What is the best day of fishing you've ever had?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
one day up at tobin bout 10 years ago, 3 of us were out by 8, back to camp by noon for a burger, three beer buzz, 2 hour nap, then back out and fished till dark... that day we had 14 eyes over 26" (4 over 30) in the boat, with the (my) biggest ever at 32 1/2"...

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had to many. Would be hard to narrow it down to just one.

- - - Updated - - -

Good topic though. It seems now that I have a son that fishes the days where he is catching the crap out of them really brightens my days.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best for me is last sept when I got back to back career best fish 5 mins apart. 29 1/4 followed by a 29 1/2.

Not gonna lie though. It is fun watching my dad learn to pitch jigs. He talks about how a 15" walleye jabs at the hook for an hour and it makes me smile. I need to shut up and listen to his stories more, I won't have him to tell them to me some day and all I will have is the memories about him telling them.

mmanske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_2016-03-06-19-55-54.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That was me and my youngest in about 2hrs on the wild rice river

Attachments

Screenshot_2016-03-06-19-55-54.jpg

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most memorable for me was when I was 5 or 6 years old. Before the perch limits and crazy bites on Lake darling dad gramps and I iced 140 perch in about 5 hours.

2nd on the list is 2 or 3 winters ago when dad and my brother and I had 60 perch over 9 inches and 13 walleyes over 16 inches in less than 4 hours. Drove onto the lake at 8 A.M. and we're driving off the lake at noon.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to choose one, but any day that I run out of bait or drive home with sore arms from reeling in so many fish is a good day!

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most memorable for me is on Devils Lake in July the mid-nineties. I was probably only about 10, and my dad and I had been making the hour drive to the lake each weekend as it was just gaining notoriety as a big time fish factory. For a few years before, either he would go with his buddies or sometimes I'd tag along, but we never had much for success, despite reports of easy limits of perch and walleye.

On that particular camping trip, we left the dock (back when you had to walk down to the water and could almost cast across Ziebach pass, how old is that?!), and headed out after lunch. I don't know what we suddenly did right, but we couldn't keep up with the action. Eyes of all sizes, bonus jumbo perch, and a 15# plus pike kept us busy until we went through 2 scoops of Ed's bait shop minnows and a cup of leeches. There was still a couple hours until sundown so we switched to plastics and white bass provided the entertainment. It was the first time I ever saw my dad act like a kid and I thought it was great. I bet if I went home and brought it up he'd still remember every detail of that day.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flats fishing off of Key West a couple years ago. Three of us limited out on sea trout, pulled in about 20+ different species of fish and the day ended reeling in a 5 foot reef shark.

YATYAS

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was about 8 years old my great grandpa, my older cousin Jimmy (about 18 years old), and I hit a small local lake. I remember the fishing was not very good and being bored. My cousin Jimmy finally hooked a nice sized walleye. He almost had it to the boat and he yelled for me to net it. Well of course I didn't net the fish and it spit the hook just as I was getting the net in the water. Well, Jimmy tried to throw me in the lake but grandpa saved me. Jimmy still give me shit about it when we see each other. As I look back on all the fishing I have done since, that is the day I wish I could do all over.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the best day of fishing you've ever had?

Thank you for starting this thread, it is a much needed break from some of the other banter threads of late here.
Like deep breathing in a lung full of clean crisp air and stories of peoples favorite memories never gets old..Thumbs Up

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for starting this thread, it is a much needed break from some of the other banter threads of late here.
Like deep breathing in a lung full of clean crisp air and stories of peoples favorite memories never gets old..Thumbs Up
you're welcome

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too many maybe to count, but those don't always have limits or big fish but time spent with family, some no longer here, friends and now my kids. I get a kick seeing pics of my great uncles and great parents trips to Canada, Michigan and hearing the stories from my mom and uncle. Outside of my kid's first fish it would be my first time on Erie, on my own boat and getting a 2 man limit of 26-28" walleye pulling cranks.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a 12 year old kid mom dropped me off along the James near the town of Lamoure (no cell phone, no worries) while she went to a church meeting. I didn't catch much but watched some people catch a lot of big carp. Talked pa into taking ma, me and my 2 bros back the following weekend as I promised a lot of action. Wouldn't you know it, big rains the day before so river was running high and what was slow current the previous week was now white water. On a whim we walked down river a ways until the current slowed and proceeded to hammer big carp all day. I remember that day like it was yesterday instead of 40 years ago. I remember dragging the stringer of fish back to the car, the only mistake we made was trying to eat them buggers :)

