Couple Spinner rig ???

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to make spinner rigs for the first time and had a couple questions.

What would you recommend for a hook? Planning on using slo death hooks on some.

Do the little coiled steel quick change clevises work better than the white plastic ones?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only issue I've ever had w/plastic quick change clevis is if you leave them in the sun a bunch they can get brittle and break when you're trying to add/switch blades.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually use plastic, no issues. A pike will usually prevent mine from ever becoming old enough to go brittle. Would be interested in the metal, don't think I have seen them. Anybody use 2 blades? Used double willows on Erie quite a bit but would think with the pike here it be like pike crack.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use both the plastic quick change and the metal non change. I find the standard metal clevis spins better at slower speeds, so I like to mix it up when making spinners. I generally use a #2 octopus hook, and will tie up both single and double hook snells.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I only use the metal ones.

I never use spinners ahead of slow-death's. It seems as if hey counteract each other. (the spins of them)

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
The metal clevis will spin easier. I wouldn't put a slow death hook on a spinner rig, you could end up with a tangled mess under the water. Slow death hook should be on a leader with an optional bead only.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am far from a spinner guru but I tried the slow death with spinner and never had a tangle but never had results with that combo, just never seemed to work good together. I did make them with the white clip on and just removed the blade and it was like having a white bead, then if I put a spinner on I just head hooked a minnow or plastic and that worked fine like that.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it easiest to tie them all in two hook forms for crawlers and if you need a one hook for minnows or leeches just trim off the extra hook. I have been using heavier line (14-20lb) the last couple years and it seems to help with keeping the line from becoming a twisted mess especially with slow death hooks.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gamakatsu hooks are the only one I use, they seem to be the sharpest.
Quick change clevis on 90% of my spinners, unless trolling slow, then the metal ones spin easier.

I could just as well use hammered gold all the time as that seems to be my primary on Sakakawea.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always use metal. I make a lot, but the gamakatsu hooks seem to have a better hook ratio.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinners and slow deaths are separate and should be treated as such. I found it to be a much easier process if the end of a slow death has a swivel attached. I have about half tied up with/without a bead. I had really good luck with slow deaths last year and I attribute that to the swivel. Spinners can be done in all shapes and sizes. I usually run plastic clevises but I find myself rarely changing out blades so I'm pondering going back to metal. As MM stated, they spin easier at slower speeds. I typically tie mine about 4 feet long. This allows for plenty of adjustment.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was planning on putting a barrel swivel instead of a loop on all the rigs I make.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never tried these slow death rigs. Are they really that great? I mostly fish DL and LOW. any experience on those lakes specifically?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They work well, and there are days spinners work better and vice versa. Its just another option. I wish they had better BARBS! I've bought some similar hooks but haven't tested out how well they spin. One thing to remember is if you get a bite, check your worm, its probably not spinning right.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes the barbs on the SD hooks are terrible, trying to get the worm to stay in a forward position on them is difficult.

Smallies can make short order of bait these last few years too, making the need for about a gross of crawlers on every outing.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a palomar knot to the hook and always leave a tag end. Feed the worm on the hook, past the tag end. This will help hold the crawler in place during short bites and little schools of perch.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82