What will you focus on this open water season?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Two summers ago, I focused on pulling cranks. Last summer ... total honesty ... I was quite lazy and pulled a lot of BB's and slow death hooks. I usually have a boat full of kids, so don't judge too harshly.

This year I think I will focus on pitching into shallows, teaching the wife how to tag-team cranks, and jigging aggressive lures.

What will you do this open water season? Any new focus?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
This year I will focus on learning how to fish jigging raps, I finally found some cheap ones ($1.80) that I can put together and paint myself so I can afford to use them in devils lake.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got a whole new territory to learn this year, but my focus will be fishing the James River and learning how to fish Crappie.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same old . Drink beer and fill the livewell with limits of Devils lake walleyes every weekend

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm planning on making my way further up the river. I've only fished west of new town a handful of times. This year I'm hoping to get in on the early bite and follow it down the river. I'm also hoping to lay off the Bottom Bouncers a bit and do more pitching and jigging.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I also, would like to try jigging raps. Picked up a few last fall. If that don't work, beer and BB's have always treated me well.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to practice more with leadcore. I've used it for suspended fish in MN but never structure fishing in ND. With the new boat I'd like to venture to some other lakes and partake in a few charity events as a captain this year. Also working on a possible fishing tournament with a Veteran Organization but don't think it's happening this year.

Shoot less geese and catch more walleyes this fall too.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get in more trips to Sak in October. Also, concentrate on some shallow water fishing on the lake. 10' and under. That is an area of the water column I struggle to catch fish in on Sak.

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me it seems like everyone is against BB fishing. Why is this. It's a proven system on the Missouri River and produces fish every year. I fish sak on a weekly basis. And have cough fish many different ways and BB fishing is as fun as any. IMO

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Learn more of the Mighty Missourri channel without destroying my boat. Find some nice shallows and slack water in these new areas (hopefully with some walleye hanging out in them) and pitch jigs in them. As always I'm open to help on this! #$%^&>:cool:

Tight lines to everyone this year.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
how it feels to drag bottom bouncers

0A9C9696-005D-4DF9-A3FD-5D8045337898.jpg

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Diving into the AIM series for one. And 2 learning to fish shallower. Ive got the catching part down, but have some work to do on understanding bigger walleyes.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom bouncers fush.jpg are a nice relaxing time to catch nice fish.

- - - Updated - - -

what am i going to do this spring - i let the lake dictate it

1. try early for some moving water (hopefullyy this storm predict is corrrect) - then freeze my a off and go sit int he bar and brag

2. Then go gator huntting about middle of may as the walleyes wont bite; cleanup a bunch of big gators and fill the freezer for a fish fry

3. Finally getting some waldos toward end of may up nort find some warm water

4. Watch the wind and storms in June blow a guy off the water

5. Drive from Devils to Sak to fish end of june if that makes any sense - yes - it does - bring back the fish and clean em at the cleaning station in DL and get some bstrds heart going over keeping to big of fish

6. I like Pelly fishing early july

7. Finally ---- the best part begin bottom bouncing end of June and beginning of July

8. End of July / August - record number of fish days on "Bottom Bouncers". Watch the parking lots shrink to next to nothing

9. Sept/Oct - best time of year - still using bottom bouncers but jiggen and losing $$$$ lots of those expensive jig raps too.

I am going to troll those old weedbeds from the 90s this year by minne --- just for old times sake -- you never know.

dats it folks. Hope to see you on the water this year. I can wait. #$%^&>

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just want to get out. I will be attempting to figure out more of Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River. I'm a jig rapping fool so plenty of that. Also, I'm gonna target some dinosaurs...hello 70 incher?!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 12
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5