tapping boxelder trees

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a relatively small black walnut, so they will survive in ND. Even after they were accidentally mowed a few times. Mine is located on the edge of my pond. Probably way wetter ground than I would have expected to find one.
I planted about 40 black walnuts seeds on my land last fall, hope to have good germination, they are spaced in a grid, 10 M between trees, might end up being too close, but I expect some will fail to grow.

Ive also got a 2 year old pecan area that are doing ok, and a 1 year old chestnut area. With our relatively mild winter, hopefully everything made it through. Likely the chestnuts are the least hardy for this area.

★ Legendary Member
My grandfather in had many black walnut trees on his farm in oliver county. He planted a large area like you describe lycan...they did well.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are these said darker walnuts of African decent? Jus tryin ta keep da peace here ya know?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
And so begins 3 weeks of work for 1 pint.
If that was the payoff you wouldn't find this guy wasting his time with it.

A couple gallons from just two trees over two week's time is not atypical for me and the Mrs.

Not a heck of a lot going on this time of year anyway and it's awesome to spend some time outdoors in tolerable temps.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted about 40 black walnuts seeds on my land last fall, hope to have good germination, they are spaced in a grid, 10 M between trees, might end up being too close, but I expect some will fail to grow.

Ive also got a 2 year old pecan area that are doing ok, and a 1 year old chestnut area. With our relatively mild winter, hopefully everything made it through. Likely the chestnuts are the least hardy for this area.
If you want to fool with it: If/When they start hitting the oil is worth decent money.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just for the heck of it I decided to check out a large silver maple tree in my yard. I have never checked it out. The sap is running like crazy. Next year I will be prepared.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have a volunteer black walnut tree that actually had walnuts on it for the 1st time. I didn't have a clue what they were and had to google it. Its in a bad spot and will have to come down when I redo my horse fence.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got no less than 40 boxelder trees I am hoping to tap in the next 5-10. I transplanted them all over with a spade from a volunteer garden about 12 years ago.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I have a volunteer black walnut tree that actually had walnuts on it for the 1st time. I didn't have a clue what they were and had to google it. Its in a bad spot and will have to come down when I redo my horse fence.
If it’s not too big move it, or sell it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88