After the hunt!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you check your dog over during, and especially after the hunt, and what do you do? Gunnar is just about 9, and before we go I give him a Novox 75 mg ( Vetprofen/dog pain pill). During the day I always watch him to see how he is acting, (after 9 years I can tell when he is having issues). Today when we got home, I sat him down in front of me, and took Q-tips, and cleaned out the little kochia, canola, foxtail grass seeds out from his eyes, and ears. Had quit a few in his eyes. (Make sure you roll the upper and lower eye lids back, to check underneath them). I check his paws for cuts, and stickers\thorns. Beings he is a house dog (he has the run of the house, he lays on the bed and floors, no furniture) his chest/belly is bald, so I check that over. Before I go o bed he gets another pain pill. Remember to have a first aid kit in your hunting vehicle for you, or that special hunting partner, incase you need it while out hunting.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not great about that. I do however make sure he's hydrated before, during and after.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both dogs get a quick tailgate once-over after every hunt. You'd be surprised how beat up dogs get in the field and won't make a whimper.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine gets checked over, an extra scoop of food and saline in his eyes. His eyes get pretty banged up from the cattails and grass and swell up really bad. Also will apply Neosporin to any cuts.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check eyes, ears, and toes. Little extra kibble after a hard day. Maybe a doggie aspirin if he hunts and groans on day 2. Being a spaniel, he gets some snipping and brushing to get the stickers out too.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you check your dog over during, and especially after the hunt, and what do you do? Gunnar is just about 9, and before we go I give him a Novox 75 mg ( Vetprofen/dog pain pill). During the day I always watch him to see how he is acting, (after 9 years I can tell when he is having issues). Today when we got home, I sat him down in front of me, and took Q-tips, and cleaned out the little kochia, canola, foxtail grass seeds out from his eyes, and ears. Had quit a few in his eyes. (Make sure you roll the upper and lower eye lids back, to check underneath them). I check his paws for cuts, and stickers\thorns. Beings he is a house dog (he has the run of the house, he lays on the bed and floors, no furniture) his chest/belly is bald, so I check that over. Before I go o bed he gets another pain pill. Remember to have a first aid kit in your hunting vehicle for you, or that special hunting partner, incase you need it while out hunting.

Damn good post!! We all know...or SHOULD know...who the real work horses are out in the field!! Those dogs would die for us going out there doing what they love and are bred to do. It is up to all of us as responsible owners and masters...to do just that. Take care of our dogs!

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually give my pup a massage. Working out any of the tight legs, back and neck. During the rub down, he gets checked over. Don't do the doggy asprin or extra kibble. His bowl is always full he can eat as much as he likes.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pooch gets a once over after each walk. When we get back to the truck we sit down and share a bottle of water and I pick out any burrs and we take a little break. I kind of like the breaks as much as the actual walks. Just nice to sit and enjoy some time afield with my dog just scratching his ears.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Curious if you think the Novox prior to hunt might be allowing him to push himself harder than he should? You want to hunt as long as possible, but should only hunt as long as the dog is physically able to go.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
I look my dog over after each hunt he is a cockaburr magnet. I keep a cold wet towel in the cooler to rub him down with to help cool him off. I started giving him a couple off table spoons of honey thought the day to help keep his muscles from stiffening up. I read this in a past thread not completely sure if it works but he like the taste. He also gets a good brushing and a swim in the lake at the end of the day when possible.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, 1st of all, as I said, Gunnar is 9,and I am 55, and out of shape ( I should\could lose 20 to 30 pounds), so I don't hunt hard. The places, and stuff I hunt are very easy to hunt (small sloughs, CRP patches, boarders between fields, and kochia patches that a farmer has left in a field). Short time wise to, maybe 1 hour at the most at one time. Then into the pickup for a drive/rest while we move to the next spot. As far as the pain pill before the hunt, it is to get it into his system before he gets sore and stiff.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I check the dogs over good once I get home. I don't have to worry about burs and they have short hair so any cuts are easily seen. My GSP is getting old and would hunt herself to death if I let her so I only hunt till my legs get tired and then call it a day usually about noon. After starting this she isn't stiff and tired the next day.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys do for when your dog has to spend the night in the truck? I came across this over the weekend when the inn-keeper was adamant about a no pet policy that i was previously unaware of. Left my pup in his crate overnight (in cab) with some blankets and a window slightly cracked. I tried sneaking him up later in the night but she busted me..

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys do for when your dog has to spend the night in the truck? I came across this over the weekend when the inn-keeper was adamant about a no pet policy that i was previously unaware of. Left my pup in his crate overnight (in cab) with some blankets and a window slightly cracked. I tried sneaking him up later in the night but she busted me..

So far the dogs haven't had to spend a super cold night in the pickup. But during the late season, they ride with a heat retaining kennel pad and I have a surplus military wool blanket to cover them. Dogs put off a ton of BTUs. As long as there is some sort of insulation, they can stay pretty darn toasty.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we are late season rooster hunting.ie..cold cold cold. and have to keep dogs outside of our hotel room, I use something like this in my topper and plug it in with an extension cord and dogs are nice and toasty in the topper of the my truck overnite.
4d5b65da-69b3-4cb5-95aa-40cb3fc47349_1.79c0da1aa603dd50af2dbb7c37536698.jpeg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we are late season rooster hunting.ie..cold cold cold. and have to keep dogs outside of our hotel room, I use something like this in my topper and plug it in with an extension cord and dogs are nice and toasty in the topper of the my truck overnite.
4d5b65da-69b3-4cb5-95aa-40cb3fc47349_1.79c0da1aa603dd50af2dbb7c37536698.jpeg

Can you recommend a specific unit? That looks perfect.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member

My dogs spend alot of nights outside the hotel in my topper during the fall. They do just fine inside of their kennels with insulated covers, in fact when they get opened up in the am they are damn near hot. People don't give most dogs especially labs enough credit for being very tough. I have buddies who worry about there labs getting cold by sleeping outside in the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you recommend a specific unit? That looks perfect.

If you get a model that plugs into your 12vlt outlet, you better plan on keeping your truck running or having a dead battery in the am. They draw a ton of juice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 186
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84