Observations

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what ever reason, I have noticed a couple things for what ever kind of bother me. I can't see myself ever buying a 40K boat or camper, but its early in my life and can see why someone people might want to.

Today driving through Sioux falls I passed a guy hauling a camper. I have looked at a couple campers and to my best estimate this camper was roughly a 30K camper. He was pulling it with a pre-2002 Tahoe. I had to double take to make sure it wasn't my father-in-law. So here's my thing, if you own a pickup/suv that is <5K, why would you purchase a 30K camper? I have seen this happen with boats too. You see an 80 or 90s pickup hauling a brand spankin new boat that runs north of 40K...... I don't get it.

Another one that I laugh at is driving down through the trailer parks..... Not against anyone living in them, but then you see a brand new pickup that runs almost 40K. I damn well know that the trailer house is less than 15k..... WTH?

Ok, carry on.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know alot of guys on the road had a camper like that because they live in it. Some guys would rather have a nice boat than a nice pick up.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I dont worry about how others spend their money. I dont know their situation. Guy could be filthy rich and just likes his old tahoe. Big whoop

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of people keep an older vehicle for hunting, fishing, towing etc. I would almost argue its the smarter thing to do. Have a car that gets good gas mileage for all your daily driving.

I will admit i do get a bit of a chuckle when i see a vette parked next to a trailer house.

Last edited:

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Priorities, to each their own … if you have a vehicle that works why would you need a new one…if you want a camper and have a vehicle that can pull it why would you need a new vehicle too? I guess I am missing the point of this thread???

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I was low on cash but really wanted a camper and had to choose, nice vehicle or camper, i'd find a way to haul it with a piece of shit vehicle too. Same thing with a boat because I love to fish. When I was 24 and in a lot of debt my wife and I lived in a trailer for a year to save money and worked our way into nicer homes. I don't see what the deal is here. Seems very judgemental. I own a nice pickup, but drive a 1991 Pontiac Bonneville with 200k miles to work every day. I don't care what others think of me, and I don't really care what you think of others.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 2 trucks 3/4 ton for pulling camper and heavy half for boat. One is soon to be 13 years old and the other 12 years old. Both have about 80 thousand miles on them. Both have what I wanted when I bought them and still like them. At about 4 or 5 thousand miles a year each they will last me until they put me in the old folks home. Both paid for a long long time ago, more money for bait.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone has their priorities and spends there money how they want. Why does it bother you how someone else spends their money?

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 2003 Hyundai sonata as my work car..... been pulled over in Minot 3 times in 2 months for the car fitting the profile of Minot 's largest drug dealer, pulled over for stupid reasons like not using blinker or lic plate light out.... if you seen the car you'd prolly think the same thing lol, I have a nice pickup that is used for wife and kids and pulling my boat that costs more than my truck....i think when it comes down to it people put there money where they see most fit and what is most important to them. So moral of the story is don't judge a book by its cover

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what ever reason, I have noticed a couple things for what ever kind of bother me. I can't see myself ever buying a 40K boat or camper, but its early in my life and can see why someone people might want to.

Today driving through Sioux falls I passed a guy hauling a camper. I have looked at a couple campers and to my best estimate this camper was roughly a 30K camper. He was pulling it with a pre-2002 Tahoe. I had to double take to make sure it wasn't my father-in-law. So here's my thing, if you own a pickup/suv that is <5K, why would you purchase a 30K camper? I have seen this happen with boats too. You see an 80 or 90s pickup hauling a brand spankin new boat that runs north of 40K...... I don't get it.

Another one that I laugh at is driving down through the trailer parks..... Not against anyone living in them, but then you see a brand new pickup that runs almost 40K. I damn well know that the trailer house is less than 15k..... WTH?

Ok, carry on.

I get it Yoby. You're not trying to change what others do, just making an observation. I wonder too sometimes, when someone seems to be broke by one standard, but has the best-that-money-can-buy by another standard.

But, I don't much care, as long as they're not asking for handouts.

Gets me is... a person who can't afford to pay for their kids' lunches at school, yet smoke $5 per pack cigs, covered in tattoos, and have their nails manicured regularly.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a camper that stays at a campground. There are a fair number of other folks in the campground that leave a "tow-vehicle" at the campground hooked to the boat all summer and typically it's FAR from new. The campground is on a lake and has it's own access. When launching from the campground, the furthest one could pull a boat is still well under 1/2Mi. Some of those folks will make the <10Mi run into town to fill the boat with gas and that's likely their longest trip in the tow vehicle all year.

OP, It could easily be that someone is in the same situation I described above either stores their camper indoors, or brought it home to work on it, or perhaps sell/trade for a new one. If you're going to tow your camper once in the spring and once to get it home in the fall, it could be 40' and $150K but still not require much of a tow rig to get it back and forth. Same for the spendy boat. Your profile says E SD, imagine living in Mobridge and fishing Oahe exclusively. A person wouldn't need much of a tow rig to get to/form the water. Same in you lived in Watertown and fished Kampeska or if you lived in Summit and fished Waubay. Needs are a lot different in that situation than they'd be if you lived in Sioux Falls and fished out of Chamberlain and pulled back and forth every weekend.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always thought it would be fun to pull a 86k boat with a $1500 pickup for much of the summer..... I have, it was fun, and I got a ton of great looks (many of the judgemental type).

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always thought it would be fun to pull a 86k boat with a $1500 pickup for much of the summer..... I have, it was fun, and I got a ton of great looks (many of the judgemental type).
Go down to Arkansas. You'll see a hundred examples of this a day;:;rofl

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister had a boyfriend back years ago that had a 5K stereo system complete with a giant subwoofer, extra power converters, and digital dashboard readout in a $250 hatchback. Mr. Way Wrong also put a sunroof in his mobile music box. To each their own.................

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I don't think much about an older vehicle / newer toy or vice versa. I do wonder if they have funded their retirement and kids college fund. By the time I put money in each, I had to buy second hand bait.

Had a drunken discussion with a co-workers wife years ago. She argued that saving for retirement is not a good idea because what if you die before you get to spend it. I wonder if 3 kids later she has the same plan. Also listened to a couple co-workers discuss how another guy had bunch of money for retirement, and they could not see why the man did that. It became obvious to me that they equated retirement to death, problem is what if you don't die. I don't want to be a burden to my kids. My wife is seeing that first hand. Her parents are heavily into end of life doctoring and don't appear to have enough money to enjoy their golden years. Hope they don't end up eating cat food.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worm, maybe they could move in with you. That would give them extra coin to eat better.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't trying to be judgmental or offend anyone, but I guess by some of the responses I have... Oh well. Point out your observation and as you can tell you will get perspectives you may not have thought of.

Worm,
I have some friends and family that go on vacation at least once a year. Listening to their conversations about paying the minimum on their credit cards each month and saying it was worth it has boggled me. I have a family member that I damn well know isn't putting any money into their retirement or savings for their 3 kids, but again going on 2 or 3 vacations a year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84