Body work, for vehicles you chumps!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pickup that has two small (1-3 inch) spots on the box that the paint has bubbled off. I was curious about rough estimates for getting something like that touched up, does it require the whole box to be re-sprayed, and if so what I should be expecting for financial hits. Ford seems to have used galvanized sheet metal, so the rust isn't that bad...yet.

Note, this a white, 6.5 ft bed where the rest of the paint is in as good of shape as you could expect for a nearly 9 yr old truck.

I figure one of you have to be an auto body guy on here.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are both spots on the same side? Seems most minor body work ends up $500. A well placed NDA sticker would be much cheaper and give your truck that custom feel.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
bondo to fill in any pits and a rattle can of primer and white spray - about $25 or so.

In all seriousness, I have no idea. Haven't had any kind of body shop work done lately.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snap a couple pics. Yeah, to fix it right, the whole box side has tobe sprayed and the cap, stickers, moldings, tail light, bumper, etc. Have to be removed. What sux is there could be more spots lime that which havnt bubbled up yet, nd could come out after you get those two fixed.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm driving the wrong vehicle to snap pics of them today, but yes...one is on driver's side and the other is on the passenger.

I suspect that it will snowball rapidly in price if the whole box has to be sprayed. It's got the chrome wheel well beauty rings, and every time I've ever seen one of them get pulled off there's more rust underneath that would need to be addressed. The two spots are far enough (I think) away from the wheel wells. One is above and the other is in front of a well.

Mostly I was just curious about ballpark costs, I too haven't had to have any body/paint work done in a really long time. So I'm a bit out of touch with costs nowadays.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ballpark is probly 1400-1700 for both sides painted

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
body shops give free estimates and probably a whole lot more accurate

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
body shops give free estimates and probably a whole lot more accurate

Yeah, I just didn't want to tip over when they gave me numbers as back in the day I would have guessed around $500-600 (like I said, it's been a while since I've had work done). And while I've been tossing around getting it fixed for a while, I just put this up as a whim when the thought hit me and I kinda figured I was clueless as to going rates.

Thanks, MSA...now I won't grimace as much when I finally get an estimate.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear you I operate a repair shop and bills exceeding 2k are pretty common.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do a lot of bodywork in the winter and almost 100% of the time if you have a bubble it's a hole all the way through the panel. Did the paint peel off and you you can see the primer underneath or does it look like a bubble under the color/base coat? If it were mine and I cared about it I'd shoot both boxsides and blend it at the middle point of the rear door otherwise you'll have a different colored box. Believe it or not white is the hardest color to match especially when it's 9 years old but it's the easiest color to hide shit too. There's a reason a lot of square body chevy's get a two tone paint job with white on the bottom.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about costs for Rhino/Line-X etc along the ticker panels and up around both wheel-wells? Crew-cab, 6.75’ box.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
thumbnail

thumbnail

The two offending paint defects. No holes, that I am sure of. The paint seemed to me to be defective from the factory in that it split/cracked when the truck was about 4 years old. Yeah...I know, I was just pissed when it happened for seemingly no reason. But hey, it's not "rusted through" which is what I believe the warranty states.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about costs for Rhino/Line-X etc along the ticker panels and up around both wheel-wells? Crew-cab, 6.75’ box.

Scuff it with a white or red scotch brite pad and shoot it yourself with a raptor liner kit for 120.00, it's tintable so you could get it close or pay 1000.00 for those guys from Line-X do it for you. If you can run a sanding block and a roll of masking tape you can run a shutz gun and hose raptor liner on.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very common for white fords in that body style to start peeling. Eventually the whole panel will go.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82