Property Tax Increase

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
And of course, we can all run for public office. City, county, state, and federal elections are held pretty often.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those that claim the state has nothing to do with property taxes can you explain to me why 12-15 years ago the state forced the counties to get their valuations up to market value? If the state gets none of the property taxes why would they give a shit what the counties value their properties at? If it's a local tax like you claim then why the concern. And why the buy down by the legislature. They could have just washed their hands of it. If a county would come upon some enormous windfall of cash and don't need the money from property taxes can they tell the state to kiss off we don't need the money and leave us alone.

My understanding is that the state mandated a more regular review of valuations. People that recently had their places assessed for tax purposes were getting upset that they had neighbors with similar properties that hadn't been looked at in 5+ years. So one was paying more for taxes based on the slow pace of rotating through the irregular processes that were in place.

Let's face it, the property tax buydown was nothing more than a very solidly liberal plan to redistribute wealth. Take in money from oil and gas royalty owners and spread it around like it was manure. Pretty damn well supported liberal plan for good ol' conservative ND.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's face it, the property tax buydown was nothing more than a very solidly liberal plan to redistribute wealth. Take in money from oil and gas royalty owners and spread it around like it was manure. Pretty damn well supported liberal plan for good ol' conservative ND.

Exactly!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
weird, morgan forness was the same guy in charge of shiloh's expansion. At least the majority of that was from private donor's.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My understanding is that the state mandated a more regular review of valuations. People that recently had their places assessed for tax purposes were getting upset that they had neighbors with similar properties that hadn't been looked at in 5+ years. So one was paying more for taxes based on the slow pace of rotating through the irregular processes that were in place.

That’s not really accurate. Royalty owners are taxed by the state on the income they received just like any other income the rest of us are taxed on. Same goes for the bonus payments. The state has an oil extraction tax but that is a tax on the producers end I believe. Also, don’t forget that the state owns over a million mineral acres of which hundreds of thousands are under production, so the royalty and bonus payments the state received is what was being redistributed. At least that’s how I understand it.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Taxation without representation sounds like something I've heard before. I'm sick of people in office telling me to vote for something that if we vote down they still do. The city of bismarck is alive and well with the swamp.

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Taxation without representation sounds like something I've heard before. I'm sick of people in office telling me to vote for something that if we vote down they still do. The city of bismarck is alive and well with the swamp.

I do not think this qualifies as taxation without representation. After reading some of the comments here, I am thinking North Dakota is getting what it deserves.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not think this qualifies as taxation without representation. After reading some of the comments here, I am thinking North Dakota is getting what it deserves.

Crumbcake.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure your smart enough to know that the whole funding element for the whole state will have to be reworked. If that means increases in sales tax, user fees, vehicle registration fees or whatever. The money will come from another source. But you already knew that. That's for the legislators to figure out.
Exactly. Everyone used this excuse the last go around to votedown no property taxes. It's not that big of a deal. I'm sure these geniuses can come up with a way to get these small townships thier fair share. It's not a deal. Dealer in the least. It's what we're paying these numb skulls for.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Property taxes are the best thing in this country. I love hearing people say that at least the mill levy is staying the same or going down. It's all BS as they key factor in property taxes is the damn assessment process.

I'm still crunching numbers and trying to get my Excel spreadsheet to show me how finishing out my basement for about $10,000 equates out to a $57,000 increase to my assessed value. My basement is just under 1,000 sq. ft.

I'm scared out of my mind about building a deck this year. I poured the slab and footings this fall which was probably a mistake.

Looks like I'll be paying about $800/year going forward for the use of my basement. I suppose my $8,000 deck will cost my $600 per year.

I should mention that I self-perform the work but this is a bit crazy.

On the bright side, I'm getting closer to getting the wife(+three kids) agreeing to sell the house and move into a one bedroom apartment. I told here we could even buy a sparkly boat if she agreed!!!!!she just rolled her eyes. Not too sure how to interpret that one.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Heres your answer. Yes, Antler gets the crumbs, because it’s still enough.

Ah so because you choose to live in a higher populations center (I don't know if you do or not just turning the tables a bit) you want a system where those of us that are forced to shop in your city for goods we do not have in ours have to pay for your services

why do you assume it is enough? Maybe we want a health and recreation center and want others that do not live here to help fund it.

Once again you seem incapable of providing an answer to much of anything. And yet you call others assholes because they do not blindly accept what those that can not answer simple questions tell us we should do,

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Everyone used this excuse the last go around to votedown no property taxes. It's not that big of a deal. I'm sure these geniuses can come up with a way to get these small townships thier fair share. It's not a deal. Dealer in the least. It's what we're paying these numb skulls for.

