Sharpening Hooks

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I was wondering if you guys replace or sharpen your treble hooks? Also which technique or device do you use to sharpen your hooks.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
images.jpg

i have one of these (know clue where i got it) use it summer and winter to occasionally sharpen the points. (absolutely mandatory for gold or silver summer jigs, as the plating covers the hook). It has a V groove in it that makes it pretty easy and quick.

most times i loose lures WAY before the hooks need sharpening. I see Rapala has many offerings for sharpeners.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats the same sharpener i have wags! I constantly sharpen hooks especially while pitching jigs. That sharpener wags also works for sharpening serrated blades.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I replace. It's easier and reliable. I touch up the "big stuff" with a Smith's pocket hone. It's sad, but there comes a point where that spinnerbait is trash or barbless. Usually the wire fails before this point after multiple skirt and trailer hook changes. I'd be a sad man if I had to trash a Cowgirl. Damn sure would save the blades.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of the pocket type sharpeners with the V-groove work good for this. I look over all my hooks at the start of each year. Simple to do and provides just a small bit of reassurance in my mind.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about stinger hooks, does anyone make their own setups. I had some success with the stinger but was wondering if anyone else makes any custom.
Here is a picture
IMG_0902.jpg
Also does anyone attach wire split rings and barrel swivel to your jigging spoons, I have bought some spoons with the split ring and barrel swivel.

6mm-50-pcs-Stainless-Steel-Split-Rings-for-Blank-Lures-Crankbait-Hard-Bait-Fresh-Water-Shallow.j.jpg

81fa626500b702951f69a474c247488b.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18