Smoked Tomatoes

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a bunch of tomatoes in the freezer from last year so I threw a couple in the smoker and was surprised how good they were.
I made mini batches of salsa and BBQ sauce out of them. It was good on a small scale so I just threw a bunch more in , anyone else smoked them and what did you make out of them. The first thing I thought of was clamato but I didn't have a beer handy.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really stupid question....I assume you thaw them before smoking? I've got a freezer from last year as well.

Temp/duration?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have been smoking tomato for salsa for a few years. Adds a little I think

When the salsa gets a little to watery I strain off the excess liquid and keep that for having a "Red Beer." Adds a better kick than just tomato juice.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really stupid question....I assume you thaw them before smoking? I've got a freezer from last year as well.

Temp/duration?
I didn't even thaw them, threw them in frozen and smoked them with apple wood for about 5 hours @ 275 degrees.

I made a beer run and sipping on a red beer , it's pretty darn good.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't even thaw them, threw them in frozen and smoked them with apple wood for about 5 hours @ 275 degrees.

I made a beer run and sipping on a red beer , it's pretty darn good.
Thanks Davey! What sheet/container type did you use? Looking to learn from your experience. I will be doing this in the near future, especially if you just threw them on frozen!

I'm a salsa/hotsauce maker and this will add amazing unique flavor!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ordered a variety pack of those disposable tinfoil baking pans for like 20 bucks, There were 30 large ones that fit perfect in the smoker. But I realized that 5 hours @ 275 isn't long enough for a big batch. The first ones were 2 each in 2 smaller tins and the skin just dissolved and really thickened the mixture when I stirred it. Also when test tasting the outer skin had such a good flavor.

This batch I poured off the juice and used a fork to stir and noticed skin that wasn't dissolved and the the taste isn't as good so I'm gonna throw it back in the smoker tomorrow for a few hours.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
This year I'll be trying something with our tomato skins. I'm going to smoke them, and then dehydrate them and grind them into a powder. I've read that dehydrating and grinding them and using them like salt/pepper adds a ton of flavor to foods. gonna give it a try.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I gave my sister, who had a little hole in the wall bar a couple ice cream pails of cherry tomatoes. Told her to put on the bar for " do it yourself" bloody mary's. Went over real well cause tomatoes didn't last long. LB

catbird

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cut my tomatoes in half put olive oil on them. Then put {good shit seasoning} you can get it at Ace Hardware in Bismarck. Smoke them @ 220 for 2 1/2 hours

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84