Stand or get fired

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Homeslice is such a great handle why have such poop come out? It's all poop poop poopy. Just poop.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm writing this for those who are willing to answer a few questions.

I'm a hockey guy and I haven't watched a full game of the NFL for probably 2-3 years and that was the Super Bowl. I haven't had a team since around 2000 and kept gradually losing interest the more the rules were changed, the dancing/celebrating after almost every single play and the games are so freaking slow. I read this summer that they changed the rules about allowing more celebrating this year and thought, yeah, that's what's missing in the NFL, more dudes doing practiced dancing while wearing tights. I have played fantasy football since the early 90's and a few years ago quit every league (do 2 hockey leagues though) except my family one so occasionally I watch the red zone.

My old man was in the Army, one of my uncles retired from the Navy somewhat recently, another uncle was a Marine (I know, once a Marine always a Marine), and my grandpa also served as well as a handful of classmates, including a buddy who went to West Point. Point is, I'm obviously pro military and believe they should be treated with the utmost respect. I just figured I should preface what I'm about to ask before a few start assuming I'm somehow attacking them or am against their position. Also, no I'm not a liberal. I voted for Gary Johnson in the last two elections and mentioned it at the time.

I have an honest question for those of you who decided to stop watching the NFL after this shit. What exactly made you decide to stop watching? I mean, I get the disgust with the kneeling during the anthem and the belief that it was disrespectful to the people who served but I'm more asking why now and not when this started during the preseason last year? The guy who started the whole thing isn't even in the league anymore but he seems to be getting more hate now than all of last year while he was doing this and I know a handful of guys were following his lead. Was the final straw when a couple hundred players, coaches and owners joined in kneeling after trump threw a haymaker at the entire NFL? Or was it something else? I'm honestly curious.

I'm also wondering how many of you know all or even most of the flag code? Turns out I knew very little about rules before today. I read a little bit (looked to be cut out from a newspaper and wasn't very long) of this in the Dunn county courthouse probably 10 years ago and knew a few things from when I wasn't younger and picked up a few other rules along the way. The way I understood what I read was you aren't supposed to wear the flag. I don't know if that means wearing an American flag shirt etc. or literally wearing the flag like they do in the olympics. I knew the flag was not supposed to be used in advertising (Budweiser etc.) or printed on things like napkins/plates and throwaway things like that (like everything I've seen during the 4th). I knew it wasn't supposed to be written on or allowed to touch the ground and has to be above any other flag and never upside down unless you are in distress but that was about it.

This topic got me rethinking about it so I looked it up and admittedly, I had no idea there were as many very specific rules as there are. I'm guessing the military guys know these and maybe others but I am curious as to how many of you guys actually honestly knew all of these very specific rules? There are a lot of these rules that are not followed. I'm not proud that I knew so little about the flag code and I am honestly curious as to why so many people got so fired up all of the sudden when all of the things I listed above have never been boycotted or really even talked about to my knowledge.

I'm being straight up honest and I'm asking anyone who cares to answer honestly because I'm curious how some of you came to form your opinion and not looking for the usual handful of people who seem to get bent out of shape by my questions and opinions. For the record, yes I live in my parents basement because I bought their house from them a few years ago and no they don't live with me because they bought a different one. Sorry for the long post but thought I should cover all my bases before some make assumptions that aren't accurate. Just simply asking questions.

Last edited:

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
these rules used to be taught in school,back when the teachers could discipline little snots, and then sent a note to the parents, where things got real. Back when our fathers, uncles, and yes even our mothers worked and fought for war time efforts in WW11, Todays pansies wouldn t last a minute in our world. How many old timers remember when rebelling meant growing your hair long, and Grandma damn near disowned you. And a mixed marriage meant a Lutheran and a Catholic (shame,shame). It probably wasn t right but it worked. Rant over

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
these rules used to be taught in school,back when the teachers could discipline little snots, and then sent a note to the parents, where things got real. Back when our fathers, uncles, and yes even our mothers worked and fought for war time efforts in WW11, Todays pansies wouldn t last a minute in our world. How many old timers remember when rebelling meant growing your hair long, and Grandma damn near disowned you. And a mixed marriage meant a Lutheran and a Catholic (shame,shame). It probably wasn t right but it worked. Rant over

I went to a school for a year or two in Indianapolis where corporal punishment was allowed in the form of a wooden paddle similar to the ones they used in the movie dazed and confused. I also got the belt from my old man more times than I care to count and I deserved it every time. Do to my dads job we didn't stay anywhere more than a year or two and every school I went to we did the pledge of allegiance every morning until junior high (Bismarck). I don't recall learning all the rules about the flag but that doesn't mean they didn't teach it at some point. Definately possible I forgot or wasn't paying attention. Anyone else remember getting taught about the flag code?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned the flag code in school and even more at basic. Marine is always with a capital M also.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned the flag code in school and even more at basic. Marine is always with a capital M also.

