Property Tax Credit

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
TWN:
The bills need to be paid somehow and i agree that i do not want to beg Bismarck for a project. I see all kinds of problems. The big cities have more pull than playground equipment in a small town.

But as a person who has appraised property, i agree, one person putting a value on property (with limited knowledge) has a lot of problems with equity.

Seen a lot, imho, with big time overvalue and under value. I have work with leadership in trying to get values in line with each other's. Always a work in process each year and now and then the state gets involve.

But see bigger problems with a group in Bismarck calling the shots which, in the end, the funds will not cover. Just will not work, period. Forget about getting monies for your playground.

One needs to get involve in the process, which is much easier in a small town, but to correct, this is where it needs to start. db

Learn how the process works first then find how to correct the process.

Last edited:

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
I've stayed out of this discussion as long as I can. You have all seen the " and these people vote" vines/videos/memes, and that's what I get from reading these replies. Hope to god you are a minority.
It seems most of you have no idea where your property taxes even come from. Paid mine last night, sent the check to the county not to the state. If you don't like where your money is being spent don't come here and bitch about it get on a board and fix it. People who get their news from facebook drive me nuts.
Consider the repercussions of this vote. The nice people of Grenora decide they need new playground equipment in their park. Park board, city council get together and get a budget and some bids. If it's enough money the project goes to a vote. Either passes or doesn't but the whole thing is decided by the residents of Grenora. Now- no property tax and no way for Grenora residents to raise money? The nice people in Grenora need to hire someone to go to Bismarck while the legislature is in session and lobby for their new playground equipment. They are standing in line with Bismarck for snow removal funds,, street repair funds, fix the swimming pool funds etc. X 1000. If, by some small chance the legislature even gets the time to look at Grenora's playground project, they are going to be obviously way down the list. Heaven forbid the legislature approves $ for Grenora it gets even better, now everyone in the state is on the hook for playground equipment in Grenora! It is really about local control, this bill will totally gut rural North Dakota.
Mckenzie county also had a flyer in the packet with the statement. 60 years old and not really technologically advanced and I could figure it out. TW
All the State has to do is replace exactly what Grenora got last year from their local property taxes, plus the taxes on any new buildings, and add the inflation rate to it next year and so on. No county or city or any recipient of property tax money would get a dime more than that. There would be no need to lobby the State for anything because every gov. agency would then have to live within their means. We need to hold the local governments accountable also. As it is now, the property tax increases for some properties in Burleigh county have jumped up 17%-29% in two consecutive years. There needs to be a cap on yearly increases on taxes and this inflation adjustment would be the answer to that. Rural ND would be treated exactly the same as the big cities.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the State has to do is replace exactly what Grenora got last year from their local property taxes, plus the taxes on any new buildings, and add the inflation rate to it next year and so on. No county or city or any recipient of property tax money would get a dime more than that. There would be no need to lobby the State for anything because every gov. agency would then have to live within their means. We need to hold the local governments accountable also. As it is now, the property tax increases for some properties in Burleigh county have jumped up 17%-29% in two consecutive years. There needs to be a cap on yearly increases on taxes and this inflation adjustment would be the answer to that. Rural ND would be treated exactly the same as the big cities.
This is exactly right. Nothing would change but the source of the funds. The people that try to use this as an excuse are the ones that love this excessive spending by politicians. “Local control” is a ruse and very few buy that bullshit anymore

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
So why does the state government get to tell the people of Grenora how much they can spend on their playground? If the problem is Burleigh county's assessor then maybe the people of Burleigh county should address that and not force the rest of us to beg for crumbs. Big picture seems a lot like you folks are voting for bigger government in your lives while professing the opposite.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grand Forks has been spending a million for their art program of rock status. We have no art program but want $20,000 for playground toys.

No way, because we have not been spending for it in the past. Grand Forks gets because they been spending.

I am not interest in the big cities getting and we nothing. I have no interest in sending what i consider my fair share to
Grand Forks for their new football stadium.
Sent some of that excess to all (which they have been doing). Then we will decide to buy playground equipment or a million-dollar walkway in the park. I have no interest in how you spend your funds and your pet projects. I have no interest in some one in some distance place telling me what i can do and not do.

