Homemade catfish bait

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://castaholics.com/8-best-catfish-dough-bait-recipes-for-fishing/
This article brings up some great memories of yesteryear fishing for catfish on the red river in grand forks below the river side dam.
When I was a kid i use to spend my summers in grand forks with my grand parents were I would spend most days in the riverside park either at the pool or the riverside dam. There was a family of Mexicans who would fish down by the dam most evenings using homemade catfish bait out of chicken guts and corn flakes. They would butcher chickens and save the guts to make bait, they would dump the chicken guts and a box of corn flakes into a pail and mash everythig together. Then they would roll the mash up into 3/4 to 1 inch balls place them on aluminum foil to dry out in the hot sun. They would use heavy mono line with a big hook and a 1 Oz lead weight, they would throw out the hook with the bait for about 15 to 20 minutes ish, then they would pull the line in and put another ball on. They would keep doing this until the cats would come in to feed, it was like fishing for white bass just pure chaos until they would catch their limits. I never forgot that because it was so different then the way most people fished for cats but they said that it was more common of a way to catch cats down south were other baits were not so readily available you always could find dead animals or chickens if you needed some catfish bait.
I forgot to mention this was during the 87 88 when north dakota was going thru a drought cycle so the red was very low.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A very cheap/easy/effective bait is a dough made from Doritos and beer. Also works well on put and take trout.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 3D printer and have been toying with the idea of a dough bait cage that opens, push dough inside, close the door. Feed the line through and have a trailer hook.

Probably should try jigging for them first though!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^Texas rigged worm...

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah most people who fish for catfish use cut bait like goldeneye, frogs, water dogs, or suckers as their go to. To see the use of homemade bait was something that stuck with me for all these years, back then there was surprisingly more seasonal workers who fished the red back then mainly because farmers didn't use chemicals to treat their crops like they use now. One reason why i never tried to make my own bait is because I always thought it was illegal because the balls don't stay together and dissolve in the current which I believe to be called chumming. But I when i fished the cat fish tournament I asked the guys who ran the tournament that and they said no its not considered chumming. But did say they never heard of anyone making homemade bait balls for catching cats just the garden variety baits like I posted above.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the regs: "It is illegal to introduce anything into waters of the state for the purpose of attempting to attract fish (e.g. chumming, artificial light, acoustic equipment, etc.) that is not attached or applied to a lure"

I suppose it is the hook that sets it apart from chumming.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the regs: "It is illegal to introduce anything into waters of the state for the purpose of attempting to attract fish (e.g. chumming, artificial light, acoustic equipment, etc.) that is not attached or applied to a lure"

Correct

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet the live imaging that has come out has really changed the game in finding cats in the red @Captainbrad. I wonder if he has ever tried using homemade bait balls

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah most people who fish for catfish use cut bait like goldeneye, frogs, water dogs, or suckers as their go to. To see the use of homemade bait was something that stuck with me for all these years, back then there was surprisingly more seasonal workers who fished the red back then mainly because farmers didn't use chemicals to treat their crops like they use now. One reason why i never tried to make my own bait is because I always thought it was illegal because the balls don't stay together and dissolve in the current which I believe to be called chumming. But I when i fished the cat fish tournament I asked the guys who ran the tournament that and they said no its not considered chumming. But did say they never heard of anyone making homemade bait balls for catching cats just the garden variety baits like I posted above.
If you get the beer/Dorito mixture right you can't slap it off the hook in the water. It will last long enough to logically cast in a different area. It's important not to totally bury the hook point.

I double a gallon Ziplock bag, crush the chips into a coarse powder, gradually add beer and knead. It doesn't have a long shelf life so don't make huge batches unless you want to freeze. Never tried that.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet the live imaging that has come out has really changed the game in finding cats in the red @Captainbrad. I wonder if he has ever tried using homemade bait balls
I am waiting on MEGA LIVE to add to the boat I just bought. I have heard a couple way people are using it and I have some other ideas as to how to use it. (everyone please buy the stuff I have for sale so I can afford all this.)

As for bait balls I tend to not get to involved with "made" baits vs natural baits.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I had never actually read that section of the rule book. Huh, the outfit I commercial fished for occasionally used grain as an attractant for carp.

Not that I'd use grains to attract carp nowadays, but it worked well. Hint, hint you bowanglers.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had never actually read that section of the rule book. Huh, the outfit I commercial fished for occasionally used grain as an attractant for carp.

Not that I'd use grains to attract carp nowadays, but it worked well. Hint, hint you bowanglers.
You forgot to include the secret recipe......

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am waiting on MEGA LIVE to add to the boat I just bought. I have heard a couple way people are using it and I have some other ideas as to how to use it. (everyone please buy the stuff I have for sale so I can afford all this.)

As for bait balls I tend to not get to involved with "made" baits vs natural baits.
Texas rigged plastic worms for bored clients...Damn glad to see your post!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80