Damn, I apologize. I didn't catch that in my rambling and now I fixed it as well as Army and Navy. I type from my phone and don't capitalize anything unless it's the beginning of a sentence so that makes me wonder why the hell my phone auto capitolized things like NFL and Super Bowl but didn't auto capitalize Army, Navy or Marine. Thanks for pointing it out.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit watching completely when Kapernick started this shit. His pig cop socks was the final straw. Oh by the way, it is now reported that this jackass that says this is a nation of oppression hasn;t even bothered to vote...........

We earned the flag code back in school and in 4-H and FFA. I try to be pretty particular about it to the point some people look at me kinda funny like whats the big deal. Have never like when athletes drape themselves in the flag. Display it properly.

It seems maybe a message is getting thru.

http://ijr.com/the-declaration/2017...=Facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_term=ijamerica

However, now it seems the Patriots are going to make Trump a happy man once again. The Patriots will be standing, all of them, for the national anthem this Sunday according to reports. CBS Boston reported.

The Patriots will play the Carolina Panthers, who reportedly will also be standing. Trump has called for a ban against protesting the national anthem in the NFL. The league has also seen its fair share of fan backlash involving disgruntled fans burningtheir jerseys and broad drops in the ratings.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know of any "flag code" before enlisting besides standing up straight, facing the flag and and putting your hand over your heart. And you do that every time the national anthem is played. We did this to honor the country in which we reside and those who have sacrificed everything to make the country what it is...free. If they chose to kneel during any other time, this entire mess would have been avoided. It doesn't matter what you tell us your message is or that we're idiots because we think it's about the flag or our country, but you chose to protest during an event we were raised to respect. I don't think it's something incredibly difficult to understand why red-blooded Americans would be pissed about overpaid athletes shitting on something they've respected since childhood.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's like algore claiming it's climate change, when his global warming was no longer selling. It was a show of disrespect towards our country, military, and police. But now that it's turning out unfavorable, it's suddenly not a stand against any of that....blah blah.

What the fuck is social justice anyway? And why is it a constant mention when the need to excuse awful behavior of a minority towards authority, and law and order.

I know I'm white, so I just plain suck.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit watching completely when Kapernick started this shit. His pig cop socks was the final straw. Oh by the way, it is now reported that this jackass that says this is a nation of oppression hasn;t even bothered to vote...........

We earned the flag code back in school and in 4-H and FFA. I try to be pretty particular about it to the point some people look at me kinda funny like whats the big deal. Have never like when athletes drape themselves in the flag. Display it properly.

It seems maybe a message is getting thru.

http://ijr.com/the-declaration/2017...=Facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_term=ijamerica

However, now it seems the Patriots are going to make Trump a happy man once again. The Patriots will be standing, all of them, for the national anthem this Sunday according to reports. CBS Boston reported.

The Patriots will play the Carolina Panthers, who reportedly will also be standing. Trump has called for a ban against protesting the national anthem in the NFL. The league has also seen its fair share of fan backlash involving disgruntled fans burningtheir jerseys and broad drops in the ratings.

I totally forgot about the pig socks until it was brought up in an article I was reading today.

You've got to be shitting me! Are you positive he is eligible to vote? I'm going to assume he is because if he was a felon I would imagine that would have been common knowledge by now.

I guess that shouldn't be surprising to find out he didn't even vote, he didn't even think about doing this shit until his girlfriend convinced him. He didn't even f'n vote! I can't even find the words to describe how totally f'd that is in this specific case. You want people to be aware of injustices as you see them and you want change but won't even vote? I still believe he has the right to do what he did but what a complete dick.

I've been working on the road for almost 11 years and I have voted in every election and I have known before I even go that the guy I am voting for doesn't have a chance in hell. No excuse to not vote IMO. If you don't, why should anyone acknowledge your opinion. Didn't even vote, WOW.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
To say it is anything but disrespecting the flag and country is complete bull shit, this comment is right from the horses ass mouth why he started kneeling he does not mention unity.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media on 8-27-16

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I totally forgot about the pig socks until it was brought up in an article I was reading today.

You've got to be shitting me! Are you positive he is eligible to vote? I'm going to assume he is because if he was a felon I would imagine that would have been common knowledge by now.

I guess that shouldn't be surprising to find out he didn't even vote, he didn't even think about doing this shit until his girlfriend convinced him. He didn't even f'n vote! I can't even find the words to describe how totally f'd that is in this specific case. You want people to be aware of injustices as you see them and you want change but won't even vote? I still believe he has the right to do what he did but what a complete dick.

I've been working on the road for almost 11 years and I have voted in every election and I have known before I even go that the guy I am voting for doesn't have a chance in hell. No excuse to not vote IMO. If you don't, why should anyone acknowledge your opinion. Didn't even vote, WOW.

