Fisherman dies of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
CO-decal_gif_475x310_q85.jpg

Carbon Monoxide PoisonWALKER, Minn. (AP) - Authorities say a man died after apparently suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning in an ice fishing house on Leech Lake.
Emergency responders and deputies found one man dead and three others sick in the fish house on Walker Bay on Sunday afternoon.
Sheriff Tom Burch says the fish house was a converted camper trailer, and the initial investigation indicates that the propane heaters in the shelter were not ventilated.
One of the surviving men was taken to a Park Rapids hospital, then transferred to a Twin Cities hospital, while the two others were treated at the scene.
Names of the men have not yet been released because family members are still being notified. An autopsy is scheduled for the man who died.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very sad deal prayers to the families. Carbon monoxide detectors should be in any house that a person plans on sleeping in.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
So much garbage in this life and now this. Common Sense ain't common. Good Lord in Heaven.

My ex always got pissed as all things with me boiled down to firearms and fishing. She used to REALLY get torqued when the "discussion" boiled down to a levergun. Always, know the danger. Anyways, don't cut off your oxygen; that's bad. Ask Brad Delp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CklrHh2q6J4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3sPI7xyCfQ

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tragic!! That would make 4 lives messed up. The surviving 3 will always play the coulda, shoulda, but didn't game for a very long time to come. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to add a story of how I almost messed up big time. About 20 years ago, I was on a little lake all to myself sitting in my Clam Jr. (the 4'x6') suitcase. Had the propane heater fired up and the lantern was on as well. Having a couple cold ones and listening to tunes, I went to fire up a smoke. Dang I thought, my lighter is out of fluid. Jump out of the shack and head to the pickup to use the cigarette lighter. I just happen to flick the lighter again and it lights right up...weird I thought. Another hour and a half goes by and I go to light another smoke. Lighter won't light...that's when the light bulb went on in me head. I quickly opened the door and sure enough the lighter fires up on the first flick. I don't know how much oxygen is needed for a lighter to work, but I'm guessing I was getting pretty close to the danger zone. Needless to say, I always make sure there is ample ventilation in any house I'm in from now on.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to add a story of how I almost messed up big time. About 20 years ago, I was on a little lake all to myself sitting in my Clam Jr. (the 4'x6') suitcase. Had the propane heater fired up and the lantern was on as well. Having a couple cold ones and listening to tunes, I went to fire up a smoke. Dang I thought, my lighter is out of fluid. Jump out of the shack and head to the pickup to use the cigarette lighter. I just happen to flick the lighter again and it lights right up...weird I thought. Another hour and a half goes by and I go to light another smoke. Lighter won't light...that's when the light bulb went on in me head. I quickly opened the door and sure enough the lighter fires up on the first flick. I don't know how much oxygen is needed for a lighter to work, but I'm guessing I was getting pretty close to the danger zone. Needless to say, I always make sure there is ample ventilation in any house I'm in from now on.

Wow.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member

first time i have seen where smoking has saved a life!! If you weren't a smoker??????????

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I did almost the same thing in about 1990. I was on the James. Res. in a wooden fish house with a heater, lantern and for a while a cook stove going. The wind was blowing so I taped up a few gaps on the end walls yet. I don't know how close to death I was but I got a pretty good headache so decided to leave. The only thing I remember about the forty mile drive home was the headache getting worse and nausea. I don't know how I got home. I was damn sick for two days. Didn't realize at the time what was happening but I had to be damn close to dead. I didn't smoke but the lantern and heater were still burning. Be safe out there guys. I don't know if it will cause any health problems in the long term.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup I've zipped open the door before and the heater gets brighter from the fresh oxygen rushing in.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. Very bad deal. I havent had any CO close calls from propane, but have a similar story. I was by myself fishing for pike on Lake Sak on a really cold day a couple of years ago. I had tipups out and was sitting in the truck with the heat blasting listening to tunes and watching flags. Caught a decent fish right away and then was slow. After about an hour of no action I started to get really sleepy, like ready to take a nappy sleepy. Which was weird because I was all jacked up on coffee earlier. Luckily for me a flag went up and I hopped out of truck. After missing a fish and standing up and walking around for awhile tending tipups, a headache and nausea set in big time. Put two and two together and realized I had a hole in my exhaust system and I had fumes getting into truck somehow. Probably a combination of wind and the fact that it was a rusted up chevy. Never really noticed a smell of exhaust because I had a half ass cold. All I know is I am glad I did not fall asleep. Bad news bears. Be safe out there and if something doesnt seem right, it probably isn't! Trust your instincts!

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else get the creeps about Delp's fiancee smiling in the mugshot?...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fully vented forced air furnaces eat more propane and require a charged battery, but they are better than dying.

I had my portable packed in super tight with my Big buddy blazing one time. It went out for no reason so I lit it up again. It popped off again a couple minutes later. Light bulb went off that it was low oxygen. Dug a hole under the flap for air and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the heads up Big Buddy.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fully vented forced air furnaces eat more propane and require a charged battery, but they are better than dying.

I had my portable packed in super tight with my Big buddy blazing one time. It went out for no reason so I lit it up again. It popped off again a couple minutes later. Light bulb went off that it was low oxygen. Dug a hole under the flap for air and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the heads up Big Buddy.

Wonder how many that low O2 sensor in the Big Buddy has saved. Mine kicked out on Saturday too.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad deal, but its a good heads up for the rest of us that be out in fish houses..beware gentlemen and be safe

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
As bad as the situation is, it's even worse if we don't learn from it. Battery powered CO detectors can be had for cheap. Not a bad idea to have one if your are doing overnights in an icehouse.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 170
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80