Planer Boards

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I'm fishing for walleye, most the time I'm either using bottom bouncers or jigging. When watching fishing shows I sometimes see them using planer boards. In some situations like spring fishing when fish are up pretty shallow I could see where the boat could possibly spook fish when it goes over where having lines off to the side might be an advantage. Any way I have no experience with them, have never even fished with someone who used them. Am I missing out by not having them or is it better time and money spent learning how to do what I am already doing a little better?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planer boards =way of getting out more lines out back of boat when trolling cranks

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planer boards =way of getting out more lines out back of boat when trolling cranks

This fall I started using dipsey divers and snap weights for salmom. I could run 2 lines wide to the sides with dipseys and 3 across the back with weights. I'm hoping g to try a similar set up this spring on the river.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I would think in that situation you might be better off casting into the shallows. Pulling spinners/lindy's under planer boards that shallow is going to be tricky to do imo. Snags!

I mostly use my planer boards for cranks.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great thread. I'm in same situation. Never ran boards. Wonder if it's worth the time and money. So they aren't ideal for bottom bouncing spinners?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minneukin (I can't spell) bombers and planer boards. The 90s u had to luv em

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use them pulling cranks, spoons and spinners using snap weights or inline weights rather than bottom bouncers. Trolling cranks here is a bit different than how I learned on Erie, mainly depth change here on Sak. I still enjoy trolling planers- depth counters, precision trolling, etc.. are a must for me. I would rather pull cranks on boards than lindy rig anytime, haha. Like everything else, it has it time and place.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have much experience catching walleye on boards, but we used them a lot for salmon on Lake Michigan. The best time I ever had out there we were running boards because the fish were all shallow (12'-30'). The weather was just right, bringing the cold water in. With only 2 of us in the boat, and 3 lines per person we ran 4 boards & 2 riggers; pulling spoons & J-plugs. I swear we had 5-6 doubles and a couple triples that day, it was complete chaos. Something i'll remember forever.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boards are fantastic! I use them for both cranks and spinners. I love the looks I get from boats as they go by on the big lake when I'm out in 60' of water catching suspended walleye that they don't even know are there.

I think what you are trying to do with them would be tough, and as mentioned before it might be easier to cast into the shallows.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boards can help you spread out and cover more water. I find them more useful as h82bogey explains in his post above.

Shallow water boards are a little more tricky, but a short leader and minimal weight out the back of a board can be run well off to the side in shallow water as you keep your boat in deeper. At times I will run one boards in towards shore with a split shot for weight and a spinner rig. This will allow you to fish just above the weeds in shallow without spooking fish. It can be very frustrating with snags and fouled lures being common.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
some of the best fishing I had was running boards in 3' to 5' pulling shallow cranks with a wind blowing against the shore line. Board would go under the water on some of the nice fish.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
go get a couple off-shore planer boards, a set of snap weights. after all ya already spent the money on a boat. Then while experimenting with the snap weights during the summer, you can stop and think wtf did I buy this sh#t for. #don'tevenhaveafishinglicenseyet

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have thought about using them at Devils Lake, but some asshat would probably snag my line like they do when I'm shore fishing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33