Need advise on how to shoot a rifle

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
22lr for practice and shoot 1 to 200 rounds a week. Practice off of bags, bipod, shooting sticks, and my favorite the truck window. After you have shot say 1000 rounds then introduce the 6mm. Build the confidence and then work on the rest. Shoot at 20 yards to start, then 50, and then move to 100. The close range stuff doesn't amplify the flinch like 100 yds will, but it will build confidence. Started my kid like this, now he shoots 300yds with confidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Also invest in a 22 rifle will be the best practice gun you will ever own. For a bolt a marlin model 25 is great, and can't beat a Kruger 10/22 on the auto side. You want to spend a little more cz452 is a can good rifle.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
22lr for practice and shoot 1 to 200 rounds a week. Practice off of bags, bipod, shooting sticks, and my favorite the truck window. After you have shot say 1000 rounds then introduce the 6mm. Build the confidence and then work on the rest. Shoot at 20 yards to start, then 50, and then move to 100. The close range stuff doesn't amplify the flinch like 100 yds will, but it will build confidence. Started my kid like this, now he shoots 300yds with confidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Also invest in a 22 rifle will be the best practice gun you will ever own. For a bolt a marlin model 25 is great, and can't beat a Kruger 10/22 on the auto side. You want to spend a little more cz452 is a can good rifle.

Well said. I'll pound the heck out of a 25 yard target until i am confident in what i am doing. Advance to 50 yards next when 25 has been perfected just as stated by all4eyes. Then go out to 100 yards and 200 if necessary. It is natural to get wider groups the farther out you shoot. Get those small groups in close and let him build up confidence. Then advance. replicate good habits. over and over round by round.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many forms of flinching if you say he's shakey thats a form of flinch,its easy for your brain to over work knowing that with a pull of the trigger something bad will happen,he's anticipating felt recoil,good advice here,one more thought is breathing while on the rifle,very important.

Agreed about the .22,shoot the shit out of it starting now.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
gonna go out tonight to the range. I'm going to see if I can borrow my nephews .22. If I can, I'll take some video and see if you guys can see things he might be doing wrong.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly2Cast, I apologize for my snarky comments earlier. You have gotten a lot of good advice here. All the best for a successful Moose hunt for your son.

Thanks man. No problem.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, just clicked on this to see if SDMF started it. K, bye!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55