Property Tax Credit

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've stayed out of this discussion as long as I can. You have all seen the " and these people vote" vines/videos/memes, and that's what I get from reading these replies. Hope to god you are a minority.
It seems most of you have no idea where your property taxes even come from. Paid mine last night, sent the check to the county not to the state. If you don't like where your money is being spent don't come here and bitch about it get on a board and fix it. People who get their news from facebook drive me nuts.
Consider the repercussions of this vote. The nice people of Grenora decide they need new playground equipment in their park. Park board, city council get together and get a budget and some bids. If it's enough money the project goes to a vote. Either passes or doesn't but the whole thing is decided by the residents of Grenora. Now- no property tax and no way for Grenora residents to raise money? The nice people in Grenora need to hire someone to go to Bismarck while the legislature is in session and lobby for their new playground equipment. They are standing in line with Bismarck for snow removal funds,, street repair funds, fix the swimming pool funds etc. X 1000. If, by some small chance the legislature even gets the time to look at Grenora's playground project, they are going to be obviously way down the list. Heaven forbid the legislature approves $ for Grenora it gets even better, now everyone in the state is on the hook for playground equipment in Grenora! It is really about local control, this bill will totally gut rural North Dakota.
Mckenzie county also had a flyer in the packet with the statement. 60 years old and not really technologically advanced and I could figure it out. TW
I can't get on a board or become a politician because I'm too damn busy working my ass off to pay my fucking tax bill or I'll lose my property I'm supposed to own!

What would stop the small town of Grenora raising the funding for their park on their own? Why do they need to tack it onto somebody's property tax bill? If people want it then they can pay for it. Pretty damn simple concept!

If this passes and property tax goes away this bill says the state must replace the same amount to local governments as they would have gotten thru property taxes. The state has the money to do it, they are sitting on billions of dollars!

The fact is we're not following the constitution now as far as school funding is concerned. The state constitution says K-12 education should be free yet they are not funding it. If this doesn't pass the next measure should be to eliminate school funding from property tax!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This summer, on the internet, i spent a few/many hours going over the state budget to try and understand and to find those billions.

In time i gave up. There was no way i could trace all the funds. Found a few billions maybe but not all they say they have. Maybe made that way for their own desire.
I know when we built a wind farm those property funds of $600-700,000 where to come to the county. Wrong, the state took them.

So until someone can answer the question i have, i have decided how i will vote. db

Last edited:

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state has many billions hoarded away in numerous slush funds. Coming up with the money will be pretty easy. Restraining spending will be the biggest challenge for them. Cities and counties will learn to prioritize. Roads should always be paid for with fuel taxes. And if it means being able to instill local fuel taxes at the pump so be it. The way the pay for it is only limited to their imagination not a shortage of funds.
Is this the answer to DB's question? I'm not picking on you with this one Eye but that is the answer I have always seen to this question. Scary as shit to me. I can get on your bandwagon as far as either no tax on your primary dwelling or a set amount per household or something, but to just say we should abolish the source of funding for so many vital things without having a new plan is absurd. Waiting on some specifics and I don't believe they are out there. Wally, you can have my rebate if you promise to share any deductions you claim on your taxes. TW

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want info, you really should go here and read about it: www.endpropertytax.com
Below is part of the answer.
1704593517675.png

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
thanks sluggo"

Earlier i had gone to the state comm. report who stated in 2022 it was a little over 1.5 billion before specials.

Now if the state would just send that amount of 1.5 billion back to each county, school, city from their funds.

And then do that every year i could quit writing out a check to the courthouse. The state would do it for me. No need to go through a committee to come up with a plan. Simple. db

Last edited:

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Help me with my vote.

By the way farmers do not pay property taxes on their homes so i assume they cannot sign the petition.
Is that right????????? db
right, million dollar houses. ive seen so-called small family farmers spend 100k in cabinets and countertops in new house builds. not a dime paid in taxes on their home or shops etc. on the "homestead"... this is why im leary of a abolishment of property tax. They will just find a way to make average joe pay more and "small family farmer" will not have to pay for the 7000 acres that he farms and genetates a income with. A business pays tax on any property or buildings they own and the business owner pays taxes on their home. Why are they special? I don't eat ethanol

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state has many billions hoarded away in numerous slush funds. Coming up with the money will be pretty easy. Restraining spending will be the biggest challenge for them. Cities and counties will learn to prioritize. Roads should always be paid for with fuel taxes. And if it means being able to instill local fuel taxes at the pump so be it. The way the pay for it is only limited to their imagination not a shortage of funds.