(CNN)Colin Kaepernick did not vote in last week's presidential election, saying at the time that it didn't matter to him who won.

On Sunday, after the San Francisco 49ers lost 23-20 to the Arizona Cardinals in Glendale, Arizona, Kaepernick defended his action.
"You know, I think it would be hypocritical of me to vote," Kaepernick told reporters. "I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I'm not going to show support for that system. And to me, the oppressor isn't going to allow you to vote your way out of your oppression."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/14/sport/49ers-qb-colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-didnt-vote/index.html
- - - Updated - - -

And yet voting elected a black man president......twice............that is the moron the NFL is following.......and liberals are embracing

Last edited:

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

(CNN)Colin Kaepernick did not vote in last week's presidential election, saying at the time that it didn't matter to him who won.

On Sunday, after the San Francisco 49ers lost 23-20 to the Arizona Cardinals in Glendale, Arizona, Kaepernick defended his action.
"You know, I think it would be hypocritical of me to vote," Kaepernick told reporters. "I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I'm not going to show support for that system. And to me, the oppressor isn't going to allow you to vote your way out of your oppression."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/14/sport/49ers-qb-colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-didnt-vote/index.html
- - - Updated - - -

And yet voting elected a black man president......twice............that is the moron the NFL is following.......and liberals are embracing

That's some sound logic he's got right there.
Personally, I don't think he's worth giving attention to now since the problem (kaepernick) took care of itself for the most part since he's out of the league and if he hadn't sealed his own fate already, I'm guessing after this it's been sealed and buried. I just don't understand why trump would give him the attention over a year after the fact. I know trump already said something a year ago and he knows the value of free press (good or bad) better than maybe anyone. Trump has a unique ability to change or control the story line in the media, which is almost an impossible task (minus the russia narrative for the first few months and other nonsense here and there). He's been doing it for decades, granted he had a much smaller stage than he does now.

Sure, kaepernicks misguided actions started the conversation but I personally don't see it the same way you do that the NFL was following his lead since to the best of my knowledge they ignored him from the get go. He isn't even in the league anymore. I see it as the NFL more or less chose to ignore him when he started his shit and also ignored what has been going on since by the handful of players who decided to join in for their own reasons and the NFL only took any kind of stance once trump essentially forced their hand with his comments at the rally for "big Luther". Trump wasn't only talking about kaepernick this time, he threw the entire league, owners and players in the mess when he said what he said and the NFL, players and owners were essentially left with no choice but to respond in some way IMO. No matter what they did at that point was a lose/lose gamble as I said in another post on a different thread.

This article is from over a year ago. kaepernick wasn't getting very much support back then and I don't think that changed much. I guess we will see moving forward.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/29/donald-trump-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest

I'm not trying to discount anyone's opinion or say they are wrong. I understand why people are livid about this shit and have every right to be. Trump and kaepernick are device people. I'm not trying to say I'm right but based on the information I had/have, that's mostly how i formed my opinion. As everyone knows opinions aren't facts and all I can do is try to find what facts are available and form an opinion based on those facts and try to leave the emotion out of it. I am also not married to my opinions. Been wrong before (once) and will be again (doubt it though). ;)

Gst, the article you posted about him not even voting and his flawed logic as to why he didn't was something new that I hadn't seen or heard about. I'm sure there's more. Thanks for sharing it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Truth be told .

..When my president lied to me and claimed 4 of my comrades were murdered because of a video insulting Muslims...I didn't take a knee.

When my president shipped pallets of cash to my sworn enemy...I didn't take a knee.

When my president failed to identify Muslims as terrorists and Islam as an enemy of the state...I didn't take a knee.

When my president claimed that a man who tried to kill another man who lawfully defended himself could be his son...I didn't take a knee.

When my president defended a thug who bum rushed law enforcement...I didn't take a knee.

When my president ordered businesses to spend unnecessary funds to appease a minority of people who need mental intervention far more than they need their own toilet...I didn't take a knee.

When my president ordered that words 'one nation under God' be removed from the pledge of allegiance...I didn't take a knee.

When my president lied to me and said I could keep my doctors and my premiums would go down...I didn't take a knee.

When my president spent my tax dollars in foreign lands to interfere in their elections...I didn't take a knee.

While my president sat by passively and enabled ISIS to emerge as a stronger force dedicated to spreading Islamic ideals by committing murder, rape and torture...I didn't take a knee.

When my president allowed dictators and murderers to violate his red lines and continue to murder women and children with chemical gas...I didn't take a knee.

When my president chastised law enforcement for their actions but ignored the violence in our streets...I didn't take a knee.

When my president identified the weather as the greatest threat to America's safety while Muslims worldwide are murdering innocent people...I didn't take a knee.

