Can you stock turkeys on private land?

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hypothetical question: can you stock Eastern wild turkeys on private land? Have two large stands of trees with a ton of tall grass. Since only grouse take residence (come on pheasants, "build habitat and they will come" my a**), can you buy turkeys and drop them out in the woods? Lots of agriculture spill and waste for food. Tons of coulees near by too. Quick Google search hasn't shown anything for ND.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not positive but I believe you have to secure permission from all surrounding landowners in the area as a lot of farmers/ranchers see them as a nuisance

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess all the land owners around will hate u for life. Turkeys are fun to hunt and good to eat. But they shit on everything.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not certain but I don't think the Easterns are what is here in ND. Think you would do better with Merriams. In any case, be careful what you wish for with turkeys. Never met a landowner that likes having them.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have Easterns on this side of the river. I have seen a few Marriams over this way as well but not many.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know what? This is America. Just do it. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say in order to do it you would have to basically follow the same rules anyone who is raising and releasing pheasants would have to follow. You'd probably need permits and would have to mark the birds in some way.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why the hell would you want them shit and scratch on everything pain in the asses to begin with?, unless you're gonna use them as decoys for coyote hunting;:;badidea:;:rockit

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about trapping them from an area that has to many and relocating them?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last winter we had over 100 turkeys hanging around. The ground was solid tracks and shit. Game and Fish came in and netted 75 in one shot. No idea where they were released at but it can't be too far away. They multiply like rabbits.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last winter we had over 100 turkeys hanging around. The ground was solid tracks and shit. Game and Fish came in and netted 75 in one shot. No idea where they were released at but it can't be too far away. They multiply like rabbits.

More turkeys these days than sparrows in my country. They even eat the cat food from my pole barn.

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about trapping them from an area that has to many and relocating them?
I wish I knew of an area within 100 miles that had turkeys so I could hunt them. None hanging out at local ranches otherwise I wouldn't be asking for my own ag land.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wasn't kidding.... I'm pretty sure if I'm remembering correctly I was talking to a guy who wanted turkeys. He asked the national wild turkey federation if he felt he had the appropriate habitat what he could do to get turkeys established and they said if habitat was right and they inhabited the surrounding area they would show up and if not you needed the permission of the surrounding land owners to bring them in but you can double check that with the game and fish

Marksman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes

Hypothetical question: can you stock Eastern wild turkeys on private land? Have two large stands of trees with a ton of tall grass. Since only grouse take residence (come on pheasants, "build habitat and they will come" my a**), can you buy turkeys and drop them out in the woods? Lots of agriculture spill and waste for food. Tons of coulees near by too. Quick Google search hasn't shown anything for ND.
In 1998 I help the game and fish trap and release 220 turkeys to the kenmare area used 6 different locations all within 10 miles if kenmare the majority wer releases on or near the des lacs refuge. There was no season for 4 yrs. there was only one complaint from one rancher who has cattle next to the refuge. The population has increased 4 fold despite the out of season harvester
did put out feeders the first year. It was late fall when we released all the birds

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82