Triton Fishunter 216 vs. Ranger FS 621

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to get a different boat this year. Anyone fish out of a Triton fishunter before? They pretty much look identical to a ranger. Just wondering why you see more rangers on the water than tritons. Was hoping someone with first hand fishing experience in a triton would be able to give me some pros and cons. Thanks

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
go to devils lake and take a test ride inn both tommarro also while your there take a pic of the hole in the hwy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a ride in a new big Yar craft as well. Lots of nice boats out there to choose from, the new Yars are nothing like the older ones that's for sure since Bass Cat started building them. Fished out of a newer 621 with a 300 last week in a tourney. It was a complete dog compared to my partners 219 Yar craft. 12 mph slower to be exact.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love Rangers quality and ride, etc. But it's not laid out well for the type of fishing I do. The Triton is basically the same. The Yarcraft is laid out much better for my needs. So I would look at them all based on how you fish. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a ride in a new big Yar craft as well. Lots of nice boats out there to choose from, the new Yars are nothing like the older ones that's for sure since Bass Cat started building them. Fished out of a newer 621 with a 300 last week in a tourney. It was a complete dog compared to my partners 219 Yar craft. 12 mph slower to be exact.

12 MPH! Holey crap that is a turd. I could take you for a 60+ mph 2 man ride in mine. 2 dudes with a fair amount of fuel usually runs around 61 mph give or take 1.5 mph depending on chop. Your buddy needs to do some tuning.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, 54 was all it would do and I was driving it. Great ride and fishability thou for sure.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How would you compare that ranger to your skeeter 5575? Although there is a size difference between yours and the ranger.

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I like most about the big rangers is how you can fish out of them when things get rough. With my skeeter the trolling motor is out of the water allot even with the 80" shaft. Then you look over and the guy in the ranger is just sitting there fishing barely bobbing around. And after fishing out of a couple rangers it is indeed much better to fish out of with those heavy front ends.
But those boats also cost twice as much as what I fish out of it seems.
After fishing this summer thou out of my partners 219 Yar craft with the 350 it would be hard to not buy one if I was in the new boat market. For fishing on big bodies of water that is. It sure is nice to be able to get up and run on the rough stuff. And I'm not going to lie, being able to go as fast as a car on the lake is pretty damn nice as well. :)

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new Nitro ZV21's are pretty nice as well. Powerman, you are going to have to swing over to my camp at the DWC in 2016 and check out mine.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will have to do that. I peeked in one at the women's tourney up at white earth in august. Not sure who's boat it was. Looked like it had a really nice layout. I have never been a big fan of the side boxes in the back of these boats, but. The nitro doesn't seem to come in as far. Still seemed like plenty of room. As a strictly tournament boat the boxes on the 216, rangers, and z 21 allow an amazing amount of storage in those compartments and provides a nice deck in the back as well. Nice boats for sure, but with a young family the layout of my wx 2100 fits exactly what I need for now;) Good luck with the new boat!

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree with 5575 on the bow bouncing in rough water on the Skeeter's. It is kind of a pain, but also tried back trolling in mine and seemed to work really well. Only every 5 wave or so splashed in onto my feet. I can't bring myself to put wave Wacker's on it though.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is what I noticed while fishing in rangers also is how well they stay stable in big waves allowing you to use your bow mount. With the Nitro it looks like the bow stays a bit more higher out of the water when fishing. I wonder if the wind blows them around more. Sounds like tritons don't handle big waves as well as rangers but not sure that is just what a few guys have said.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can say some disagreement. I fished with a buddy in his 621 Fisherman. I believe he paid $70,000 in 2013 for his boat and in June 2014 we were fishing in Van Hook on a windy day. He was taking on water over the bow when trolling and it was frustrating him. He wanted a different boat right then and there! He asked about my Skeeter, and while I know they bob some I've never had water flowing over my front and into the carpet.

I explained it to Dave that he already has one of the top three boats on the market. His boat has everything you can imagine (coming from someone who has 1/2 of that, of course!). I said he might was to try a Yarcraft, but didn't think he would feel any better about the transaction in the long run.

So, I offered to him right then..... sell me the Ranger for $20k and I'd give him my Skeeter 1850 to boot.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait until BassCat puts their touches on the 209 and 219 YarCraft... If you look at the big tiller improvements that came out this year they finally have paid attention to the "little" things Ranger has been doing for quite awhile. I was going to get rid of my 2014 209 and get another one or a Ranger (have had 1 in the past) but will wait untli the 209/219 have been retooled by BassCat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82