While my president's insistence that pacifism and reform in numerous areas of the globe would bring peace but instead led to the strengthening of those that seek to destroy us...I didn't take a knee.

When the election of my president broke barriers never thought possible in America ended up being the high point of his eight years in office...I didn't take a knee.

In all that time I never disrespected our Country, our Armed Forces and Veterans, or our Nation. I remained vigilant. And I got a new president.

Some Interweb Dude

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
0DB061FD-3AE0-4210-9EE7-AC9B8B0A9EBE.jpg

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Truth be told .

..When my president lied to me and claimed 4 of my comrades were murdered because of a video insulting Muslims...I didn't take a knee.

When my president shipped pallets of cash to my sworn enemy...I didn't take a knee.

When my president failed to identify Muslims as terrorists and Islam as an enemy of the state...I didn't take a knee.

When my president claimed that a man who tried to kill another man who lawfully defended himself could be his son...I didn't take a knee.

When my president defended a thug who bum rushed law enforcement...I didn't take a knee.

When my president ordered businesses to spend unnecessary funds to appease a minority of people who need mental intervention far more than they need their own toilet...I didn't take a knee.

When my president ordered that words 'one nation under God' be removed from the pledge of allegiance...I didn't take a knee.

When my president lied to me and said I could keep my doctors and my premiums would go down...I didn't take a knee.

When my president spent my tax dollars in foreign lands to interfere in their elections...I didn't take a knee.

While my president sat by passively and enabled ISIS to emerge as a stronger force dedicated to spreading Islamic ideals by committing murder, rape and torture...I didn't take a knee.

When my president allowed dictators and murderers to violate his red lines and continue to murder women and children with chemical gas...I didn't take a knee.

When my president chastised law enforcement for their actions but ignored the violence in our streets...I didn't take a knee.

When my president identified the weather as the greatest threat to America's safety while Muslims worldwide are murdering innocent people...I didn't take a knee.

While my president's insistence that pacifism and reform in numerous areas of the globe would bring peace but instead led to the strengthening of those that seek to destroy us...I didn't take a knee.

When the election of my president broke barriers never thought possible in America ended up being the high point of his eight years in office...I didn't take a knee.

In all that time I never disrespected our Country, our Armed Forces and Veterans, or our Nation. I remained vigilant. And I got a new president.

Some Interweb Dude

First I would agree with quite a bit of what was written here, then I would like to ask this interweb dude what any of this ultimately has to do with trump and this specific topic right now. This is the exact same kind of stuff that pissed you off (and rightfully so) when obama and the other liberals did the exact same thing for years when all they would say is it's bush's fault, no matter what the topic actually was. Do you not remember how irritating it was when the liberals were doing it? I do. Why act exactly like what you despise about liberals. Why not just be better than them? It wasn't relevant when liberals did it and it is equally irrelevant now.

That's what I would say if some interweb dude posted that. But that's just me. It's almost impossible to have a direct discussion about a specific topic when the go to is basically "but obama did this" or "bush did that". Yes, he wasn't honest when it suited him. That sounds exactly like every president and almost every politician I have seen for decades. It won't change if we don't make it. The hypocracy from both political "teams" is never ending. I can show you more examples if you want but that doesn't help stay on topic at all. That's what I would say. Got a feeling I will be getting some negative reps for this but this is honestly how I see it and a major reason why I can't get on board with either "team". You don't have to agree, that's one of many great things about this country.

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand if people say they don't like the brash manner in the way he conveyed the message, but are we as a country really in a place where people are mad because the President of the United States of America basically in his own way said show the national anthem and the flag some respect.....really?? I get the whole free speech/first amendment thing but it really comes back to they have the right to say what they are saying without repercussions from the government but a private entity,such as the nfl, has the right to end your employment because of those statements. I think that's what all this boils down to and why people are up in arms and burning their shirts hats season tickets or just simply shutting off their tvs. Funny how that gets lossed somehow

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told many many years ago at a young age that you shouldn't wear the flag ( meaning the flag itself ), but you may wear a shirt or headband with an image of the flag. Don't know if right or not just what i was told so long ago.
I love this Country and to me the problem boils down to there isn't much respect in this day and age. We were raised to be seen and not heard when company came over, respect ones elders, respect your parents, respect the flag and national anthem, say the pledge of allegiance, open doors for your elders and ALL women and so many more.
My Dad and his family came over from Germany/Russia in 1912 when he was 3. He and his whole family became citizens and learned to read and write in English. His Dad said we will speak English in this Country as that is the language that is spoken here. They told us about all they suffered through over across the big pond and they said here we have rights but one must respect America and respect the flag and all that it stands for.
Seems like immigrants (sp) back then knew how much better our Country was as they were treated like dirt in their old Country. Many were taken away by their Country's military and never returned. So many things that we take for granted.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 59