Hey now, you know full and well the vast majority of the "slush funds" as you call them are full of taxes on oil production. Following the ridiculous line of thought in this thread, unless you have paid oil production and extraction taxes, you shouldn't have a say in what happens to that money.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey now, you know full and well the vast majority of the "slush funds" as you call them are full of taxes on oil production. Following the ridiculous line of thought in this thread, unless you have paid oil production and extraction taxes, you shouldn't have a say in what happens to that money.
Blah blah blah. You continue to beat this assinine drum. Does change the fact the state is spending 1.5-2 billion a year it shouldn’t be

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
If you want info, you really should go here and read about it: www.endpropertytax.com
Below is part of the answer.
1704593517675.png
Thanks for posting this, Sluggo. I posted it a few days ago but mine was hard to read as it was a picture of a poster and kind of grainy. So thanks again for informing the taxpayers of how this proposal can work and where the money will come from to fund the local entities to replace exactly what they would normally get from property taxes.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
right, million dollar houses. ive seen so-called small family farmers spend 100k in cabinets and countertops in new house builds. not a dime paid in taxes on their home or shops etc. on the "homestead"... this is why im leary of a abolishment of property tax. They will just find a way to make average joe pay more and "small family farmer" will not have to pay for the 7000 acres that he farms and genetates a income with. A business pays tax on any property or buildings they own and the business owner pays taxes on their home. Why are they special? I don't eat ethanol
I understand your frustration with special groups, like farmers, getting exemptions, but if this no property tax referendum passes you can be in the same situation as the farmers. No property owner in ND would pay any tax. We would all be treated the same.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
Did you apply for the $500.00 tax credit? Still waiting for your answer!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blah blah blah. You continue to beat this assinine drum. Does change the fact the state is spending 1.5-2 billion a year it shouldn’t be
The conversation wasn't about what the State was, or wasn't spending. You along with a few others are/were saying people who don't have skin in the game shouldn't be voting on what to do with property taxes. Yet, you don't think the same should apply to other taxes.

It just means you're being a hypocrite, that's all.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The conversation wasn't about what the State was, or wasn't spending. You along with a few others are/were saying people who don't have skin in the game shouldn't be voting on what to do with property taxes. Yet, you don't think the same should apply to other taxes.

It just means you're being a hypocrite, that's all.
There is certainly nothing wrong with the state reducing spending to eliminate property taxes. I realize as a state employee this could potentially affect you personally so I’m taking your comment with a grain of salt

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is certainly nothing wrong with the state reducing spending to eliminate property taxes. I realize as a state employee this could potentially affect you personally so I’m taking your comment with a grain of salt

I haven't been an employee of the state since I left UND back in 2003.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i did not apply for the $500 as my own choice.
But my option would be for the state to send 1.5 billion or whatever the amount is to the county's and then each city, school and county would request zero dollars from property tax in 2025 as the state paid that bill. Appears there are a number of accounts they can get those funds from.
They would not get unless they agree to zero property tax for 2025.

Just ask our governor to do that. db

shedwalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't get the notice in my tax statement, but my neighbor did. Went on the site today and it took about 5 minutes to fill out. Any home owner can get the 500.00 no restrictions. The homestead tax credit always had a 500,000. asset limit. They have excluded that on this years application. If you are 65 or over and have a yearly income of 40,000 or less you can get a
nice discount on your 2023 taxes.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've stayed out of this discussion as long as I can. You have all seen the " and these people vote" vines/videos/memes, and that's what I get from reading these replies. Hope to god you are a minority.
It seems most of you have no idea where your property taxes even come from. Paid mine last night, sent the check to the county not to the state. If you don't like where your money is being spent don't come here and bitch about it get on a board and fix it. People who get their news from facebook drive me nuts.
Consider the repercussions of this vote. The nice people of Grenora decide they need new playground equipment in their park. Park board, city council get together and get a budget and some bids. If it's enough money the project goes to a vote. Either passes or doesn't but the whole thing is decided by the residents of Grenora. Now- no property tax and no way for Grenora residents to raise money? The nice people in Grenora need to hire someone to go to Bismarck while the legislature is in session and lobby for their new playground equipment. They are standing in line with Bismarck for snow removal funds,, street repair funds, fix the swimming pool funds etc. X 1000. If, by some small chance the legislature even gets the time to look at Grenora's playground project, they are going to be obviously way down the list. Heaven forbid the legislature approves $ for Grenora it gets even better, now everyone in the state is on the hook for playground equipment in Grenora! It is really about local control, this bill will totally gut rural North Dakota.
Mckenzie county also had a flyer in the packet with the statement. 60 years old and not really technologically advanced and I could figure it out. TW
Sounds to me like Grenora needs a director for their park board that is involved... Here in Stanley the park director is constantly organizing fund raisers and events at the part to help generate money for new projects. From free will offering meals in the park to money generating raffles, just need someone to step up and take the bull by the horns.

I should also add that I don't think that anyone here is advocating for completely taking away all of this tax money.... I think pretty much everyone here just wants it to be pulled from a different source... and yes there are other sources... most cities and counties have a sales tax... raise that if you want everyone who buys stuff in your city to help foot the bill. If that ain't the way you want to do it then maybe the city needs to figure out what the monthly cost of property tax is, then divide that by 12, and tack it on to your water/sewer bill every month... you'd still be pulling in the same amount of money, and people would be able to own their homes outright without the fear of the county taking it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33