Maybe in your big towns one has no say what leadership does but in our small town the whole town is involve.
No way will i give up local control, my trust in local control to people who i do not know and do not know me and our needs.

Get involve with your leader if you our upset with them and how they spend, do not take the easy way out. db

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. Get involved. Run for County commission. Or support someone who thinks like you. I have flipped on this issue in the last decade or so. The problem isn't property tax. It's the people spending said tax and their unwillingness to fix it to a point. Everyone of us can fix that by voting and getting involved LOCALLY in that process. Letting Bismarck fix it is like pissing into the wind

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have been working on a street project in our town for many years that has raisin to a cost of 25 million or $2,100 per parcel for the next 20 years. No way but maybe the state will send the monies by elimating property tax.
I wonder if we will get in front of paying for bring water out west to those in the east. Probably or not. Tell me your guess.
I will thank Bismarck in advance for the funds.

Thanks espringers db

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've stayed out of this discussion as long as I can. You have all seen the " and these people vote" vines/videos/memes, and that's what I get from reading these replies. Hope to god you are a minority.
It seems most of you have no idea where your property taxes even come from. Paid mine last night, sent the check to the county not to the state. If you don't like where your money is being spent don't come here and bitch about it get on a board and fix it. People who get their news from facebook drive me nuts.
Consider the repercussions of this vote. The nice people of Grenora decide they need new playground equipment in their park. Park board, city council get together and get a budget and some bids. If it's enough money the project goes to a vote. Either passes or doesn't but the whole thing is decided by the residents of Grenora. Now- no property tax and no way for Grenora residents to raise money? The nice people in Grenora need to hire someone to go to Bismarck while the legislature is in session and lobby for their new playground equipment. They are standing in line with Bismarck for snow removal funds,, street repair funds, fix the swimming pool funds etc. X 1000. If, by some small chance the legislature even gets the time to look at Grenora's playground project, they are going to be obviously way down the list. Heaven forbid the legislature approves $ for Grenora it gets even better, now everyone in the state is on the hook for playground equipment in Grenora! It is really about local control, this bill will totally gut rural North Dakota.
Mckenzie county also had a flyer in the packet with the statement. 60 years old and not really technologically advanced and I could figure it out. TW
Grenora can start a go fund me if they need a park so bad...same with all the cities..you want it bad enough spend your money and get other people to spend there money on it.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
A neighbor of ours moved here from California. He told me, his house was taxed at the rate he paid for it. It would be taxed at a new rate when it is sold. He said the value stays the same until it is sold again.
This is true, and I have brought this up as a solution in the past, got negative feedback tho..... I dont like property taxes but what is the alternative to recoup them if we get rid of them? Cut spending? I like that idea but cant imagine the bitching that will come with it

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, they will start it by working with the city council. a vote of the locals who know the need and property tax.
Not begging me to pay for it and hoping for the best. Same with all the other cities.
Again, i have no desire, understanding to be involve in all your needs.

I will take of myself and will let you take care of yourself. db

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
From the bit I follow things in my city the main folks running for local government are the ones who have something they want to fund. Be that a hockey rink, rec center, school, ect. No one wastes their time unless they have an agenda. Average guy who wants less taxes doesn't end up with much say.

Quick look at city budget claimed 15% of revenue was property taxes. I think they can manage to find that elsewhere or cut some pork

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I realize this copy is hard to read but, if you look at the unbelievable pork filled wasteful spending on this sheet you will be really pissed off at what our legislators hand out to special interests. This is why we need to start with eliminating ALL property taxes with this referendum and then replace corrupt legislators! Get out and sign this petition and then vote for eliminating ALL property taxes in ND.

1704489702476.png

This list is posted at Gateway Mall just outside of Rockn50s cafe. You can also sign the petition there between 2pm-6pm weekdays.

I haven't had to work with budgets for a few years now, but I don't recall EVER seeing such round numbers on so many budgets.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grenora can start a go fund me if they need a park so bad...same with all the cities..you want it bad enough spend your money and get other people to spend there money on it.

