moving ice flow,and yeah they put the netts out before complete ice out,sad deal.

I know gill netting by the natives elsewhere in our country has many folks concerned around the country,mostly the western states.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/photo-of-dead-netted-walleye-on-mille-lacs-stirs-anger/559065811

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ Yup. I don’t believe they had monofilament gill nets and Lund boats with gas powered outboards. Bullsh#t! Also I’m just as native as they are are.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The elders are hungry though. They need a couple hundred thousand pounds of walleye.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
#guy who hasgoodidea's,bring this point up at one of our round table meetings with the natives and they pull the race card pronto,or call ya a hater with a shitty grin on their face knowing we can't do a thing about it.

Hopefully we'll get back in court to stop this non-sense.

Ultimate goal bye the natives is to get all the land back that the sioux sold the federal gov't in 1835 which covers several counties in central Mn,they made there intentions perfectly clear.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
#guy who hasgoodidea's,bring this point up at one of our round table meetings with the natives and they pull the race card pronto,or call ya a hater with a shitty grin on their face knowing we can't do a thing about it.

ha ha ha - I can see that in my mind's eye like it actually happened

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this is allowed they would destroy devils lake in a matter of years it already has a spawning issue and depends mostly on stocking this would be bad very bad

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Curious what you folks in north dakota would think of gill netting/spearing walleyes on devils lake?

This practice here in Mn has put our #1 walleye lake in a tail spin,started in 1999,the 8 tribes that par take in harvesting walleyes during spawn put our lake into total collasps 5years ago,so much so our walleye season is catch and release only for non-native sportsmen/women.

We deal with this issue every year since 1999,to make things worse every spring we find these ghost netts full of dead rotting walleyes the natives lost to moving ice flow,and yeah they put the netts out before complete ice out,sad deal.

I know gill netting by the natives elsewhere in our country has many folks concerned around the country,mostly the western states.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/photo-of-dead-netted-walleye-on-mille-lacs-stirs-anger/559065811

The nets are stupid, no argument there. Any group of people that get an advantage over others because of race is pure bullshit. The big pond also has a surplus of big fish that eat everything, so you can thank your local walleye club, and guides for implementing slots as well. Its not as simple as removing the nets. #biology

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind the spearing, would be fun to do here, and I can't image it would significantly harm the population. However the gillnetting is dumb.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
MN needs to quit stocking it and if they want to over fish the lake then they can pay to stock it. Let them mismanage it and go bankrupt after bad fishing seasons.

Founding Member
Founding Member
They were netting on Sak this spring..

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
They were netting on Sak this spring..
I don't think there is any legal netting of game fish in ND or am i wrong? I know there was a net snagged and pulled up last year by some fisherman though, with a bunch of walleye.

Founding Member
Founding Member
No it was last month, twin buttes area.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not just go out there and protest and disrupt what they are doing and vandalize their equipment? Oh wait I almost forgot, that doesn’t work with white people.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I remember right in the past and maybe even now Standing Rock has the right to net in the spring on the Missouri river. If anybody can find the news article or a story about it I would be curious to reread what it said.

You can't just tell them or force them on a state level to stop netting. It's a legal battle at the federal level over treaty rights that were signed by both sides back in the day. To try to remove one treaty right you'd probably have to remove all treaty rights and that most likely would cause a gorilla war around the US, and that probably wouldn't end well for either side.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a side note, i like to encourage anybody i know to never order walleye at a restaurant, or buy it at a supermarket. Without a market for the fish there is no need to net it. Just tell them that most of the Walleye on the US market (around 70% I believe) comes from Lake Winnipeg which is polluted as hell.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Up until last season mille lacs has never been stocked,all natural reproduction,talk by the gov said they are contemplating a fishery on mille lacs which would be like pissing into the wind for us tax payers just so the selected few can carry on the pilaging.3 yrs of catch and release has given the lake some dandy sized walleyes in the mid 20" range but few in #'s.

The lake had two years back to back of late ice out in 2013/2014 the results were a boom in these two year classes and we expect the same results for 2018 may ice out come fall when they(DNR ) does they're survey.

Doesn't take a bio degree to see what happened to mille lacs lake,this all started back in the mid 80's in wisc,fights at the boat landings,rock throwing,locals dragging boat anchors to muddy the waters,bad scene for all.

Today all across central wisc most of which is native ceded territory walleye fishing is null with 1 or 2 walleye daily limit depending on the lake and a tight slot,so yeah folks are migrating to the western states for they're walleye fix.

Oh,and canada (ontario) has they're share of netting frustration as well,two walleyes daily/possession 17 to 26" protected slots.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I really hate to hear this news. I was very hopeful that our fishing wouldn't be affected and left alone. Our hunting has been screwed with at every turn. I have given up on most hunting and focused more on fishing, as it seemed to not be as affected by the bullshit! Damn, I suppose in time it will affect (and F##k UP) our fishing as well.

Fish On!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88