Smooth move seats.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you who like these, here is an option for you. Exactly the same thing. EC0DDA6A-203C-4D24-A5DA-86F61DCF3F22.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

0F54DFE0-CC00-491F-BA55-5DE902AA988C.jpg

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I did not like smooth move seats. WavePro is your friend. Hard on the wallet, easy on the back.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. Wavepro are the ticket. Take up a lot less room and ride better.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Smooth Moves do it for me, but I also use my legs as suspension as well, just out of habit.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Skeeter,
Exactly the same including all hardware to attach to pedestal and seat? Or more hardware or modifications required?

Doesn't really matter to me. I also had no use for bulky, weight-sensitive ejection seats, so went with wave pros which have been great.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only experience with smooth move was with the older model and felt like it was going to launch my fat ass right out of the boat. Put a wave pro in my boat and love it. Much smaller and lighter as well. spendy though

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd rather have nothing than smooth moves.

That's just plainly being ignorant................................

Any suspension seat base is better than nothing at all. If your budget only affords smooth moves (SM), then so be it. They do a fine job and most will be glad they have them. Some suspension systems are certainly better than others and some shine in certain instances and not in others. I've either owned or experienced most all of the major brands. I run Air Waves and the harder you push it, the more you appreciate them. However, when your not pushing it, which is most of the time, you either have to readjust air pressure and even then they are aren't as soft of as a SM for lolly gagging along.

The deal is, any of the air pressure bases need to be adjusted to the conditions and specific weight of the person in the seat each time your out. One setting doesn't work for every condition or person. If you have various passengers riding with you, you'll be adjusting them for each individual. They are a not a set it and forget it system but that's how most use them because frankly it's a PIA to get down on your knees with the little air pump and reset the chamber pressures. I don't care what system it is, all of the air pressure driven systems are the same in this regard. The air pressure driven bases are also a fixed height with zero height adjustment. Wavepro's have to be ordered to a specific height and if you don't like the height, it's a whole new base. Air Wave comes in four different heights I believe and then then you can order extensions if you need them taller (this is what I had to do). Once installed they are a fixed height though. This is where the old school SMs shine, quick and easy rebound adjustment and completely height adjustable with a quick reach down and spin of the lever. If I recall correctly, the SM's also come with forward/aft slider adjustment where that's an add on part of the seat for the others if it doesn't already have it. Of course the SM's are much bulkier and heavier than the others if you need to lift your seats out.

This topic always gets me going because everyone likes to dog on the SMs but nobody really ever really dissects the pros and cons of each system. Lets not pretend the Air systems are perfect because they aren't. This often times isn't a one size fits all. Honestly, most of the retired guys I know run the SMs for ease of use, cost, and the fact they aren't out pushing the elements that often and they work good for those guys. It's almost always the young guns that talk up the wave pros or air waves. just something to think about.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best boat seat made in the industry is the TC's aka Throttle Control :)

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The deal is, any of the air pressure bases need to be adjusted to the conditions and specific weight of the person in the seat each time your out. One setting doesn't work for every condition or person. If you have various passengers riding with you, you'll be adjusting them for each individual.

I fully expected this would be the case when I bought the wavepros, but was pleasantly surprised to find they work very well with a wide range of passenger weights and heights. The girlfriend is short and light. Fishing buddy is very tall and heavy, and both are very comfortable without any adjustment.

After 2 years, I've been impressed they haven't leaked air over time.

Wavepro's have to be ordered to a specific height and if you don't like the height, it's a whole new base.

This is correct, and definitely a limitation that should be considered. I've been happy with the size I ordered.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a feeling this might be one of those things that when I finally decide to pull the trigger on it, I will say WTF didn't I do this right after I got the boat? Kinda like buying my Drotto latch.

Fish On!

ranger150

★ Legendary Member

Maybe U should look in the mirror before calling a person ignorant. I am no pup. Had smooth moves in two boats.(Yarcraft, Ranger) In both cases I went back to the solid base. U can't keep Yr butt in a smooth move seat.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a feeling this might be one of those things that when I finally decide to pull the trigger on it, I will say WTF didn't I do this right after I got the boat? Kinda like buying my Drotto latch.

Fish On!

So the Drotto works good? I'm on the fence with that for the last couple years.

What kind of boat did you put it on? any issues.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Maybe U should look in the mirror before calling a person ignorant. I am no pup. Had smooth moves in two boats.(Yarcraft, Ranger) In both cases I went back to the solid base. U can't keep Yr butt in a smooth move seat.

I'll agree to disagree and if you think that a solid base is better than a smooth move because you can't keep yourself planted, then I would expect risingsun's comment above to be valid to your issue................................smoothmove is still in business for a reason. Your in the minority. I'm no "pup" either, I've ran several boats including a skeeter and 3 yar-crafts including my current 219 amongst others. I know several people that are very happy with their smoothmoves in various brands of tin and glass boats and they aren't changing them out for solid bases..............There are pro's and con's for each type system but a solid base isn't even in the conversation.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes they work awesome. I had one on an 1850 tyee w/ roller trailer and also on a 1850 reata w/ bunk trailer. With a roller they are a must IMO. Very convenient on a bunk as well but on my reata the bow eye is mounted very high and it would catch on the TM while unloading on steep ramps so I took it off. They do make a model just for rangers but in the case of the reata it still didn't work great.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
1st gen Smooth Moves were an ejection seat. The second gen Ultra Air Smooth Moves are fantastic; but heavy and bulky.

I have used Airwaves and am pretty sure I suffered a back fracture in a boat with them.

I have changed to Wave Pros. Light weight, rebuildable, and much better than factory seat bases.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member

West,
I have it on an 186 Yarcraft. One of the best damn things I've bought for the boat. I won't ever have another boat without one. It basically takes all the work out of loading. No more reaching over the front to snap the winch and crank when your laying over the trolling motor. No more of my wife wading in the water to crank the damn boat up. She just backs down and I drive on until I hear the click of the latch and I wave her off the ramp. You won't regret spending the money. Oh and I don't want to jinx myself but not one issue and I've probably had it for 4 years.
Fish On!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33