Pinching barbs on hooks

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently posted a picture of my favorite lure for Lake Winnipeg and had a couple comments regarding the appearance of barbs on my hooks.

Even if the comment was meant in fun I would like to reiterate that I try and fish by the rules at all times....no matter where I fish. Quite frankly, I don't want anyone thinking I'm a slob fisherman, as it couldn't be further from the truth.

So I went home at lunch and felt the hooks again, and although I did feel a couple areas where it was a little sharp, there was no biting or grabbing of my skin when I ran my thumb against the barb. I am quite confident a game warden would have no problem with the bait.

When I am pinching barbs I do not do it visually, instead I will pinch and then feel, and pinch again until it doesn't grab my skin.

I will admit that Live Targets do have the most difficult barb to pinch because the hooks are awesome quality. Jigging Raps are also quite hard, but they are brittle as well and you bust hooks on the Rapalas more than any other bait.

I have included pictures of a few new hooks without pinched barbs for comparison to the pinched Live Target hooks.

Sorry if this seems silly, particularly since 99.5% of you don't know me, but the implication was bothering me.

IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6936.jpg

IMG_6937.jpg

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as you put some effort into it and get em squeezed as much as you can, I don't think they'd say much. We got checked earlier this year up there and he had us reel up our lines and he rubbed his finger over it and said good to go. I had a couple on there that could have been borderline, I usually try to cheat a bit and leave a little bit of one to help hold the minnow on. I did hear that sometimes if they want to be dicks, they will run fishing line over the barb and if it catches, it's not pinched.

I'd say as long as you're not a dick to them, they'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I just keep a box of pinched lures that I use for up there. If I open a new one, it goes in the manitoba box. That way I don't have to worry about forgetting to pinch anything when I'm up there.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just effin with ya.

I know, and I'm not pissed or anything like that, but it did look like a big barb on the picture. I think comparing it to new barbs you can tell that's its actually quite small, and again, it felt fine to the touch. No worries, Sub_Elect.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never understood the pinched barb thing, and mine looks about like yours for up there, I squeezed them together with as much PSI as my weak grip could muster, and called it good.

I am sure they would be fine to the mounties, but might not pass the mustard too. Frankly I am indifferent and prefer to not replace the treble hooks with softer barbed ones, and just do the best I can.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never understood the pinched barb thing, and mine looks about like yours for up there, I squeezed them together with as much PSI as my weak grip could muster, and called it good.

I am sure they would be fine to the mounties, but might not pass the mustard too. Frankly I am indifferent and prefer to not replace the treble hooks with softer barbed ones, and just do the best I can.

I don't mind the pinched barbs. The way these fish inhale the baits there would be a lot of casualties with barbed hooks. Just this weekend my biggest fish had the bait so far down his throat he would have died for sure trying to get a barbed hook out. With barbless we got it out without even one drop of blood.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never look at the barbs, I looked at the lure and the marks on it wishing I was at the setting end as I thought back on my one trip up there so far back in 14. If the barbs are pinched enough in not for me to judge but for you to feel good about and the wardens opinion should you be checked. dukgnfsn

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've had them checked at at least 3 different sask lakes (2 trophy - tobin & last mtn) over the past 15 years and never had a problem...

i just squeeze each barb with a needle nose hard once...

just another tool in their bag if you're a dick...

scoop

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was just messing with ya! Don't take things to seriously. You are definitely not a slob fisherman just a fisherman with a weak grip. Haha:::

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82