Wyoming resident shed hunting head start?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe $10 if you find a buyer in SD after they refuse half of them.

My concern is some lady finds a shed, sells it for $700 and then feels no one else should do this and tries to get that the law.
And then others jump on this bandwagon. All kinds of new rules because i cannot think for myself and do what they feel i should do. Need the gov. to make those decisions for me. It is all about the deer with no consideration for anything or anybody else. Yes, i love the deer and need to consider the deer's feeling but also mine to. But i guess we cannot police ourselves.
And screw the coyote's feeling if you want to protect them.

And poof it is gone for me and my family over a horn laying on the ground. I am sure what is next will be cameras which have been ban in places because someone who, has no idea of the joy a camera brings wants them ban and for their own hidden, personal agenda. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure if any sheds could be found or if any human could walk in snow that deep. So please work on WY and leave my shed hunting alone up here and in Canada. I will assume you are not doing that.

Not to be a butthead and i can see the problem. There will be no sheds found in snow that deep or any human walking. So, ban shed hunting until the deer have moved back and snow is gone be it August or whatever. There has to be solutions without banning it. db

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe $10 if you find a buyer in SD after they refuse half of them.

My concern is some lady finds a shed, sells it for $700 and then feels no one else should do this and tries to get that the law.
And then others jump on this bandwagon. All kinds of new rules because i cannot think for myself and do what they feel i should do. Need the gov. to make those decisions for me. It is all about the deer with no consideration for anything or anybody else. Yes, i love the deer and need to consider the deer's feeling but also mine to. But i guess we cannot police ourselves.
And screw the coyote's feeling if you want to protect them.

And poof it is gone for me and my family over a horn laying on the ground. I am sure what is next will be cameras which have been ban in places because someone who, has no idea of the joy a camera brings wants them ban and for their own hidden, personal agenda. db
You are trying to blanket everything you have to be able to comprehend that different regions need to be treated differently . Going in and pushing thousands of animals is not a comparison to walking in the woods and bumping 10 whitetails. No one is considering the feelings of anything common sense says if we still want to have mule deer to hunt you cant be killing or making the does abort in the spring.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if any sheds could be found or if any human could walk in snow that deep. So please work on WY and leave my shed hunting alone up here and in Canada. I will assume you are not doing that.

Ok, not to be a butthead and i can see the problem but it is not shed hunting in snow the way you show out there but fix that problem out there and ban all shed hunting out there. db
NO one has said anything about canada not one word nothing not at all. The thread is Wyoming the only person to bring up canada was you.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok, kings x. I see the concern, sorry for bring up Canada and the joys i have in my small world of shed hunting. Hope they find their solution. Just got all bent out over some lady pushing her world on me. Hope they keep it in WY. as i assume we both agree it is not a problem here. db

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kurt usuasually I agree wholeheartedly with most of your posts but this time I have to disagree, most of my shed hunting is in March or April, and for the most part the deer don't run off in fact you could pretty much count coup on most of them as they have forgotten deer season. At least that has been my personable experience for the last 25 or so years
I dont know where you shed hunt, but where I go there just as wild as deer season. Right now there are over 200 deer in that herd. I can glass them from the road and there fine. If I was to walk out there they would be gone.

I agree with Kurt about putting undo stress on animals. I think it should be regulated as many people make lots of money off sheds and dont give two shits about running animals off.

Maybe charge them so much a pound when they come out of the field/

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To work on a solution together.

I believe it is regulated to some degree out there. Shed hunting is allow after the deer have moved to their summer ground, snow is gone and then restricted to the winter ground where deer should be less as they have moved. No/yes.
I would hope the harassment of deer for sheds or whatever is little up here. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It looks like no fun for me either.