Says the guy with Bismarck as his location..........

Then why didn't anyone EVER explain how it would happen?

- - - Updated - - -

I always wonder why people that lamblast our legislators assume they would just figure things out when it comes to funding to replace property tax.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
years ago our small community wanted to put a cover over our swimming pool, after like two meetings it got to be a several million dollar deal, the senor citizens wanted an activity center, somebody wanted an indoor track what they wanted was a full blown Bismarck YMCA. Result we got nothing too many special interest groups.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Property taxes are the best thing in this country. I love hearing people say that at least the mill levy is staying the same or going down. It's all BS as they key factor in property taxes is the damn assessment process.

I'm still crunching numbers and trying to get my Excel spreadsheet to show me how finishing out my basement for about $10,000 equates out to a $57,000 increase to my assessed value. My basement is just under 1,000 sq. ft.

I'm scared out of my mind about building a deck this year. I poured the slab and footings this fall which was probably a mistake.

Looks like I'll be paying about $800/year going forward for the use of my basement. I suppose my $8,000 deck will cost my $600 per year.

I should mention that I self-perform the work but this is a bit crazy.

On the bright side, I'm getting closer to getting the wife(+three kids) agreeing to sell the house and move into a one bedroom apartment. I told here we could even buy a sparkly boat if she agreed!!!!!she just rolled her eyes. Not too sure how to interpret that one.

I actually gutted my basement and the value of my house went up by 80%.... explain that one.... I should also add that over a span of 3 years my house went from being valued at 60k, to 156k.... that new siding I put on the house must be made of pure silver....

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
I actually gutted my basement and the value of my house went up by 80%.... explain that one.... I should also add that over a span of 3 years my house went from being valued at 60k, to 156k.... that new siding I put on the house must be made of pure silver....

Tax evaluations have been screwed up in small towns. The new people in town paid more then their fair share in taxes because they paid market value (or more). The guy down the street (almost identical home) catches up and bitches.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s not really accurate. Royalty owners are taxed by the state on the income they received just like any other income the rest of us are taxed on. Same goes for the bonus payments. The state has an oil extraction tax but that is a tax on the producers end I believe. Also, don’t forget that the state owns over a million mineral acres of which hundreds of thousands are under production, so the royalty and bonus payments the state received is what was being redistributed. At least that’s how I understand it.

You are wrong, period. The production and extraction taxes are paid by royalty owners as well, it just comes out ahead of their seeing the check. Much like payroll taxes do on a 9-5 job.

One could argue that the state was just giving away its share of royalties and not the P&E taxes. But that's kind of like me giving you a couple hundred bucks to pay your light bill this month and me saying "now make sure you don't spend any of this on whiskey or women". You spend my money on your light bill and then use the money you WERE going to spend on lights on your booze and broads.

Last edited:

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are wrong, period. The production and extraction taxes are paid by royalty owners as well, it just comes out ahead of their seeing the check. Much like payroll taxes do on a 9-5 job.

One could argue that the state was just giving away its share of royalties and not the P&E taxes. But that's kind of like me giving you a couple hundred bucks to pay your light bill this month and me saying "now make sure you don't spend any of this on whiskey or women". You spend my money on your light bill and then use the money you WERE going to spend on lights on your booze and broads.

My post was regarding your redistribution of wealth comment. If the taxes weren’t withheld, how would they collect the taxes on mineral owners who live out of state? There are A LOT of out of state mineral owners and a fair amount of ”unlocatable” mineral owners whose royalty money is held in suspense.

Should locals who have no mineral interest foot the bill to repair roads, hiring necessary county employees to deal with population influx, pay for spill cleanup etc.? The counties impacted by oil production get a big chunk of that money. Maybe I’m misunderstanding where you are coming from as far as you saying it’s a redistribution of wealth. How do you think the royalties should be taxed? Or do you think they shouldn’t be taxed or maybe you don’t think the counties outside of the oil producing counties should get any money? I am by no means an oil and gas tax expert and I’m not attacking you, just curious.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah so because you choose to live in a higher populations center (I don't know if you do or not just turning the tables a bit) you want a system where those of us that are forced to shop in your city for goods we do not have in ours have to pay for your services

I've got 2 words for ya, "Amazon Prime". I looked, you can get yourself a new headstall, squeeze chute, deer fence, snow fence, barbed wire fence, electric fence for cattle/sheep/hogs/chickens, no hunting signs, skid-steer attachments, tractor/pickup/skid-steer tires, and a partridge in a pear tree in the form of a snow-globe or christmas-tree ornament.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56