Snowpocalypse

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe 3in here at best. Now I'm glad it wasn't 12" + but holy crap were the weather folks off on this. I feel like when I was a kid, graduated HS in 2005 so before then, that the weather forecasts were more accurate. 20yrs later one would assume the technology has gotten better

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy howdy did they ever blow this one.

NWS GF started out talking about how uncertain their models were on this one, and kept it up right through their most recent this morning.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy howdy did they ever blow this one.

NWS GF started out talking about how uncertain their models were on this one, and kept it up right through their most recent this morning.
We’re not sure if it’s going to hit the north pole or northern oklahoma but just to be sure go buy every carton of milk and eggs fill all your gas cans and then stick your head outside to see if you need a broom, shovel, or tractor…....rofl...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sing this "I'am leaving up to you" and you will feel better. LB

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they don't super hype it and it turns out worse than anticipated, they take a beating for that forecast also. Thought I heard something that it took a stumble when crossed the rockies. Oh well, would rather have it in the form of rain in the near future.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not mad at the forecasters they do the best with what they can estimate. Its a crap shoot dealing with mother nature. I was hoping she would hook us up with a bunch of snow.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get that predicting weather is a challenge and I agree that it's best not to underestimate it but one would think that we have better technology than 20-30yrs ago, just saying I remember predictions being closer more often back then.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I blew I would guess about 5 inches out of the driveway last night, about 1/2 inch blew back in over night. South facing house, means it will be cleaned up by the sun come Friday.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really dont like how the libs use the word 'nothingburger' so often, but it seems very appropriate in this circumstance...

Average_NDA_Member

Hmmmmm nope they had one job thats to tell us where the snows gonna be tell ya what I know more than these so called meterologists bones get to aching = storm ants build mounds = rain eyes get sore = sunny out we know more than the so called experts as usual we learned anyone with fancy schmancy letters after their name is useless just like covid all over again

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
of the millions of ducks that breed and pass through here every year, how many are actually shot? absent very dire circumstances, i can't imagine hunting has much of an impact on population numbers these days. maybe i am wrong.
Agreed esp,ive been tuned in to our central spring snow goose season/ population since day one some 18 yrs ago,north central snow goose population was over 5 million nesting pairs,usfw started to destroy snow goose nesting on the tundra,then "peta law suit" put the kibosh on that program and started our spring snow goose hunt,with liberal limits,some states zero possession spring limits,our central snow goose population is still over 5mil last i checked.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed esp,ive been tuned in to our central spring snow goose season/ population since day one some 18 yrs ago,north central snow goose population was over 5 million nesting pairs,usfw started to destroy snow goose nesting on the tundra,then "peta law suit" put the kibosh on that program and started our spring snow goose hunt,with liberal limits,some states zero possession spring limits,our central snow goose population is still over 5mil last i checked.
You cant compare ducks and snow geese. Any one can go out and kill ducks. The mid continent snow goose population is right around 10 million now down from the high number of the early 2010's when it was pushing 16 to 18 million birds. On top of the fact they have different places they breed and different needs. To also add the estimated harvest of snow geese on the high side is only 548000 in 2020 the total duck harvest in 2020 in north dakota alone almost matches that. Spring snow goose has been happing since 1999 we used white garbage bags back then and killed some

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how accurate harvest numbers are? I know when I did a little bit of it I never reported how many birds I shot, then again I didn't really shoot that many either.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not mad at the forecasters they do the best with what they can estimate. Its a crap shoot dealing with mother nature. I was hoping she would hook us up with a bunch of snow.

Nothing worth doing is very easy as a rule, but gotta hand it to you...you were the first to recognize that this one was going to fall short of expectations across a large area. Which does happen occasionally, but I think that's often due to using too broad of a brush to make sure the ever-shifting focus of the storm stays within the warned area. I have to think the ones most disappointed were the school kids who had activities cancelled due to expected travel impacts.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how accurate harvest numbers are? I know when I did a little bit of it I never reported how many birds I shot, then again I didn't really shoot that many either.
Its an estimation at best. If people who really liked waterfowl hunting understood what it could mean for future season lengths and limits i think they would take it more serious but when counting on people you are generally let down

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84