youth deer hunting

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am planning ahead for my nephew this falls deer hunting season. He is 15 right now and this is his first year of deer hunting. What I'm wanting to know is, if he applies for a mule deer tag and does not draw, can he still get the tag that's good for everywhere else in the state? We were thinking a mule deer tag for him because our family has hunted 3b1 for 20+ years and we know the area very well. But, there aren't a whole lot of tags available and I don't want him to miss out on a youth tag just because he couldn't draw the mule deer tag. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good question. I would call the G&F directly so you get it directly from the horse's mouth.

bjpederson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he does not get the mule deer tag, he will get his second choice which will be the whitetail as long as they do not change how it has been done in the past. My son was unsuccessful getting the mule deer tag and ended up with the whitetail.

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
  • Restrictions: Ages 11 (who qualify), 12 and 13 – antlerless white-tailed deer only. Ages 14 and 15 – any deer is legal, except antlerless mule deer in units 3B1, 3B2, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E and 4F. No unit restrictions, except in units 3B1, 3B2, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E and 4F, a special license is required to hunt antlered mule deer. Those possessing restricted antlered mule deer licenses may hunt only in their designated unit the entire season. Orange clothing required for youth hunters and mentors.
  • from nd game and fish if this is his first tag he should be able to hunt any unit in the state if he wants 3B1 he can only hunt that unit and not additional units
  • http://gf.nd.gov/regulations-hunting-fishing-etc/deer-guide-regulations

Last edited:

bjpederson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like your good to go in 3B1, I should have looked at the units. I just assumed you were wondering about the restricted units. Good Luck.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82