SB 2315 -Everything's Posted Bill

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
District 12 will be well represented...for this bill anyway. I received a personal email back from each of my reps not in favor of this bill. However, one did mention it was gaining momentum because of the few that ruin things for the majority. It's not too late make your voice heard! Let your representatives know!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we can defeat this bill, but we have to leave the third grade mentality of not being a squealer behind us and help with reporting slob hunters. We also have to be willing to go to court and testify. If we don't eventually down the road everything will be posted. Landowners have to do the same. My relatives are such easy going people they let to many thing slide. One day they watched three guys in a pickup drive next to their shelterbelt for a full section east to west. It was posted and I'm sure not all three, perhaps none, had handicap permits to drive off trail. If I see it I'm taking pictures for evidence.

Edit: I'm not real happy about some of the things BCHA does, but I joined to offset the crazyness from groups beyond right like Farm Bureau. It's a shame the middle of the road sane people are so quiet because we are loosing from both ends and I fear in North Dakota we could loose the tiny amount of public land we do have. There will only be a few winners with that scenario and I think everyone knows who that is.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Count me in, I have emailed all the representatives of my district, neighboring districts, and the Ag committee. Now is the time, there will be a committee hearing tomorrow (01/25) at 8:30am on this Bill.

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see this bill as another door closing for the sportsman and another door opening up for the anti's. I have no proof but I would have to think the likes of peta and hsus do not frown on legislation like this. Am I out of line thinking like this?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emailed all of the committee members and my district legislators last night. :;:cheers

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emailed the 4 reps in my district Monday and 2 responded back agreeing that it is a bad idea (although they are dems so take it with a grain of salt). Thanks for posting the senate ag committee info, I emailed all 4 this morning.

I have such a hard time getting a hold of landowners now to ask permission on posted fields, I can't imagine how tough it will be if this passes.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i dont hunt up there but i emailed your committee as a nr against this bill trying the help out door comunity

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see this bill as another door closing for the sportsman and another door opening up for the anti's. I have no proof but I would have to think the likes of peta and hsus do not frown on legislation like this. Am I out of line thinking like this?

Good point. Anything that hurts hunters or animal agriculture makes them happy.

KurtR:
i dont hunt up there but i emailed your committee as a nr against this bill trying the help out door comunity
Thank you Kurt.

Fordboy

I sent emails yesterday. Got a response from one legislator but it didnt say one way or another which way he was leaning

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m having a hard time reconciling this personally with my views on private property rights vs my desire to hunt unencumbered. I’m not sure it will be the doom and gloom some predict but I do know it will impact waterfowl hunters the most.

Question for you waterfowlers, when you go out looking for a field/slough, do you go with the assumption that you’re going to have to get permission?

I purposely try to hunt unposted land instead of having to get permission for posted land. Many of the landowners do not like to be bothered at night and during the hunting season they are even more busy with harvest. Scouting before the season is also tough because a guy doesn’t know what field the birds will be in the night before the hunt. I also do not think being able to get ahold of the landowners for permission is going to be very easy. They won’t force landowners for addresses and phone numbers and they shouldn’t have to give up their privacy. We are sacrificing people wanting privacy for people who don’t think they should have to post their land. This will be doom and gloom for law abiding sportsmen, sporting goods stores, the game and fish budget, and for rural communities.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
TellingME2315 copy.jpg

As I was thinking about this bill for tomorrow's hearings, I want to share one other item that the proponents use as a "solution" when the million acres of unposted lands disappears if it becomes law...the "unposted database" where landowners can list their names, voluntarily, as open to hunting after the law changes...

We've had that database for 20 years...AND PEOPLE GET PAID TO PUT THEIR NAMES IN IT...IT'S CALLED PLOTS.

What will make the person who leaves their land unposted now, but not in PLOTS (where they could get free money) put their land in a voluntary database where they DON'T GET PAID?!? The million acres still disappear. The database "solution" is a feel-good farce.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about a program where it is the responsibility of the landowner to "opt in" if they want their land posted? Of course everyone would opt in against trespass (because that is what this is about) so there would have to be another check box for hunting.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
I heard back from the senator in my district. She is Republican and said she's received so many emails from sportsmen on this bill she can't possibly respond to all of them. She said she will not be supporting this bill as it's obvious it's very important to a large number of her constituents.

The take home message for me is that the legislators are hearing us even if they aren't responding. As always, continue voicing your opinion to your legislators. Not just on this issue, but all issues that are of importance to you. And for God's sake, if your legislator isn't voting how you think they should be, take note and don't vote for them next election.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KurtR.

I emailed whole damn Senate.

hcanderson@nd.gov
jbakke@nd.gov
bbekkedahl@nd.gov
raburckhard@nd.gov
dclemens@nd.gov
dcook@nd.gov
kdavison@nd.gov
ddever@nd.gov
jdotzenrod@nd.gov
madwyer@nd.gov
jayelkin@nd.gov
rerbele@nd.gov
rfors@nd.gov
jgrabinger@nd.gov
jheckaman@nd.gov
khogan@nd.gov
dhogue@nd.gov
rholmberg@nd.gov
jkannianen@nd.gov
jklein@nd.gov
kkrebsbach@nd.gov
ckreun@nd.gov
olarsen@nd.gov
dklarson@nd.gov
galee@nd.gov
jlee@nd.gov
lluick@nd.gov
rmarcellais@nd.gov
tmathern@nd.gov
scottmeyer@nd.gov
jmyrdal@nd.gov
eoban@nd.gov
doehlke@nd.gov
aosland@nd.gov
dpatten@nd.gov
mpiepkorn@nd.gov
npoolman@nd.gov
lrobinson@nd.gov
jroers@nd.gov
kroers@nd.gov
drust@nd.gov
dgschaible@nd.gov
rsorvaag@nd.gov
jkunruh@nd.gov
svedaa@nd.gov
tmwanzek@nd.gov
rwardner@nd.gov

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would this make it illegal to drive up to someones house to ask permission if there are no trespassing signs? Right now, I think people cannot be prosecuted for that, but ive had situations where people have gotten very angry for even going on their land to ask permission to hunt, could we potentially be prosecuted for even doing that if this passes?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
just a little FYI:

This is the Bill in it's current form;
https://www.legis.nd.gov/lcn/counci...?enhlcNumber=2e01c5fd4e4f52ba57700a2c035c7f43

Below is the financial note which only discusses the direct financial impact for administering the Bill but does not address the loss in revenues from licensing, lodging, fuel tax, sporting good sales, etc.

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/fiscal-notes/19-0896-01000-fn.pdf

The bill was introduced by the following senator & legislators;
Sen - Erbele, Patten, Unruh
Rep - Boe, Schmidt, Westlind

The Status as of today was that it would be heard at a committee hearing this morning (1/25) at 8:30 AM. No action has yet been taken by the House or the Governor. The bill was introduced by the Senate (1/17) and referred to the Senate Ag committee.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
E-mailed my Senator and reps in District 30 on Jan 20. Received a call back within two hours from Senator Diane Larson of District 30. Have not had any response from Representatives Nathe / Bosch (Dist 30) or Rep Vigesaa (District 23) where we own some ag property. I sincerely appreciated Senator Larson's prompt response and willingness to engage in conversation relating to this and other pending bills. Kudos to her for taking time to promptly respond!! I do not recall much discussion relating the the Fiscal note that is attached to this bill.
https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/fiscal-notes/19-0896-01000-fn.pdf

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 83
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 32