Catfish Rod & Reel recommendations

RRmaniac

Established Member
I am planning on buying another catfish rod & reel for the Red. Any recommendations for length, # test, action, etc.#$%^&>

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know people that buy very heavy duty catfish gear but I like to fish with something that is good for many river fish (eyes, pike, cats and goldeye). I typically will use a shakespear or Uglystick with 20# test medium duty, cheap and works fine for everything I have found so far.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
we don't fish the Red much but at Sak for cats at night we use 7 to 10 foot heavy rods, mostly to get to a bit deeper water from shore but have straightened out a couple of 6/0 hooks on fish as well, never know what your gonna hook up with in the lake.

I used to fish the Missouri below Gavin's Point dam at Yankton and have seen some monster fish surface under the lights below the dam there, I figure their cousins are up here as well. I am relatively sure there are some humongous flatheads and blue cats in the lake.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to fish the Missouri below Gavin's Point dam at Yankton and have seen some monster fish surface under the lights below the dam there, I figure their cousins are up here as well. I am relatively sure there are some humongous flatheads and blue cats in the lake.

Is it possible they were paddlefish?
I have always been a big fan of a heavy duty rod paired with a bait caster for cats.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go with a Rippin Lips Medium or Medium Heavy. Both 7'6" They are a solid rod that costs about $40. I use the M most of the time and MH if I am in heavy current or using 5 or more ounces of weight. Reels get what you like. Personally, I like an Abu Garcia or Shimano baitcast. 30 pound line is the way to go in the Red.

Most people tend to buy heavy but something fitting to the Red and the fish makes everything work better and more fun.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
My best catfishing rod is still my 6' walmart special combo I bought about 10 years ago! I have a couple of the cabelas brand 7' that work pretty well also. I like the 6' better because it's a stiffer rod. The 7' rods I have are a little too flimsy for cats IMO.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member

Is it possible they were paddlefish?
I have always been a big fan of a heavy duty rod paired with a bait caster for cats.

They could have been paddle fish, sturgeon, ah heck they could have been anything as Gavin's point is the last dam in the system clear to the ocean. They caught a couple piranha at Sioux City, Ia near a warm water discharge back in the 90's. Those they figured were pets that were turned loose.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82