Elk meat help, Recipes...

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother and I were lucky enough to leave Colorado with a cow elk this year and I need some ideas for the meat. We have been using the burger for anything and everything at home and that is great. I have tried steaks a couple times with little success. First cook was chops on the grill and I went super simple. Medium rare at the most with a little salt and pepper - terrible. Very irony and not near as tender as I remember. Second steak attempt was marinated chops and the result was a little better, but not what I would call good. Obviously, I know meat will vary animal to animal, but this is about the worst I have had. Super strong iron flavor and pretty tough all around. Due to conditions, we were not able to let meat hang for more than 12 hours before it went to the processor who let it hang in the cooler for a day before cutting. Meat was well cared for on the mountain and the gutless method was successful. Any advice, tips or tricks would be much appreciated. Way too much work went into getting this animal for it not to be enjoyed at home. Thanks fellas.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
As you said, meat varies so much from one animal to the next. In your two attempts at cooking it like you did, if it's not good, it's not gonna get good. Your only other option is to go low and slow for shredded meat, stewed meat, chili, etc; and masking the flavor with sauces and spices. Canning is another option. I've never done it though.

I've basically started grinding everything except the hearts and tenderloins because I've also been disappointed more than once in going through the work of cleaning, cutting and packaging chops/steaks, only to have them turn out as crap....And I like beef steak better.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might help to pound (tenderize) the steaks first then marinade. Not sure. As far as flavor goes might be outta luck like Whisky said

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not all marinades are created equal either. Soaking for 3-4 days in a marinade containing vinegar will have a much greater impact than a quick soak in something lacking acidity.

Medium rare is overdone for wild game. Cook to rare, verging on raw in the middle. Let rest before slicing thinly across the grain.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any idea on how old the cow was cause that makes a huge difference on how its going to taste. I have shot a half dozen cows and as long as they were under 3 years old they were good, a hunting partner got one that I figured was 6 years old cause her teeth were really ground down and no matter what you did to the steaks and roasts they were crap. Ended up grinding everything into burger and sausage. LB

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only keep the backstraps and tenderloins out. The rest gets ground or turned into jerky.
Soak in water + lemon juice (or something acidic) a few days in the fridge to pull the blood / strong flavor out.
I went to doing Sous Vide for any kind of "chop" or "steak", then sear on a really hot grill or cast-iron pan. Sous Vide keeps it really tender and juicy.

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had more manure smelling Elk when being cook than good tasting elk. Bulls shot in the rutted or a week or two before and after the rut, you run a good chance of the manure taste and smell. Cows for the most part are good tasting.

I cook then the same as beef, steaks, burger and roast. Lots of stir fry with scrap meat.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take batches of it to S&K in Minot for hot sticks and jerky. Their hot sticks w/string cheese and beer is a fine meal: Include a raw baby carrot for health and vigor. Also have had many a meal with their jerky and beer. Don't bother with the cheese or carrot when eating the jerky.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
The irony you speak of would not be due to some extra lead fed to make it weigh more than it actually did? :oops:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
S&K is "expensive" but well worth the motivation to hunt for meat and passing on marginal bucks.

Back in the day back in the Hills you could only shoot bucks with a gun. You'd bust your ass all day to see 30 does and the first little 3pt running with the heard during orange season was a trophy. Lot's of loud drives, lots of Rem 740's with dumbass "see through" scope mounts barking and lots of "incidental" kills; leaving the carcass in the woods sans backstraps and hams. It's not like this anymore.

One of the reasons I first fell in love with ND was the legality and "ease" of waxing does. I have no problem popping fawns. They make great hotsticks and jerky. ND laws are superior to WV except for the use of rifles for the most part: This year the .17 HMR is illegal for turkey. This is retarded.

That is all.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The irony you speak of would not be due to some extra lead fed to make it weigh more than it actually did? :oops:
:alien: IDK. S&K has always done a fine job of final processing. Blom's has been a godsend for a late season basic processing of a doe. I like SK hotsticks and jerky. Never had Blom's.

Anyways, IMHO H4F should do hotsticks and jerky.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A day-long soak in olive oil w/some rosemary and/or thyme sprigs then grill like beef.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84