iPilot Remote

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I added iPilot to my Terrova in 2013 and used it for three full seasons on one watch battery. It was easy to notice that the battery started going dry because it wouldn't send any signal once I got up from the driver's seat and went even one step to the back.

In November I pulled out the watch battery and this past April I purchased a new one at Interstate Batteries.

However, ever since, I've had the LCD display go completely blank and wouldn't come back alive unless I slapped it against my other hand, or pant leg. The signal strength, when it shows up, is full. There are some days that it will stop communicating 6-7 times while on the water. This past weekend I believe it only happened twice, so I'll call that a good day for the remote.

When finished fishing the remote goes in the cubby and the boat is housed in the garage, so weathering and stuff like that aren't a problem.

Has anyone else encountered problems with their iPilot remote working property?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the same issue. I blame it on the battery cover. I had a he'll of a time getting it off once and it never went back on quite right.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Similar problem with my 2014 so I hooked up my foot pedal turned it off and on and run it a couple of times. Then left it hooked up and started using the remote again, worked fine.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard that the recommended battery is actually a CR2450N, which is slightly thicker than a CR2450. The workaround is to put a dime behind the battery cover to get better contact. Haven't tried it personally but if it works for you let us know.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? same basic model number by is thicker to maintain contact. Hmmmm... Well, when I contacted MinnKota about the issue and inquiring if many others were having similar complaints, the lady only provided me the exact legal jargon that would shoo off the typical consumer as 'it's not their problem'.

She referred me to their website where I could buy a new remote for $99.00. Oh, really? Gee, THANKS MinnKota for the help on a product that shouldn't be operating with these problems when I've handled the thing with utmost care and only use it for a very limited portion of time compared to people living in the south!

:mad:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still am haunted by weak reception - controlling my unit from the tiller is a PITA - enough so that some days I just throw in the towel

I really have grown weary of MK and am thinking of switching to MG

what's been the general approval level of you xi5 owners? 1 = sucks donkey bottoms to 10 = 32 inch walleye on the happy scale.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're not the first person I've heard from that has had issues with the remote/connection/batteries. When you need to switch out bow mounts, look at motorguide.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still am haunted by weak reception - controlling my unit from the tiller is a PITA - enough so that some days I just throw in the towel

what's been the general approval level of you xi5 owners? 1 = sucks donkey bottoms to 10 = 32 inch walleye on the happy scale.

How long is your boat? Are there many tillers in the 20' or 21' configurations?

I don't understand why they would make a transmitter/receiver that doesn't easily communicate from 25' away, which means a 22' boat should have zero issues since the operator is three feet inside the transom!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

I wouldn't switch to minnkota if they gave me one for free along with miranda kerr missing a piece of a two piece bikini.

10...a f'n 10!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

I had a the Motorguide on my boat for two weeks and then switched back to my Terrova. The anchor and jog feature is awesome for sure, and the thing turns real fast, but not having a readout on power level (or all the other functions for that matter) is a serious PITA. Relying on the beeps to tell you is useless as well as the sound level was very low.

I'm happy with my Terrova but I've had issues where I have to tap the remote to turn it on as well, and I wish they could put a better antenna on the thing. I've thought about trying to extend the antenna, but Minnkota customer service would not tell me where it is.

Honored Member
I bought the new replacement remote and it hasn't worked right since day one. Minkota customer service was not helpful either. 100 bucks down the drain.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the new replacement remote and it hasn't worked right since day one. Minkota customer service was not helpful either. 100 bucks down the drain.

See, that's where I don't want to be. The lady responding to my email inquiry only pointed me toward purchasing a new remote. I didn't reply telling her THAT'S NOT AN OPTION!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long is your boat? Are there many tillers in the 20' or 21' configurations?

I don't understand why they would make a transmitter/receiver that doesn't easily communicate from 25' away, which means a 22' boat should have zero issues since the operator is three feet inside the transom!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member

I wouldn't go back to my Terrova. The Xi5 takes a little more getting used to without the display screen but for me it's a big upgrade. That remote will easily controll the head 40 to 60 feet away. Practiced this in my driveway before trying on the water of course! At congested boat ramps I will deploy the motor, step off on the dock and run it out and away from everyone and anchor. Go up to the truck, Wait my turn, back down and Steer right over to me. I have no complaints, I do have networked with the lowrances.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the price comparisons, apples to apples, between like models?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? same basic model number by is thicker to maintain contact. Hmmmm... Well, when I contacted MinnKota about the issue and inquiring if many others were having similar complaints, the lady only provided me the exact legal jargon that would shoo off the typical consumer as 'it's not their problem'.

She referred me to their website where I could buy a new remote for $99.00. Oh, really? Gee, THANKS MinnKota for the help on a product that shouldn't be operating with these problems when I've handled the thing with utmost care and only use it for a very limited portion of time compared to people living in the south!

:mad:

Call them back and ask to talk to someone WAY higher up the command chain. I don't ever screw around talking with the person answering the phones. I ask for a manager, and if I get the run around from that individual ( not returning calls/ not helpful, etc.), I call back and ask to talk to that persons boss and so on. It works very well for me. Good luck.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't had the best luck with my terrova either. This early summer my unit quit receiving signals from my remote and foot pedal at same time. I like to use foot pedal for directions and remote for speed, anchor etc. Well I could only use one or the other-not both. Took it in and the control panel on the base needed to be replaced. Over $200. So did that then went out and the foot pedal quit working all together. My local guy just exchanged it for a used one he had. Not real impressed.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the price comparisons, apples to apples, between like models?

motorguide is actually a bit cheaper. Now, you'll have to get out of your seat and manually deploy/stow a motorguide. They don't have that option yet.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dirty? wife is expecting right? Titty fairy must have showed up by now.:;:rockitKerr-riffic

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82