Storms

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
ask folks in Winnipeg if the “loss” of farmland was worth it

how the hell did little minneapolis get drug into this anyway?

Thanks for saying that.

Fargo should have built a diversion when Winnipeg did.

They made fun of the guy in Winnipeg that wanted the diversion in the 50's too.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t hate the diversion. I just think Minnesota was trying to pull the wool over ND’s eyes.

Ran to turtle lake to help the inlaws with some fallen trees. The drive from Washburn and North on 200 looks like a war was fought.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t hate the diversion. I just think Minnesota was trying to pull the wool over ND’s eyes.
What I don't understand is the fear of loss of cropland. We try sell grain to other nations because the price is low due to surplus. I'm not trying to stir the pot here I look at the efforts to export and the reason for many programs that have been developed to curtail surplus and wonder why taking land out of production is a bad thing. I suspect the complaining is to ensure the landowner who's land it will go on will be overcompensated.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I don't understand is the fear of loss of cropland. We try sell grain to other nations because the price is low due to surplus. I'm not trying to stir the pot here I look at the efforts to export and the reason for many programs that have been developed to curtail surplus and wonder why taking land out of production is a bad thing. I suspect the complaining is to ensure the landowner who's land it will go on will be overcompensated.
Maybe the landowner does not want to sell

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bet you wouldn't be quite so even Keel if it was your land they were flooding.

You may be right I don't know. If I had a quarter of land worth $10k per acre and the gov gave me $20k per acre I woukd think I would have a hard time being sad about it. Price is irrelevant it's the overcompensation which is my point. I think of Fema at Churches Ferry where some houses worth $5k and Fema paid $50k. A fellow I have hunted with sold his couple of sections for what Garrison dam would flood. They purchased six or eight sections here and a business. It made him wealthy. Don't you think that sometimes the fuss is simply a shakedown for more money? We don't like taxes, but we like to stick it to the gov as if it actually didn't come from tax paying Americans.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

Maybe you should give up 10% of your income because someone else wants somthing diffent.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The few acres I own are all priceless no matter the offer. God willing it will be own by the kids when I am gone and when they are gone (I have already deed it to them).

So federal and state government, keep your hands off (same with my guns). No waters even close.
I am sure I could not find as fine as one of my spot as I have on the 1.8 acres that I have in the bush or for that matter on land own by others that lets me put food plots and trees on their lands. db

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ Seemed like last summer I was saying the same thing DM...but because I was begging for rain! Feast or famine I guess...

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe you should give up 10% of your income because someone else wants somthing diffent.
If someone wants to pay me double or triple for the things I own they can have anything I have. If someone pays you $320,000 for a quarter of land will you really make that much off it farming? Real question, you tell me. If you can then I understand your unwillingness to sell.

Edit: lots around me are going for $50 per acre. That land close to Fargo has to be worth a mint. A quarter would let you put a million in the bank and hobby farm to your hearts content. It would be money beyond my wildest dreams. However, if farming is in your blood like shooting is in mine I can understand that too.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
2.75 in the last 12 hours at my place. Be interesting to see how well those pumps at Tavis Road keep up with the drainage ditch considering it's only a couple feet from the top.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had 2inches of rain from last night through this morning in Mandan. This was the east end of main at the RR tracks this morning at 7.
36575581_10212082001581629_1776421816772853760_n.jpg

saw some videos from the Bismarck side down by target and 7th street. A lot of water there too!

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If someone wants to pay me double or triple for the things I own they can have anything I have. If someone pays you $320,000 for a quarter of land will you really make that much off it farming? Real question, you tell me. If you can then I understand your unwillingness to sell.

Edit: lots around me are going for $50 per acre. That land close to Fargo has to be worth a mint. A quarter would let you put a million in the bank and hobby farm to your hearts content. It would be money beyond my wildest dreams. However, if farming is in your blood like shooting is in mine I can understand that too.

Where in the hell do you live that land is going for $50/ac??? Please PM me... so I can buy some!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38