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having grown up in an older family who lived through the great depression and lean times, they all fished and none were picky, If they caught it they ate it no matter what the species and were happy to just have food and that carried through their entire lives, nothing was wasted or thrown back ever.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 35 years ago I got to Devils Lake just in time for the evening bite, I drilled a hole and dropped a swedish pimple under a bobber and started drilling another hole and tried getting the house set up. It was non stop walleye action that wasn't ending but just getting better so I couldn't get anything done, It was getting dark and cold so I quit fishing and got set up. I had 3 on the ice about 6 pounds each by the time I got set up and they just kept biting faster and the fish kept getting bigger out one hole and down the other. By 11:30 or so they finally quit I had Caught and released over 80 walleyes many 6-7 and 8 pounders. I threw the biggest and smallest ones back and cleaned my limit of 6 and 7 pounders.

Almost identical situation within a year or two on Sakakawea one summer when my boys were about 8 and 9 . We were jigging and slow trolling with my big ol 21' fiberglass boat and a 2 HP trolling motor in a shallow mud flat bay. when my Ted Williams flasher lit up solid like I had never saw before. Walleyes stacked up like firewood and on a frenzie, Drop a jig over the side and just under the boat , BAM .one after the other like that. We had our limit and the Kids quit because it was getting too dark and I was flasher blind so I shut it off and got rid of the spots I was seeing and here the front of the boat was in the mud, We had sat in one spot churning mud and catching walleyes for a little while but I don't know how long.

- - - Updated - - -

Having grown up in an older family who lived through the great depression and lean times, they all fished and none were picky, If they caught it they ate it no matter what the species and were happy to just have food and that carried through their entire lives, nothing was wasted or thrown back ever.

YEP, I can relate to that in a big way. We were lucky to have plenty of Northerns so fish cleaning and eating was ok but It seemed like the old man could smell a potato in the ground, He would say dig around a little more and sure enough I'd find another one.
It didn't matter how good the potato crop was, We drug them all down to the fruit room then drag the leftovers out in the spring and the neighbors would come and haul them away for seed potatoes. Butchering deer or livestock the same way. Or if we spilled grain during harvest, We used to get down and scoop it up with our hands till we were down to the bare dirt. Or see a tarp strap or a prime fur or something on the road and SLAM ON THE BRAKES, It never mattered how late we were. The good old days. I did acquire a taste for Venison ribs though, They are tough to beat. One look at my " Treasure piles" reminds me I grew up like I was raised.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being selfish, this was a pretty good day...... 4 solid 18-21 inch eater walleyes topped off by a 13 lb 8 oz whopper from the Sheyenne River.

Super Walleye 11-Oct-11013.jpg

Being in a Group, this was a fairly enjoyable day.......

P4200154.jpgP4200149.jpg

And then there is any one of these......

Rainy Day Twins002.jpgPanfish Pummel013.jpgLg Red horse sucker 5 Jul050.jpgCassie ice fishing 2014049.jpgCassie Ice Fishing085.jpgJan Perch w Cassie - birds007.jpgCasssie Bow and fish112.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every damn day I get on the water is "the best ever".

Period. And yes, that included this 17 degree morning!

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was 15 my two buddy's and I got way back in a slough off of devils lake and really hammered the pike it was crazy. I remember we tried trolling for a while but you couldn't count to thirty and you would have a fish on so we started casting. Next thing we knew it was probably 11 at night and the fish where still going but we had to go so our parents wouldn't kills us or think we where dead (no cell phones). We probably got 80 pike a piece that night never kept any. They were all in the 8-10 pound range and we got 3 over 15

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last week South of Bis,it was awesome!

IMG_20160412_003958.jpg

;)
Went on a Canadian fly in fishing trip as a kid, that rates right up there for me. Was also my first time in a plane.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31