Sak Van Hook 6-16 and 6-18

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welp, Friday was a GREAT day on the water! We hit the Van Hook arm of Lake Sakakawea. The day started out a bit slow, but after making a quick move the action was on. We found our fish in about 14' of water around a few submerged islands. Fish size ranges from 15" - 23" with Collin nabbing the big fish of the day. Crawlers are what worked the best for us, but with 30 boats around us and nets flying at all times , I'd bet that leeches and minnows were being used by some as well.
The rigs that worked best for us are these two linked below!
https://www.legendarytacklecompany.com/.../death-rig-9/9...
https://www.legendarytacklecompany.com/.../death.../44...

Today was another stellar day out in Van Hook! When we headed out this morning there was ZERO wind so we knew we'd have to look a little deeper than Friday. We found em pretty quick in about 22' of water. We bounced around for about 2.5 hours in 18-22' to get our 15 plus a bonus catfish again. Crawlers behind a couple chartreuse beads and a chartreuse Back-T-Back blade outcaught everything else 3 to 1. Biggest one today was 22".

c1.jpg
c2.jpg
c3.jpg
c4.jpg
f1.jpg
a1.jpg
m1.jpg
0616231417001.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a lot of people keep catfish out of Sakakawea, but if you're looking for a good eating cat...there's no place better. Plus, if you target them they are damn plentiful on the river side of Sak. Sounds like you all had a good time!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Countdown Raps and shaky rigs if you don't want to destroy the Earth by trolling. Clip off the pecs and dorsal and fillet the cat like any other fish. I don't care what or where; red/belly meat is trimmed and discarded: Fish must be bled into ice and soaked in mild saltwater.

I'm rambling. That is all.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
We cleaned them just like a Walleye, except we trimmed around the ribcage instead of cutting through it. cleaned all the red/yellow meat off and directly into a pan of saltwater in the fridge for an overnight soak. I've had them out of Sak before and they are darn good eating. In the past we have done a beer batter and made fish sammiches with them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84