There's Never Enough

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've recently contracted to have someone come in and replace a door and do the metal wrap around a couple more. Again, not because I can't replace a door, but that afternoon would be better spent fishing.

afternoon? that would be a week long project for me, with six trips to Menards, $127 in returns of crap I didn't use, and a case of imported beer over the week's time to calm me down

but I still couldn't bring myself to farm it out

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah hah hah, I have a knack for underestimating the time it takes me to do things.

Just ask my ex!

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of buying my time, it's time to go fishing!

onpoint!

Established Member
I've made it around the sun nearly 60 times... three kids and four grandkids later, I pause sometimes to reflect, "what would i change if i could do it all over again?" Yes, always worked long hours, and took few vacay's with the fam back in the day. Prolly change that!
Drug 3 kids in grade school with me to grad school and lived on a shoestring during and afterwards, at least for a while. But those sacrifices were decisions to help lift THEIR futures, not mine. Wouldn't change any of that.
Kids now doing great. Mama and I are enjoying the journey together, although worked hours are still pretty heavy - looking to slow that down in the next couple/few years. It is all about balance. Balancing work with home and kids, balancing work projects with time spent actually talking with and coaching the kiddos to learn about important things in life. Demonstrating what it means to be the father of a family, how God is at the center of how we live, and how they are to live and treat others for the rest of their lives. Fishing, hunting, camping and home activities were important in starting and coping with those conversations. How you do them, what equipment you use while having them, is irrelevant (to them, in the long run). They won't remember or care if you had the sparkly boat or an old Lund tin can; if you used flashers or just stared at a bobber sitting on the ice together. We didn't have a pot to pee in while going to grad school, but my kids recall those two years as the best in their whole childhood because we were together lots, doing (free) stuff as a family, had lots of neighborhood friends, and so on. The experience opened their eyes to the value of education, the commitment of family, the power of prayer and comfort (and challenges) of faith. Who would've thunk?
My recipe may not be yours, but it worked for us. Good Luck.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never enjoy the fishing part of the outdoors nor water. Never learn to swim, ate a fish stick on a Friday one time at school as I was so hungry. But I can spent hours just siting at my deer stand even if it just watching the crops grow.
Yes there has to be some kind of limits and common sense with all of this.

The FFA advisory felt he had complete control of my one daughter and one night kept her and others until midnight working on flowers. At that moment there came a limit in my life with her and the advisory. Then the cheerleader coach told her either cheerleading or not and then the basket ball coach told her basket or not. Then a understanding told place with all. Balance it out.

But me and wife brought them into this world and with that our job began with all the rewards we as parents would get with five kids. Been good with a lot of heartaches also. All did not turn out as plan and there are regrets. We left it to the kids to find the limits as our limits and time where endless. There where times they were uncertain as to what to do and at times were beside themselves with being pull into many direction. But they made it and we have all those great memories with a bunch more coming with the grandkids.

In time the monies came and hopefully enough to get about 9 more years in before the government needs to take care of us. Never took any assistance up to this point so hopefully I can get about 30 years of some of my tax monies back sleeping in my nursing home. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just read the article where the writer stated the goal is all debt paid by 45 and then the last 20 years building ones nest egg.

Some have done this and they did because of the focus, their primary goal and a job, life style that enable them to do it. Good job.

We did not (other goals came into place) and at 66 the debt finally started to disappear and the nest egg started to build. But that meant to continue to work (great boss who has given me many hours of freedom for the same pay).

With the paying of debt, continue salary and SS along with a couple of other investment income the wife and I started putting 6-7000/month into savings and checking. Over 6 years (less fricking income tax) it does build. Now, do we have enough. Depends on a lot of things, how long can we be active in life and if our health would wipe us out. Hope not, no pills at this time. Would like to buy one last major thing of a ranger to use when we go to northern Canada shed hunting, so will work a little longer.

So do not know the future but we know the past. Tomorrow we both will spend a weekend watching a couple of grandkids play baseball, before and after game a few beers, steaks on the grill, riding a trike we just bought (with cash), fire pit and talking maybe a little stupidly. This afternoon I intend to spray the food plots. Wife going to our rental spot on a lake. Ah its good. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84