Did read some articles on the internet on shed hunting in Wy.
Reg. state no shed hunting before May 1 on public land. Appears they are working on things with the deer welfare as first consideration. This includes restricting non-residents at first, stated most hunters are non-residents. Feel this will cut down on outsiders. Fees for non-residents. Hope it does not need to come to this here.
But for me, not to ban shed hunting but to protect the deer from abuse and balance the deer welfare with the joy of shed hunting.
Should have known the people of Wy. would handle this. db

Last edited:

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I stated I wait til march or April after the snow melts, and shed in the local area. And around here they are fairly tame ,there is a herd of about ten or fifteen in my neighborhood every night and they are not skittish at all

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As it got warm the deer are now eating in the open fields. Not sure what they eat in the dirt but maybe the bug from CWD. However, the sheds we found have been on the hay piles as we bring new feed up.

Yesterday the deer were in the field by the plot and as we drop bales off, the deer never moved from there spots around 150-300 yards out and were still there when we left. It is really hard to find sheds until the snow melts and it appears the deer have no concern about us.

Have not been to Wy. but it appears a whole different picture than what i have experience.

So same for me pointer, except i have considerably more deer than 10-15. db

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Utah just shut it down for a while if you want to see the social media shed influencers flipping shit it pretty funny reading the coments
utah.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit! till the end of April LOL. Where they griping out it? Website link?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit! till the end of April LOL. Where they griping out it? Website link?
utahdwr insta. Hell i know people who have road sleds till july. They have snow stay way longer than we do.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind folks that Wyoming has had CWD for over 25 years and their deer and elk herds have been so decimated by it, that THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE FLOCK THERE TO PICK UP SHED ANTLERS and to protect the paltry few deer and elk survivors, they have to shut down shed hunting to non residents!!!!!! Something to ponder. Carry on.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind folks that Wyoming has had CWD for over 25 years and their deer and elk herds have been so decimated by it, that THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE FLOCK THERE TO PICK UP SHED ANTLERS and to protect the paltry few deer and elk survivors, they have to shut down shed hunting to non residents!!!!!! Something to ponder. Carry on.
Funny people don’t think about elk when it comes to CWD even with booming elk herds in CWD areas with suffering deer populations. CWD isn’t the reason why deer are struggling, mountain lions are the bigger problem. Both animals hang out in the same areas so both are exposed to the same CWD.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One of the guys in our group try the drone and it did not work. Was abandon. Could not see them laying on the ground.
In order to find sheds with success the snow needs to be all gone and one needs to walk and walk and then walk some more and there needs to be deer that have winter in the area. Coyotes like to collect to. And did i say walk, walk, walk. If they hold up in your town late winter which is not uncommon it makes it a little easier except you will compete with the town.

They are not just laying out in the open everywhere and just like deer hunting was for me at first in the 60s one can walk for hours and even days and not find one. Scouting and homework will help just like any kind of hunting. Will admit a train dog does wonders just like a bird dog will. Problem with a dog up north is the wolves.

But all in all, for me it is a great past time with friends and family be it here on the home base or elsewhere.
Just hope people use common sense when doing, leave the ATV park and respect the deer. Walk.

After doing this since 1995 i fail to see $60,000 being made unless they are buying/selling/trading and not looking and finding. Close to thirty years and a few thousand sheds, if we had sold, we would be nowhere close to that number. db

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't you just cruise around on a 4-wheeler? Seems like I could spot sheds pretty easily that way?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure but depending on where you're at may not find as many or all the sheds. Cover a lot more land that way. I have seen 4x4 tracks were i walk so some do it that way. 4x4 cannot go everywhere.

I feel the point that some are trying to make is what is fair, right, ethical and provide the less stress on the deer.
And then someone who is high on no shed hunting or even trail cameras may say why not cruise around on the 4x4 when deer hunting with a weapon.

However, not sure what the rules of going off trail are, and someone will say you cannot drive off trail.

I prefer to stay out of that discussion and try to shed hunt on land that i know i will only be the one there. Walking is enjoyable but gets old by days end when you're in your late 70.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12