Perch eyes as bait

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello all. I have always heard that perch eyes are a good bait, but I could not find (didnt look terribly hard) if they are legal to use or not. Figured I would ask.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes they are legal. They are my favorite bait to use. Stay on the hook well. Thats one thing I don't like about minnow heads u get a bite and miss u have to reel up and check it with an eye u just drop it back down. I usually catch about 20 perch per eye until I change it cause it has lost all its juice. I have even had great luck using them under a buck shot fishing for walleyes.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Yellow perch eyes, and trout and salmon eggs are legal bait. The use of other game fish or parts thereof is illegal."

This was taken from the game and fish website.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never used trout. I'll bet they'd be hell in the tailrace.

th

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah Jason Mitchell used them in a show a few years ago and a bunch of people called faul so that forced the game and fish to directly address if it was legal or not and thus the blurb marbleyes posted.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah Jason Mitchell used them in a show a few years ago and a bunch of people called faul so that forced the game and fish to directly address if it was legal or not and thus the blurb marbleyes posted.

Not exactly. They used to use live perch as bait for northern pike. That's been illegal for many years.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not exactly. They used to use live perch as bait for northern pike. That's been illegal for many years.

Yeah that right thanks. Knew it was perch....mind you I wish we could use them in the lake we are fishing but way to hard to monitor for the game and fish I'm sure!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82