What...the...actual...F? That is literally the whole concept of a property tax? It's people on a local level setting the spending for the local needs and wants. So far as I know, not a single cent of my property taxes go to State level expenditures.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have been working on a street project in our town for many years that has raisin to a cost of 25 million or $2,100 per parcel for the next 20 years. No way but maybe the state will send the monies by elimating property tax.
I wonder if we will get in front of paying for bring water out west to those in the east. Probably or not. Tell me your guess.
I will thank Bismarck in advance for the funds

Isn't this the kind of stuff that gets funded by specials? From what I understand specials aren't included in the measure eliminating property taxes. Will the local gov'ts just fund more with specials (that we have to pay interest on)?

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is what may be coming in Fargo : https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/...t-would-demolish-some-facilities-build-others

While the school district doesn’t yet have a dollar amount or time frame set for a bond referendum, it has estimated costs for the options under consideration, all of them spread out over 15 years.

According to information provided by the district, Option A would address condition needs of all school buildings in the district at a cost of $500 million to $550 million.

Option B would address those condition needs and fix all educational inadequacies across schools at a cost of $625 million to $675 million.

Option C would address those issues through a complex plan resulting in a markedly different makeup of buildings and programs at a cost of between $600 million and $650 million.

Under Option C, five northside and central Fargo schools would be torn down, at least five elementary schools would undergo consolidations, five new schools would be built and at least six buildings would be renovated, in some cases for a completely different purpose.

That option would also require some boundary changes, Hand sai
d.

Will eliminating property taxes lead to even more spending? It will no longer be looked at as Fargo's money or Grenora's money but state money, so go ahead and spend.

I wonder how PO'd people would be if they had to write out a check for local sales taxes at the end of the year? For example: If you lived in Valley City you would probably have to write checks out to Valley City, Jamestown, Fargo, West Fargo and maybe Bismarck because you spent money in those places.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What...the...actual...F? That is literally the whole concept of a property tax? It's people on a local level setting the spending for the local needs and wants. So far as I know, not a single cent of my property taxes go to State level expenditures.
No the concept of property tax is taking my mo ey to fund your agenda. What I stated is if a person wants a park they use their money and get other people to volunteer their money..not just take it from people...BIG difference!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So why does the state government get to tell the people of Grenora how much they can spend on their playground? If the problem is Burleigh county's assessor then maybe the people of Burleigh county should address that and not force the rest of us to beg for crumbs. Big picture seems a lot like you folks are voting for bigger government in your lives while professing the opposite.
Back before they taxed the shit out of everyone things like parks were built through donations etc. that’s how they stayed modest in cost. Now they steal from the tax payer and build shit that costs ten times more

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can freely donate any amount of your personal money for the park you want in grenora
how about state of North Dakota $14.44, garrison diversion $14.44, which is shown on my tax statement. then there is soil conservation district $ 7.94, water resource district 21.24.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is what may be coming in Fargo : https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/...t-would-demolish-some-facilities-build-others

While the school district doesn’t yet have a dollar amount or time frame set for a bond referendum, it has estimated costs for the options under consideration, all of them spread out over 15 years.

According to information provided by the district, Option A would address condition needs of all school buildings in the district at a cost of $500 million to $550 million.

Option B would address those condition needs and fix all educational inadequacies across schools at a cost of $625 million to $675 million.

Option C would address those issues through a complex plan resulting in a markedly different makeup of buildings and programs at a cost of between $600 million and $650 million.

Under Option C, five northside and central Fargo schools would be torn down, at least five elementary schools would undergo consolidations, five new schools would be built and at least six buildings would be renovated, in some cases for a completely different purpose.

That option would also require some boundary changes, Hand sai
d.

Will eliminating property taxes lead to even more spending? It will no longer be looked at as Fargo's money or Grenora's money but state money, so go ahead and spend.

I wonder how PO'd people would be if they had to write out a check for local sales taxes at the end of the year? For example: If you lived in Valley City you would probably have to write checks out to Valley City, Jamestown, Fargo, West Fargo and maybe Bismarck because you spent money in those places.
Sales tax would be collected by the business in said city at the point of sale just like it is now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28