Property Tax Credit

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I get it, this is something that goes way back to at least the 80s and was heavily pushed by the ag community. Given the current ag economy, one should probably revisit this concept.
In Dickinson the city tax is paid if the producer picks the equipment up in town, however it the equipment is delivered out of city limits the city tax does not apply.
Federal tax on new Ag equipment is at 3%, zero on used

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are just so many different ways to come up with this money that it’s simply limited to one’s imagination. But there’s a select group that refuses to hear this because currently they can raise you taxes so easy it’s ridiculous. And that’s exactly what they want

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buy an Icecastle and use it as a calving head quarters next to the corral or buy the grain dryer for night watch. LB

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind though the first sales tax i can remember was at 3%. The rate did not need to increase as inflation automatically takes care of the increase. The cities are running out of control adding these additional sales taxes. Its crazy.

I have changed my mind on property tax - give me a ballot i will vote to get rid of it. Why because they mishandled the credit so bad imo

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey now, you know full and well the vast majority of the "slush funds" as you call them are full of taxes on oil production. Following the ridiculous line of thought in this thread, unless you have paid oil production and extraction taxes, you shouldn't have a say in what happens to that money.
Given those slush fund moneys come from taxes paid by oil companies on their oil production, including their oil production on state and federally owned land, every resident of the state of ND has a right to provide their input on what should happen to that money... I'd almost be willing to bet that every single oil producer in the state of ND has an interest in pulling oil from state oil land in one form or another.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given those slush fund moneys come from taxes paid by oil companies on their oil production, including their oil production on state and federally owned land, every resident of the state of ND has a right to provide their input on what should happen to that money... I'd almost be willing to bet that every single oil producer in the state of ND has an interest in pulling oil from state oil land in one form or another.

A goodly share of that pot was paid for by North Dakota resident landowners who receive royalties. Remember, only two out of the 36 sections in a township are school sections.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the percentage of oil taxes paid by land owners and state or federally owned? My guess is the majority of it is state owned since most of those mineral rights were forfeited or sold off to keep the land in private hands at one time or another. I know a lot of landowners that have no mineral rights.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Federal Land Bank when they sold land, they had foreclosed on kept 50% of the mineral rights in the thirties. That includes 3 quarters they got of my great uncle when my dad bought it back from them in the forties. db

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
A goodly share of that pot was paid for by North Dakota resident landowners who receive royalties. Remember, only two out of the 36 sections in a township are school sections.
and some of the twp have sold.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the percentage of oil taxes paid by land owners and state or federally owned? My guess is the majority of it is state owned since most of those mineral rights were forfeited or sold off to keep the land in private hands at one time or another. I know a lot of landowners that have no mineral rights.
Most of the people that don’t have mineral rights was from land that was bought that the previous owner didn’t let the mineral rights go with. They are still privately own just probably in an estate that is split up so much that the dollar amount each gets is minimal.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the people that don’t have mineral rights was from land that was bought that the previous owner didn’t let the mineral rights go with. They are still privately own just probably in an estate that is split up so much that the dollar amount each gets is minimal.
There are thousands upon thousands of acres of mineral rights owned by the Farm Credit system, as in the late seventies when a farmer could not pay his note this was excepted as payment. There are thousands owned by other banks, and lending institutions, thousands that have been gifted to charity. A board upon which I sit has a pile of mineral rights from previous members donating them.

Lots of land is only surface rights, and it isn't necessarily the family dividing it all out.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have preached mineral rights; hunting rights need to stay with the land. Not sure how that could be corrected now. And gravel rights are not mineral rights. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 198
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57